Author Topic: Am I just being paranoid...  (Read 982 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Am I just being paranoid...
« on: October 25, 2007, 07:09:27 PM »
...or do you think it was coincidence that, according to one of the Learned People interviewed on the news, at least one arsonist set his stuff in just the right spot to do the most damage, given prevailing winds and terrain?

Heck, if I had 20 jihadists in the LA area, I'd be passing out gasoline and matchbooks...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Am I just being paranoid...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:54:10 PM »
if I had twenty jihadists in the LA area,

You'd have moving, reactive targets.  Happy shooting!   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »
Sigh... I guess it's one of the down sides to this being a free country, but we are such EASY targets...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
Oh.  I meant that if you had twenty jihadis, you could use them as target practice. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »
It helps when

1) Nature cooperates, and

2) The people in the area are too stupid to create firebreaks and put fire resistant roofs on their house.

Saw the same damn thing happen in Tahoe.  People want their homes to be right up in the trees, so they fail to clear a firebreak, and then because they want the forest to remain "natural" (Hint:  No such thing as a natural forest in the United States), they let underbrush build up, which creates fire ladders, which allows fires access to the crowns of trees, which makes the fire even larger than it normally would have been.

Southern california is the same thing, just without the trees. People want their homes right up next to the "wilderness" and so fail to create fire breaks, and then they stop natural fires, which causes a buildup of fuel (i.e. lots of thick vegetation, which in many cases is dead). Then you get massive fires that cause thousands to evacuate.

I'm really not feeling that much sympathy for those in Southern California right now.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:14:13 PM »
my goats took care of underbrush and my chainsaw the larger dead stuff

last big round of fires i remember one house in neighborhood that survived  was an asian engineer who built it using good sense  you'd think others woould too   you'd be mistaken

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:54:14 AM »
IIRC, a couple of years ago there were fires around the Oakland area, and there was one house that survived. TV news interviewed the owner.

He said that in addition to clearing trees and brush from around the house, he built the outside out of brick and stucco, and put on a tile roof.

His neighbors were upset when he built the house, since it stuck out like a sore thumb, especially the roof; cedar shakes were "proper" for the neighborhood.

Their houses all burned.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 04:05:44 AM »
There's also one house on a hill there that survived despite having fire completely engulf it. Everything inside was fine.

It was one of those concrete "monolithic dome" ones.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 05:16:50 AM »
...or do you think it was coincidence that, according to one of the Learned People interviewed on the news, at least one arsonist set his stuff in just the right spot to do the most damage, given prevailing winds and terrain?

Heck, if I had 20 jihadists in the LA area, I'd be passing out gasoline and matchbooks...

I would think that it's not rocket science.

Light the fire at the bottom of the hill, wherever there's good brush, and the prevailing wind is also going uphill. Look at a map or Google Earth to find concentrations of homes and structures that would be in the way.
I promise not to duck.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 05:44:49 AM »
The spread of the fire was caused by downed power lines, and winds up to 80 MPH.  The Santiago fire is the only one being investigated as arson, as far as I know.  But yeah, it would be really easy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 10:09:24 AM »
One attempted arsonist paid the price, it seems.  I hear LE popped one yesterday.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw