Author Topic: Why Are We Bombing Lybia and not Syria?  (Read 6620 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Why Are We Bombing Lybia and not Syria?
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2011/04/22/syria-what-pjmedia-is-doing/
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/pjm-exclusive-video-from-syrias-great-friday-uprising-content-warning/?singlepage=true

(Heads-up: the second link is rather graphic)

Likely because we had nothing to gain by jumping on Libya and smashing Assad's Syrian gov't would be in American interests.  Not certain fiddling in Syria is the right answer, but it is righter than messing in Libya. At the least, we could destroy a client of Iran.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Why Are We Bombing Lybia and not Syria?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
We are going alphabetically through the mid-east.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »

Then why did we skip Iran going from Afghanistan to Iraq?  :P

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:43:42 PM »
Then why did we skip Iran going from Afghanistan to Iraq?  :P

You spell potatoe, I spell potato...  Politics don't use no spiel chigger.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »
From afghanistan to iraq to libya, but leaving out Bahrain, Abu dhabi, Jordan, Lebanon (been there, done that?), Kuwait (well, kinda been there), Dubai, Israel, azerbajian, the aforementioned Iran, and if we include predominantly Muslim north Africa, Algeria, ethiopia, Eritrea.

Alphabetical would be easier I guess, especially skipping those readily allied with us.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
Libya is in the Mid-East  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Libya is in the Mid-East  ???
That's why I said "predominently muslim north Africa in my response" :)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
I'll tell you  Why Are We Bombing Libya NOT "lybia" and not Syria, Ghaddaffi dresses like an extra from one of those cheesy Star Wars movies, and that guy from Syria dresses somewhat more normally ...  :angel: :laugh:

B.O hates it when world leaders are not stylish  :police: [ar15] [ar15]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:34:19 PM »
I heard he got his hat from LL Bean  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
Why Are We Bombing Lybia and not Syria?  Washington D.C.  FIFY. [popcorn] ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
[quote author=roo_ster l

Likely because we had nothing to gain by jumping on Libya and smashing Assad's Syrian gov't would be in American interests.  Not certain fiddling in Syria is the right answer, but it is righter than messing in Libya. At the least, we could destroy a client of Iran.

[/quote]

upon rereading your question it looks as if the answer is in the question, the Dear Leader isn't acting in the USA's best interest.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:20:45 AM »
In all fairness we do owe Gaddaffi a serious ass whoopin'. Now granted it should have been done a long time ago when it was due, but better late than never I guess.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:58:40 AM »
. . . Likely because we had nothing to gain by jumping on Libya and smashing Assad's Syrian gov't would be in American interests . . .
Some Democrats think the only "just" wars are where we don't have any obvious self-interest . . . although in this case they may have forgotten that Khadaffi was behind a couple of terrorist attacks that killed Americans.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »
But we are doing sanctions and the UN is writing a very strongly worded letter.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
Qaddafi was a friend until he wasn't--like Mubarek.  The Red Queen is running the State Dept. and the DOD.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 07:32:51 PM »
Well, we probably shouldn't be doing anything in either country to begin with... how about first finishing what we started elsewhere? :laugh:

If "kinetic military action" were taken in Syria, wouldn't Iran light the fuse in Iraq sending us back to 2007? Increased Iranian interference in Afghanistan might be a consequence too. Iran has a couple of warships in the Med... could an "incident" with them occur off the Syrian coast sparking a large scale confrontation?

What about Hezbollah? I don't know just how responsive they really are to Syria, but my guess is that they would try to start something with Israel in retaliation to US raids which just might prompt another Lebanon invasion. And Israel probably would not be well served by getting in to a war (for whatever reason) with any Arab country in the midst of all the revolts and anger going on. With Mubarak gone and pissed off Egyptians potentially swaying their military, who is going to guarantee Egypt remains nice and passive in what might be viewed as another Jew v. Arab war?

To top it off there likely would be very little international support for a UN resolution against Syria's government, even if there were, Russia or China would have probably vetoed it and the US would have to go-it-alone yet again further compromising it's image and credibility in the region. And stretching resources some more.

Gaddafi on the other hand was a conveniently crazy, isolated, easy target that was supposed to go away really fast, and most important of all: the UK, France and other Euro ally countries rely quite a bit on Libyan oil exports. They have a vested interest in Libya and apparently so do we by matter of association with them.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »
Aha, found this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuqZfaj34nc giving another possible explanation on why Libya is such a big deal... it's all about protecting the value of western fiat currency vs. oil, apparently. In short, if Gadhafi had his way: you want Libyan oil, you would have to pay in gold. He was planning to launch a gold based currency. If this ever became a trend, it would be a death blow to western financial systems. That is why the Europeans especially would be so surprisingly eager to get him out [ar15] as they import a lot of Libyan oil and really couldn't afford to pay in gold for it..

This also explains why and how the [rebel] Libyan National Transitional Council  was so incredibly fast to set up a brand new Libyan Central Bank http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-mainmenu-26/africa-mainmenu-27/6915-libyan-rebels-create-central-bank-oil-company that unlike Gadhafi, would guarantee the trade of fiat money for oil. They probably received enormous international banking support to get this institution running. Do you believe a bunch of rag-tag "freedom fighters" getting into such financial complexity even as they still lacked a stable front line on the battle field?

At the end of the video a similar situation is hinted to have been a prime factor that led up to 2003 Iraq invasion. Saddam would stop taking US Dollars http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,998512,00.html , he was going to change over to Euros. No wonder European countries were so adamant to stay out of Iraq. It was in their interest to have Saddam stay as he would be setting the stage for a transition from petro-dollars to petro-euros, favoring the EU and screwing America. What if other oil producing leaders followed? Thinking objectively, that would be a faaaar greater threat to our government than any WMDs Saddam might have had or planned on having.

What do you think, is this  [tinfoil] or does it explain a lot? At the very least, it makes more sense than the official "humanitarian" save the children mission.

As a side note, how exactly is the Libyan leader's name spelled?? There are about four variations floating around ???
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
....As a side note, how exactly is the Libyan leader's name spelled?? There are about four variations floating around ???

Uh huh.  Years ago in London I went to Madam Toussad's --- there was a wax dummy there of Kaddafy but I was perplexed at their spelling ;  Gathafy.

Joan Collin's wax dummy was much more interesting..... ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
When has our foreign policy been guided by "American interests?"  And which "Americans," exactly, are we talking about?  Please.  The enemies chosen by our Presidents and the U.S. State Dept. and the DOD fit agendas that become unraveled years later, if not by historians then by "conspiracy theorists."  The American people became bystanders in history quite a while ago.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.