Author Topic: Oh GAK! This is disgusting!  (Read 2046 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh GAK! This is disgusting!
« on: January 06, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
I just brought back a pack of Diet Pepsi Lime from the store and poured a can.

It has such a foul metallic taste that it's simply not drinkable. It tastes like iron well water.

Just on a hunch I cracked another can, and it has a metallic taste, but not nearly as bad as the first one.

Pepsi will be hearing from me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HForrest

Re: Oh GAK! This is disgusting!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 02:23:50 PM »
Many diet sodas seem like they have a somewhat metallic taste, never experienced that though.

In terms of diet sodas, I find that their "PepsiOne" is... I won't say 'good', but acceptable and refreshing if you're trying to avoid excessive consumption of full-sugared sodas. No aspartame, either.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »
Oh no, NOTHING like this. It's as if someone dissolved a nail in the damned thing.

I drink Diet Pepsi and/or Diet Coke EVERY day of the year, and I never encountered anything like that.

As for the "avoid aspartame, avoid saccherine, avoid anything and everything!" BS...

This is life. The ONLY thing that's true about it is that no one gets out alive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 02:29:34 PM »
Your problem, sir, is drinking that vile liquid known as cola.

For pure palatory pleasure, nothing is as satisfying as root beer.  Wink
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 02:31:18 PM »
If I WANTED sweetened pond scum, I'd either visit a scummy pond with some sugar in my pocket or I'd drink a root beer.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
Root Beer

Quark: What do you think?
Elim Garak: It's vile.
Quark: I know. It's so bubbly and cloying and happy.
Elim Garak: Just like the Federation.
Quark: And you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.
Elim Garak: It's insidious.
Quark: Just like the Federation.

For my palette, Henry Weinhard makes the best. YMMV

I rarely drink ANY kind of soda.  When I want something sweet and bubbly, it is the above noted root beer, or a 50/50 mix of orange juice and club soda.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
Mike,

Return the Pepsi to the store.  I bet the store will refund or replace it regardless of whether you got a bad batch or you just don't like it.

Years ago I bought some beer at a grocery store in TX.  It was cold when purchased.  I opened a bottle, took one drink, then spit it out.  It was the true definition of "skunky beer."  I returned the beer to the store.  The manager exchanged it for another six pack and all was right with the world.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HForrest

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 04:29:04 PM »
Regarding aspartame, It definitely affects me, negatively. I'm not one of 'those' people... you know, the kind who reads alternative health newsletters, worries about their "toxin" levels, is "sensitive" to every food additive...

But aspartame causes noticable effects for me... it gives me headaches, makes me more irritable, and produces this general "blehh" feeling. I'm pretty sure it can't be good for me.

But whatever, that's just me. Plenty of people seem to be fine with it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
It sounds like you have phenyketonuria.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »
For those of you who want to know what phenylketonuria is, but have neither the time nor the patience to hit Wikipedia..

Phenylketonuria (PKU; IPA: UK /ˌfiːnʌɪlˌkiːtɘˈnjʊɘrɪɘ/ or /ˌfɛnʌɪlˌkiːtɘˈnjʊɘrɪɘ/, US /ˌfɛnɘlˌkitnˈjʊrɪɘ/ or /ˌfinɘlˌkitnˈjʊrɪɘ/) is a human genetic disorder, in which the body does not contain the enzyme, phenylalanine hydroxylase, necessary to metabolize phenylalanine to tyrosine and converts phenylalanine instead to phenylpyruvic acid. Left untreated, phenylpyruvic acid can cause brain damage and progressive mental retardation as a result of its accumulation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylketonuria

Cheesy

I don't think everybody's favorite Militant Marsupial has the 'nuria.

~GnSx

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 05:31:07 PM »
"can cause brain damage and progressive mental retardation as a result of its accumulation."

Funny, when I read that it made me think that most of the people on this forum have "the 'nuria."

