Author Topic: Why Illinois is Circling the Drain  (Read 6049 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Why Illinois is Circling the Drain
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/29/investing/illinois-budget-crisis-downgrade/index.html

Illinois is about to be downgraded to Junk bond status.  That's the good news.  It will make it harder for the state to borrow.   The even better news is that it will force various "triggers" for swaps and other payments from Illinois governmental entities.  Money that they don't have like in the Chicago Public Schools.  (The teachers are still demanding a raise or are threatening to go on strike....Have fun striking while you are unemployed.)  If that happens CPS will go bankrupt.  They don't have the money to cover.   That will drag Chicago down, and then the whole rotten edifice will collapse.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-fear-of-junk-rating-spurs-illinois-to-renegotiate-swaps-triggers-2017-6
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Why Illinois is Circling the Drain
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:06:41 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/29/investing/illinois-budget-crisis-downgrade/index.html

Title:  "How Illinois became America's most messed-up state"

Jerry Brown and the California legislature are upset.  All the work they put into screwing up the Golden State, and they lose out . . . to Illinois??

"All of these problems are governance and management weaknesses," Hampton said.

That's a polite way of saying the political leaders broke the system.

Can I get an Amen?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:28:20 AM »
Why?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
That will drag Chicago down, and then the whole rotten edifice will collapse.

This state only, or everywhere?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:26:18 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
The reason they're getting worried is that Hillary is not POTUS.

I really think that Illinois/Chicago politicians were counting on a Federal bailout - soaking the taxpayers in better run states to come to their rescue. But with a GOP POTUS and a GOP congress, that's unlikely to happen. (Despite the best efforts of the RINO caucus.) So that's why we're seeing so many stories now about the state's pending implosion.

Illinois just lost the lottery - one story I saw said it's because they no longer have the money available to contribute to winnings because of various court orders. Now think about that for a moment - lottos are money makers for all the states that have them, including Illinois. But they're going to LOSE a source of millions of dollars a year in income, because judges have decided their spending priorities don't include lotto payouts. So the income of this cash-strapped state is further reduced.  :facepalm:

I see the potential for problems down the road - including in the worst case scenario, outbreaks of violence. (Chicago is already the USA's murder capitol.) And if riots begin to spread, who's going to stop them? Police who haven't been paid?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
I wonder if this means that the state will default on pension payments. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
It's actually worse than that. The Illinois lottery runs at a profit. Obviously. $90m per year, give or take. They could self-fund but aren't allowed. The bills to allow them to are tied up in committee.

Convenience store owners are worried locals will start making more out of state trips for soda (specially taxed), cigarettes (always highly taxed) and now lottery tickets that will actually pay out. They've been sued for delaying winner payouts already.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-illinois-lottery-payout-met-20161209-story.html

They semi recently privitized the lottery and that went as well as expected. The games were rigged even more than usual. Often games would not allow anyone to win the top prizes. The management company has been paid based on how much profit it brought the state, so they have every incentive to cheat the purchasers. Normally states pay out 85 ish percent in winnings compared to revenue. Under NorthStar, it's around 60%.

Illinois has been killing their lottery long before the budget hostage issue. The neighboring state appreciates the additional revenue.

I wonder if this means that the state will default on pension payments. 

That's the extremely big concern that is frankly causing the junk bond downrating. They owe hundreds of billions, have a drastic shortfall, and continue to raise union pay and benefits. The biggest problem being the pension obligations.

Short of ending the majority of corruption, reducing spending and increase revenues, there's going to be a default at some point. I assume they were betting on a federal bailout.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
I should probably mount spikes and a flame thrower on my Taurus, for our impending Mad Max environment.  And tell my daughter to stay on in NYC, "where it's safer", once her summer class is over.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
I should probably mount spikes and a flame thrower on my Taurus, for our impending Mad Max environment. 
I would suggest taking out the rear seats and mounting a Dillon Aero M134
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHYe9qiz6w
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
. . . Convenience store owners are worried locals will start making more out of state trips for soda (specially taxed), cigarettes (always highly taxed) and now lottery tickets that will actually pay out . . .
I was in the Chicago area (one of the outer-ring suburbs) last Thanksgiving. My cousin - older than me, and long retired - is in a condo on the top (fourth) floor with a little more than half my single level, single family home's square footage, and is paying 50% more in property tax than I am. Soda in Chicago (or Cook County?) carries an additional penny an ounce tax as well as sales tax. According to her, ALL the grocery and convenience stores within a few miles of the county line on the Chicago side have seen a drastic loss of business, and all the ones within a few miles of the county line on the OTHER side have seen a significant uptick. People drive a couple of miles to save on soda, and as long as they're there, they do the rest of their shopping as well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
Soda in Chicago (or Cook County?) carries an additional penny an ounce tax as well as sales tax. According to her, ALL the grocery and convenience stores within a few miles of the county line on the Chicago side have seen a drastic loss of business, and all the ones within a few miles of the county line on the OTHER side have seen a significant uptick. People drive a couple of miles to save on soda, and as long as they're there, they do the rest of their shopping as well.
How much soda do you have to drink for that to make sense?  I sure as hell wouldn't drive *miles* (ie more than 1) to save what I'm guessing is a couple bucks on a larger grocery bill.

