Author Topic: City Ridiculous, USA  (Read 1664 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
City Ridiculous, USA
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »
3 weeks ago the city street sweeper hit our neighborhood basketball hoop.  We live in a dead end neighborhood of 48 houses separated in cul-de-sac's.  We moved in 7yrs ago and there was a hoop across the street that leaned over into the road so you could actually get a half court game going and it was flat.  Myself and several neighbors saw the incident, I contacted the city immediately and finally heard back from them today.

The hoop is in the right of way and needs to be removed, luckily it didn't cause any damage to our truck otherwise we would have to charge the landowner where the hoop resides.  Who owns the hoop, they need to remove it.  Not just that but it is a safety issue for other drivers and the kids (playing the the dead end street).

As a city agenda I say let's not promote neighborhood communication, excercise, teamwork, scraped knees, or bodily coordination, let's get everyone inside playing video games, getting fat, and not be socialized.  Let's not take responsibility for our or our representatives actions and pass the buck as far as possible.

I am sick to my stomach.  We have 14 kids under the age of 13 in our 9 house cul-de-sac alone not to mention the kids in the other 39 houses that come to our street because it is the only flat area to learn to ride bikes, play soccer, basketball, or football amongst other games.

Anyone who would like to help me in my quest to keep the hoop and have the city replace the bent steel post let me know and I will gladly pass along my city council members emails.  I would also like to hear if you disagree, because the fact that it is a city code and a POTENTIAL safety hazard doesn't cut it with me.

All the best,
Polish

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: City Ridiculous, USA
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:40:19 AM »
Well, I don't live there, so I can't really do anything? How many members of this forum are your neighbors? Those are the folks who need to do something. They need to go to the city council meetings, etc. Maybe ask for a GRANT to put together a neighborhood recreational facility...

Your mistake was assuming that the city would fix something they broke. Nope.

Blog under construction

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »
The government won't fix your problem.  They probably should since they broke it, but they won't.

Look, my brother and I removed an in ground basketball goal in less than an hour as teenagers for similar reasons.  He figured out how to cut it down and cut it into two sections, and I took care of the disposal and whatnot.  Installing one would take a bit more effort, but if fifteen people want this replaced, your question is already answered. 

That is, assuming the city isn't blocking you from doing that very thing.  It's hard to tell from this recollection.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
Arrange for the city to come by at a certain time.  Before the city arrives, remove the basketball goal.  When the city is gone, install a new goal.

Loads less effort and expense.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 05:06:07 AM »
Roll-a-goal.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 07:04:48 AM »
Those fall over on you.

Install a new post, with the goal out a few feet overhanging, and parallel with the street...
Blog under construction

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »
only if you don't weight them properly.  We have on on our street, it only falls over when someone intentionally tips it over.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 07:19:57 AM »
Those fall over on you.

Not if the base is full of lead shot.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:17 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, The hoop currently sits in the yard with the backboard overhanging and parallel to the street. 

I received a call from one of the city council members that I emailed yesterday.  He apologized for the response I received and talked to the mayor.  It sounds like we will be able to keep the hoop but the payment for the damage will probably be on our dime.  I am supposed to follow up with him in a week or so to get more information.  Hopefully he isn't blowing smoke up my perverbial tushy!

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »
Look, my brother and I removed an in ground basketball goal
What the hell is a "basketball goal?" It's a hoop, man. grin
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 06:10:21 PM »

Yeah! Until I read this thread I had never even heard of it being referred to as a "basketball goal." Basketball hoop!  smiley
Andy

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »
It's that thing you hit your forearm on while dunking.

The stepladder is the thing you stand on to dunk.

Blog under construction

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 03:38:32 AM »

Yeah! Until I read this thread I had never even heard of it being referred to as a "basketball goal." Basketball hoop!  smiley

I wonder if it's a regional thing. You know, like in the way we have bubblers here.  Wink
Andy

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »
Maybe it's because there is a NET involved.

Hockey=Goal
Soccer=Goal
Lacrosse=Goal
Field Goal= Kicking it into the net?Huh?? Hey it's a stretch but keeps the hypothesis going.

I think originally the hoop was a peach basket or something like that therefore the name, otherwise we might have a different name for the sport.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 07:59:59 AM »
I've heard both, but I always thought hoop was just the more popular term.  Goal makes perfect sense, too, of course. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 08:10:26 AM »
In the newspaper stats for basketball it is FGA and FGM.

FGA=Field goals attempted
FGM=Field goals made

So in summation a Goal is what you get when the ball goes through the hoop which is what they call the top circle of a peach basket.  Oh yeah, I think the Basketball hoop/goal post is called a standard too.