Author Topic: Was slavery really a motive?  (Read 5219 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Was slavery really a motive?
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 03:15:48 AM »
Relatively few southerners owned slaves, but it was a part of the culture. However, economically, it was becoming less and less tenable for the big slave owners to have such a large part of their wealth tied up in slaves when that wealth could be put to a more lucrative purpose. My guess is slavery would have died out from economic pressures in a few generations anyway.
Well, a lot of people had that idea in 1787; then the cotton gin came along and made slavery more economical than ever before.  Maybe people had learned a lesson from that, I don't know.  A lot of people thought the future of slavery  was in the West, which was up for grabs at the time.  In hindsight we can say that the West was a poor place for slave labor, but at the time it was still an open question. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slzy

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »
in states not in the confederacy in 2005 nearly 3,000,000 bales of cotton were harvested. but cali,okla,and az produced almost all of that. jefferson davis as sec. of war got the gadsden purchase done,for a southern rail road route. whether he could see the split coming,or was actually engineering it i can't say. did he see a confederate san diego pacific naval base? more to empire than just cotton.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 11:06:10 AM »
Relatively few southerners owned slaves, but it was a part of the culture. However, economically, it was becoming less and less tenable for the big slave owners to have such a large part of their wealth tied up in slaves when that wealth could be put to a more lucrative purpose. My guess is slavery would have died out from economic pressures in a few generations anyway.

Incorrect.

AND correct at the same time.

Slavery was more lucrative in the 1850s than it had ever been at any point in its history.

The profits that could be had by a Southern cotton grower were extreme. Even those who didn't grow cotton but relied on other labor-intensive crops, such as tobacco and rice, were generally doing very well.

At the same time, you're correct, the writing was on the wall for slavery economically, only most people didn't realize it.

Why?

Because the British HATED buying American cotton when they had vast regions of their empire where cotton would thrive -- primarily India and Egypt. Egyptian cotton, which was just starting to come into its own in the 1860s, was also a different type, and produced much finer cloth. Even had the South not tried for independence, British cotton began hitting the market hard in the 1870s. Southern cotton production was a fraction of what it had been pre-war, and even so the prices were so depressed that most growers lost money throughout the 1870s.

Then there was the double pronged nastiness of soil depletion and the coming boll wevil.

Vast areas of the South were just starting to show the effects of soil depletion. You simply can't keep growing the same crop on the same soil year after year and expect the soil to hold up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.