HForrest

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 06:06:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm not too concerned.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 07:19:26 PM »
Me either.  I've seen the small children that kick Mike's behind.  Whatta softee.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
Check the experation date on the can.  Outdated sodas, not just Pepsi, taste like crap.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »
Well, I'm glad somebody fell for the "freshness date" marketing scheme...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »
What was it about the name Diet Pepsi Lime that lead you to belive it wouldnt be gag nasty? If you really want to try something awful give coke black a try. I had one once it was so bad I could taste it still the next day.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 04:38:39 AM »
If you really want to try something awful give coke black a try.
I *like* Coke Blak.  I don't like the price, but I like the flavor. I also like that it has fewer calories than regular Coke.

I'm not a soda drinker most of the time though.  Too much sugar, too many calories, etc.  I despise most diet colas. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 05:30:44 AM »
"What was it about the name Diet Pepsi Lime that lead you to belive it wouldnt be gag nasty?"

Oh yeah, I tend to drink ONLY things that I hate just because I like abusing myself.

Jesus...  rolleyes

And oh, when it comes to diet colas, the freshness date is a VERY valid indicator of how the drink is going to taste.

A few months ago I went shooting with Mtnbkr, Mal H, and another friend of ours. Hot day, so Mal handed me a Diet Coke. I took one mouthful and spit it out. It wasn't sweet, it was bitter and dead tasting. It was, at that point, over 2 years old and well past the freshness date on the can.

None of the Pepsis I was drinking last night was past the freshness date. The third one I opened from the 12 pack tasted just fine.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 08:48:17 AM »
Genetically, some people can't taste aspartame the same way others do. I'm in that category; if I dab a little sweet and lo on my tongue, it's got a hint of sweet but really it tastes like cornstarch and cream of tartar.

Diet Dr. Pepper, before the latest revision, tasted downright salty. It's passable now, but I definitely know I'm not drinking a regular cola.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 09:02:27 AM »
FWIW. I've noted that diet colas (with aspartame) that are a year or so past their "freshness date" taste funny.

After careful reflection, I came to conclude that that "funny" taste was what a cola would taste like with no sweetening whatsoever...ie, aspartame apparently loses it's sweetness after a certain amount of time, and I was drinking caffeinated, carbonated, caramel-water.

Don't know if this applies or not.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 10:54:23 AM »
The best diet drink that I can think of is called WATER.  Low cost too, provided it is out of thefaucet. 

If you have chlorinated water where you can taste the chlorine; setting a gallon of water out in the sun for a day will remove the chlorine taste

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 07:17:44 AM »
If I WANTED water, I'd have had a glass of water.

I didn't WANT water, I wanted a Diet Pepsi.

FYI, I called Pepsi's phone line and talked to a guy there. I'm getting a coupon for a replacement case. He said it could be the result of any of a number of things, from a bad can lining to a breakdown in the aspertame.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 07:28:11 AM »
Hmmm . . . I recently dumped a couple of 2-liter bottles of Diet Pepsi because of a harsh "acid" taste. They were well-within the freshness date stamped on the bottle, too.

Wonder what's going on in our food* chain . . .   shocked

* - soda IS one of the major food groups, right?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 07:43:48 AM »
Genetically, some people can't taste aspartame the same way others do. I'm in that category; if I dab a little sweet and lo on my tongue, it's got a hint of sweet but really it tastes like cornstarch and cream of tartar.

Diet Dr. Pepper, before the latest revision, tasted downright salty. It's passable now, but I definitely know I'm not drinking a regular cola.

Funny, I must be one of those people. I think all those artificial sweeteners taste like salt or are chemical bitter flavor. Also splenda is bitter to me, tried stevia and got the same results.

Mike, I wonder if your diet soda started making benzine. Benzine can form in soft drinks made with Vitamin C and sodium or potassium benzoate. Citric acid is vitamin C and diet soda has sodium in it. Makes you wonder. FDA is looking into it since Benzine is linked to leukemia.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536