That's like driving across town to save a few cents per gallon on your gas (resulting in a $1 savings on a $30 gas purchase).

Chris

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
How much soda do you have to drink for that to make sense?  I sure as hell wouldn't drive *miles* (ie more than 1) to save what I'm guessing is a couple bucks on a larger grocery bill.

That's like driving across town to save a few cents per gallon on your gas (resulting in a $1 savings on a $30 gas purchase).

Chris

Soda tax is $.01 per ounce.  Cigarette tax is over 100% per pack*.  Sales tax is ~11% (depending on the town/village). Then you're paying $.80 in Chicago and Cook county taxes.

Slide into one of the collar counties and you avoid the 1 per ounce soda tax (and it's not just soda, but anything that comes in bottle/can/dispenser that's not plain water or alcohol.)  $4.18 per pack of cigs, Sales tax on everything else drops to 7-8% again depending the town/village you shop in.  Gas near me runs about $.30-$.50 more per gallon then what I pay in Indiana.   And that's in my NON-Chicago/Cook County city.   Gas prices in Chicago were around $2.79.  The local, to me stations, were ~$2.49.  I paid $2.10 in Indiana on the way to Indy this weekend.

If your going to get gas and maybe a large pop, it makes sense to hit the stop and rob just across the county line.  Doing Grocery shopping for the week.  Depending on where you live (South Suburbs especially), head for the border.

*- 1. Chicago ($1.18) plus Cook County ($3.00) plus Illinois ($1.98). $6.16 per pack plus actual cost of the cigarettes plus 11% sales tax.  So you are looking at $7-8 per PACK.  A carton will run you $70-$80 bucks.

Meanwhile the state is being sued by everyone and everyone they owe money to.  Illinois has lost control of the budgeting process and it's checkbook.  Judges are now deciding how Illinois is to spend (it's little) money.  In fact, more than they have, and more than their cashflow.  We're boned.  We're Doomidid.  Here's the elected state Comptroller.  And this is just the tip of the Iceberg.  By having to give more to debtors then we have (or can cash-flow) there's nothing for schools, local .gov's (they are supposed to get a portion of the state sales tax), etc.  I'm sooooooOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOO glad we expanded medicaid as part of Obamacare.  That went well...

https://www.facebook.com/ILComptroller/videos/460195857665935/

*- 1. Chicago ($1.18) plus Cook County ($3.00) plus Illinois ($1.98) = $6.16 per pack + cost of pack and sales tax.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:55:24 AM by Amy Schumer »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
. . .  Sales tax is ~11% (depending on the town/village), cross over into one of the collar counties.
Chicago has multiple taxes near suburbs don't have. Several decades ago under mayor Jane Byrne, Chicago put in a CTA gas tax (CTA - Chicago Transit Authority, the local bus service) and a higher sales tax, and ordered the suburbs to collect it, too.

They didn't.

So Ms. Byrne went to court, and after much wrangling, got a court order for suburbs to collect Chicago taxes from Chicago residents. Only thing is, the order came from a Chicago MUNICIPAL judge, whose authority ended at the city limits.

Suburbs STILL didn't collect Chicago's taxes, and don't to this day.

But it showed you what kind of mentality existed even back then.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 10:57:35 PM »
We'll end up paying for this bullshit in the end.  The Feds won't let them fail as they absolutely deserve.

Mark my words.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 09:59:50 AM »
We'll end up paying for this bullshit in the end.  The Feds won't let them fail as they absolutely deserve.

Mark my words.

Marked.  July 1st, 2017.  1400Z. 

And I agree with you that Chicago is "too big to fail."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
Marked.  July 1st, 2017.  1400Z. 

And I agree with you that Chicago is "too big to fail."
I would say it has already failed.  The question is will they have to live with the consequences. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
I would say it has already failed.  The question is will they have to live with the consequences. 

You aree right; Chicago has failed.  To clarify, "too big to fail" means Chicago will get a bailout, but nothing will actually change.  So, no, there will be no consequences.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »

Here is my plan for the Chicago/Illinois "bailout":
All current elected officials are removed from office and replaced with interim appointees, appointments to be made by the Trump administration
All current political appointees to be removed and replaced as above.
All financial records and goings on to be reviewed for malfeasance by non-partisan inspector appointed by the Trump administration.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 12:44:16 AM »
All current elected officials are removed from office and replaced with interim appointees, appointments to be made by the Trump administration
All financial records and goings on to be reviewed for malfeasance by non-partisan inspector appointed by the Trump administration.

