Author Topic: Help with a practical joke (cell phone)?  (Read 1624 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Help with a practical joke (cell phone)?
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:50:59 AM »
One of the guys here is an incessant practical joker.  The good make-you-laugh-at-yourself kind, not the destructive fun-at-others'-expense kind.  I want to play a practical joke on him.  Is there a place online where you can type in a message or set up some kind of (nice) prank call to his cell phone?  Has to be relatively clean - rated PG at most.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

hexidismal

Re: Help with a practical joke (cell phone)?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:47:36 PM »
There was until recently a company selling phone cards which you could buy and in using them you could enter whatever number you wanted to appear on the persons caller ID. I believe they even offered some kind of voice changing. I wasn't aware they weren't in business anymore until trying to find it for this post. Maybe they got busted on people using it for illegal purposes.

Some general calling cards are semi-anonymous. Depending on the card companies level of service, the receiver of the call may or may not see the actual number you are calling from. Heres a test that someone did regarding this.
http://www.phonecarddepot.com/news/Are_Calling_Cards_Anonymous.html

Some cell phone companies offer free text messaging to their subscribers from their web site. You can enter that its from any name you want, but its pretty obvious that its coming from the company. There are also websites like txt2day.com that allow you to send text messages, but they also list in the message that it was sent through their own website.
I'm hexidismal on THR, TFL, APS, and many other forums.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »
Call 911 from his phone, tell them you're about to go on a shooting rampage.
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:05:42 PM »
Forward every phone you come across to his phone.

Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 04:11:58 AM »
There used to be a thing where you could have Samuel L. Jackson call and yell at someone as part of the "Snakes on a Plane" promotion, but not sure if it's still there.

Otherwise, careful, the FCC has zero sense of humor.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:19:40 AM »
Is there a place online where you can type in a message or set up some kind of (nice) prank call to his cell phone? 

Brad; If you tell me what cell carrier he has (Sprint, Cingular, etc), what message you want, and an email address you want it to come from (The email address can be made up), then I can send it to his number.

-Nick

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:59:02 AM »
Forward every phone you come across to his phone.

That's a good one, but how do you forward a phone that isn't networked together?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 07:02:03 PM »
There used to be a thing where you could have Samuel L. Jackson call and yell at someone as part of the "Snakes on a Plane" promotion, but not sure if it's still there.

Otherwise, careful, the FCC has zero sense of humor.

That was great, a friend had em do it to my number. And he wasn't yelling, just telling you how awesome Snakes on a plane was.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.