Author Topic: On mandatory evacuations  (Read 2640 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
On mandatory evacuations
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:32:57 PM »
The talking news heads here in San Diego are urging people who are holding out in mandatory evac areas to leave.  They are saying the police don't have time to go in and drag them from their homes. 

That's all well and good, but I think if someone wants to stay, they should be told that they are in extreme, life threatening danger, and then left alone.  They news is right, the fire and police can't drag every one from their homes, so they should just let them stay.  Thoughts?

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: On mandatory evacuations
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
why are they ordering evacuations in the first place? fire?

i am not a big fan of government ordering anyone to do anything.

it seems to me if you are dumb enough to stick it out, feel free.

i do know that in some of the "mandatory" evactuations that were ordered in previous fires out west, a fair number of people stuck it out, and were able to save their homes by judicious use of chain saws. i read that at least of few of the chain saw users were later charged criminally for cutting down the trees before they could burn down.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »
Huge fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 01:23:43 PM »
I go with "Tell them the danger and let them decide."

Of course, some dipstick will die out of of sheer stubborn stupidity.  Then we'd never hear the end of it from the bedwetters.  They would cry incessantly about the gov't "not doing something to keep the people safe."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
I've cleared defensible space around my house, and I have my own f/f system (tank and gas powered pump).  Other than the fact that I'm also on the local VFD, I would stay with my house.  As it is, once I get paged out I can only hope I get to save my own place ....  undecided

I've seen aerial movies of a lot of those places in California.  The houses have no defensible space at all.  If they had cleared out around their houses the way I have, there would be no vegetation left between the houses at all.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 01:32:46 PM »
If they had cleared out around their houses the way I have,

They can't.  Enviro regs won't let them clear the brush to create said fire barrier.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »
I don't really have a lot of sympathy, except for the firefighters who have to make an attempt to save houses and stop the fire.  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

They can't.  Enviro regs won't let them clear the brush to create said fire barrier.

Brad

Really? I think the insurance companies shouldn't have to pay then because preventative maintenance isn't being allowed/done.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »

Brad

Really? I think the insurance companies shouldn't have to pay then because preventative maintenance isn't being allowed/done.

I think the insurance companies offer wildfire insurance just like they have earthquake insurance.  Not 100% certain on that, though.

Brad
-HankB

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 02:57:13 PM »
Fire insurance in California is still private, as far as I know.  Earthquake insurance is offered through the California Earthquake Authority, a state-run agency.
To the stars!

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »

Brad

Never heard of that. It takes me two weeks every year to weedwack around this place out to at least 100'.  Everything right down to the ground.  Then I go around six acres with a chainsaw and cut off low hanging branches (fire ladders) that might allow a fire to get into the canopy of the trees.  Nothing flammable is up against the house, which is stucco with a mission tile roof.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 03:46:30 PM »
 think once the evacutions are mandatory, and every one has been told, it is up to them to decide to leave.

If they die, there should be no payout of insurance to the heirs. It is life insurance, not stupid insurance.

My ex did not evacuate the last time there was a fire like this in SoCal, and she was fine. All I can hope is she stays put this tme and the fire gets a better aim on her place.

bob

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 03:49:06 PM »
Crest was just evacuated.  It was devastated during the 2003 Cedar fire.  My friends lost their home in that fire.  I hope to God they don't lose the new one.  It took them two years to get rebuilt.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 05:24:36 PM »

Brad
I remember a case some years back where a guy cleared the brush as the fires were approaching, saving his home, and the EPA, FWA, or some other government agency fined him on the basis that his actions threatened an endangered species of kangaroo rat.

He told the .gov to go to hell, and told them to take him to court, as he wanted them to convince a jury that a rat was more important than a person's home.

In this case, fearing adverse publicity and a loss in court . . . the .gov backed down.  grin

Anyway, clandestine spraying of Round-Up will take care of the unwanted brush. ("Honest, inspector, I LOVED the brush around my home - vandals must hate me, and I hope you catch them!!!")
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 05:36:58 PM »

Brad

Never heard of that. It takes me two weeks every year to weedwack around this place out to at least 100'.  Everything right down to the ground.  Then I go around six acres with a chainsaw and cut off low hanging branches (fire ladders) that might allow a fire to get into the canopy of the trees.  Nothing flammable is up against the house, which is stucco with a mission tile roof.