50% of all state and local employees are handed pink slips, and their Pensions (or portions thereof) are converted to IRA's.  Current pension hold are given lump sums (current pension fund balances divided evenly) and converted IRA's. 

Mike Madigan and John Cullerton along with the other leaders of the House and Senate are put up against the wall.

I'm currently visiting family in Southern Illinois.  Things down here have not gone all Mad Max yet, (not that they ever really would no matter what happened in the rest of the state, nation or world.)

However, I am returning to the Northeast corner on 4 July, so hope springs eternal that I can put on football pads with spikes on them and mount a flame thrower on the roof of my Subaru.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 09:14:12 AM »

Its sad, really. I have the home I dreamed and worked for for years. Nice house on 40 acres of mixed hardwood and prairie 1/2 mile from a state recreation area with lake. Deer, turkey, pheasant and quail, huge variety of songbirds visit the yard daily. But its in Illinois. 6 miles from a community that has become a medicare/medicaid town with a struggling economy. Our property taxes have gone up 50% in the last 4 years and all our taxes are getting ready to rocket.
I'm prepared to hunker down in place. at least for as long as I can. I can't bring myself to sell it for what I could get, maybe half of what it should be worth. Hoping I can hang on until they move me to the nursing home or the funeral home.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrisburg,_Pennsylvania#21st_century_fiscal_difficulties_and_receivership

Na. Look at Harrisburg.

Basically, the state 'tookover' the city finances for the bare minimum time to cover the 'crisis', restructured the debt to kick the crisis down the road a bit, and left everything virtually as-is. There's some talk about criminal indictments, but even the SEC barely slapped from wrists for outright fraud.

The original plan was to overspend like no tomorrow and bet that a bankruptcy filing would cost nothing, eliminate near all of the debt and allow them to keep everything. It didn't help that the mayors involved were literally insane. Mayor Stephen Reed went insane over his 30 years in office. He blew millions on a wild west museum, not joking, and an infamous trash incinerator that was a spending boondoggle on par (scale wise) with the the Iraq War. Hundreds of millions were spent with literally nothing in return. Then they elected Mayor Thompson. Reed slowly went insane or senile. Thompson was insane from day one, and everyone knew it.

The guy appointed by the state leased off the parking garages for 40 years and issued new debt. Lancaster County is taking their trash, for $6.65 million per year for 20 years. Which we'll make a tidy profit. They'll try to sell their incinerator. Harrisburg will have less revenue to repay more debt. I doubt they'll recover anytime soon.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrisburg,_Pennsylvania#21st_century_fiscal_difficulties_and_receivership

Na. Look at Harrisburg.

Basically, the state 'tookover' the city finances for the bare minimum time to cover the 'crisis', restructured the debt to kick the crisis down the road a bit, and left everything virtually as-is. There's some talk about criminal indictments, but even the SEC barely slapped from wrists for outright fraud.

The original plan was to overspend like no tomorrow and bet that a bankruptcy filing would cost nothing, eliminate near all of the debt and allow them to keep everything. It didn't help that the mayors involved were literally insane. Mayor Stephen Reed went insane over his 30 years in office. He blew millions on a wild west museum, not joking, and an infamous trash incinerator that was a spending boondoggle on par (scale wise) with the the Iraq War. Hundreds of millions were spent with literally nothing in return. Then they elected Mayor Thompson. Reed slowly went insane or senile. Thompson was insane from day one, and everyone knew it.

The guy appointed by the state leased off the parking garages for 40 years and issued new debt. Lancaster County is taking their trash, for $6.65 million per year for 20 years. Which we'll make a tidy profit. They'll try to sell their incinerator. Harrisburg will have less revenue to repay more debt. I doubt they'll recover anytime soon.

A wild west museum in PA, yea that is not one that I would think of.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 06:25:15 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/01/26/ex-harrisburg-mayors-almost-pathological-preoccupation-with-wild-west-artifacts-may-land-him-in-prison/?utm_term=.01f010339e9a

They never opened the museum, and I believe auctioned off the crap he bought.

Oh, let's see

Reed, 67, admitted to the charges because he is suffering from prostate cancer and felt it was the right thing to do, according to his attorney, Henry Hockeimer Jr.

“We think this is an opportunity now to move on with his life and get the treatment he needs for his illness,” Hockeimer told the AP.

Move on?  Oh, dude.

Some sympathy I have.  And some not.

Interesting wheelgun.  Euro pinfire?

“I’ve repeatedly stated over the years the long-standing plan, as part of the city’s overall economic development program, is to create national, first-class facilities to attract and retain business, jobs, residents and visitors,” he told the AP in 2003.

Typical civic booster bulldropping.

lee n. field

• friend