I used to live in El Cajon. It amazed me how people that lived in Lakeside, Santee, Jamul, etc had CEDAR SHAKE SHINGLES on their roofs!! I was like......... people...... get with reality!! Riley, I am pleased that you've done the sane thing and went typical southwestern style. It only makes sense in those areas.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »
Crest was just evacuated.  It was devastated during the 2003 Cedar fire.  My friends lost their home in that fire.  I hope to God they don't lose the new one.  It took them two years to get rebuilt

And I hope they built the new one with fire in mind.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 08:20:46 PM »
Apparently, one of those 60's-ish concrete dome homes that was up on a hilltop survived perfectly intact, despite literally having fire go right over it and engulf it. It's just covered with soot, but didn't catch fire.

So...ugly, but practical.  smiley

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 07:16:29 AM »
Cool, that house sorta looks like a suburban bunker.  The overhangs for the windows could be overhead protection for low-angle artillery.

I used to live in El Cajon. It amazed me how people that lived in Lakeside, Santee, Jamul, etc had CEDAR SHAKE SHINGLES on their roofs!! I was like......... people...... get with reality!! Riley, I am pleased that you've done the sane thing and went typical southwestern style. It only makes sense in those areas.

I think that's just what the houses were built with, and often people can't afford a new roof, or have other priorities that are more pressing than the possibility of fire.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »

I think that's just what the houses were built with, and often people can't afford a new roof, or have other priorities that are more pressing than the possibility of fire.

70 years ago that might have been the case, but cedar shakes are a premium item.  They make the place look "rustic". rolleyes   They're also slightly more fire-resistant than "strike anywhere" matches.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 02:41:09 AM »
The talking news heads here in San Diego are urging people who are holding out in mandatory evac areas to leave.  They are saying the police don't have time to go in and drag them from their homes. 

That's all well and good, but I think if someone wants to stay, they should be told that they are in extreme, life threatening danger, and then left alone.  They news is right, the fire and police can't drag every one from their homes, so they should just let them stay.  Thoughts?

I'm fully with you there.  I grew up partly on the NC coast in Hurricane country.  Of course, that was before Bush engineered super Hurricanes to destroy coastal cities so he could kill black people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Len Budney

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 02:45:01 AM »
Lew Rockwell commented today on the madness of environmental regs, antiquated firefighting techniques and forced evacuations.

The fires force us to choose. We thrive and rule nature, or nature rules and eats us alive. The tendency nowadays is to believe we can have it both ways. We can build great cities and gorgeous suburbs, amass glorious wealth, live in comfort, and meanwhile let the surrounding areas take their natural course. This allows us to sit in the safety of our homes with a pious sense that we have done right by Mother Nature and she will bless us.

In fact, she has not blessed Southern California. She has been unleashed, and she is gorging herself on civilization itself.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 06:55:02 AM »

70 years ago that might have been the case, but cedar shakes are a premium item.  They make the place look "rustic". rolleyes   They're also slightly more fire-resistant than "strike anywhere" matches.

Well, my house that's in a suburb built soon after WWII had those super-flammable shakes until about 10-15 years ago, because of financial issues that prevented proper house maintenance.

Furthermore--I might very well be wrong about this--but I thought it was generally not possible or legal to put up shake rooves in this state.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »

Well, my house that's in a suburb built soon after WWII had those super-flammable shakes until about 10-15 years ago, because of financial issues that prevented proper house maintenance.

Furthermore--I might very well be wrong about this--but I thought it was generally not possible or legal to put up shake rooves in this state.

For the record, Creeping, I left San Diego some 20 years ago. I watched brand new houses being built with cedar shakes back then. I was just flabbergasted. I was like, duh, this is a fire prone area, why not use tile roofs?? Granted, one can't totally fireproof their houses, but at least they can use some sense in building and take the area they are building in, into consideration.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »
I can't wait till we replace our roof with a steel roof...

We've got asphalt shingles on it now. Of course, we aren't in a fire prone area, but we have had some scares- dry weather and summer lighting strikes create worries...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 07:55:47 AM »

For the record, Creeping, I left San Diego some 20 years ago. I watched brand new houses being built with cedar shakes back then. I was just flabbergasted. I was like, duh, this is a fire prone area, why not use tile roofs?? Granted, one can't totally fireproof their houses, but at least they can use some sense in building and take the area they are building in, into consideration.

Okay, you guys forced me to look it up:

"Q: Can cedar shakes and shingles still be used in California?

A: Yes, if they conform to fire-retardant standards. Effective July 1, 1995 California State law mandates minimum Class C fire retardant roofs. Class B rated roofs are required in specified "very high hazard severity zones". 

http://www.clarkegroup.com/products/cedarplus/question.html