Author Topic: Just got this in my Social Security News Letter  (Read 1300 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Just got this in my Social Security News Letter
« on: October 19, 2022, 05:36:38 PM »
Oy ve!

Kilolo Kijakazi, Acting Commissioner of Social Security, announced that the agency now offers people the choice to self-select their sex on their Social Security number (SSN) record. The agency has implemented this policy change and the new option is now available.

For more information, please visit www.ssa.gov/news/news/press/releases/2022/#10-2022-3
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Just got this in my Social Security News Letter
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 06:57:47 AM »
Holy hell, did they sub out social security to the Poles?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
The Federal form we all know and love - #4473 - gives choices too: male, female or non-binary. Whatever the hell that last means.

In a related story, I just saw that transvestites still have to register for the draft - so no pass for any would-be Cpl. Klingers.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 09:17:12 AM »
The Federal form we all know and love - #4473 - gives choices too: male, female or non-binary. Whatever the hell that last means.

Means you're not a biologist
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 09:22:34 AM »

In a related story, I just saw that transvestites still have to register for the draft - so no pass for any would-be Cpl. Klingers.

At this point why is sex on any of these types of forms at all? They might as well just completely remove the category as it serves zero purpose. Even when it was still just M or F, I didn't see the purpose on 90% of forms where it's an option.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 09:26:38 AM »
At this point why is sex on any of these types of forms at all? They might as well just completely remove the category as it serves zero purpose. Even when it was still just M or F, I didn't see the purpose on 90% of forms where it's an option.

Or race
Which box would Beto check?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »
Or race

White Hispanic.

Huh, maybe that's why he's so scared of guns.  He thinks he'll get railroaded if he uses one.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 10:44:02 AM »
Make no mistake, the people who mere moments ago used to say: "Yeah, sex is a genetically fixed constant but gender is a social construct and thus can be fluid!" were either lying to you to get here, or were carrying water for the people who were orchestrating that lie.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 08:37:29 PM »
Or race

Don't even go there. A few years ago I got into it with a couple of different federal agencies over that entry on their forms, and some of the idiotic definitions that accompany the forms. I don't recall the specifics, but it was incredibly frustrating ... and (of course) I lost, because (after all) they're the gummint.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 08:52:51 PM »
White Hispanic.

Huh, maybe that's why he's so scared of guns.  He thinks he'll get railroaded if he uses one.
He keeps getting fan mail from Trayvon Abbott.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 08:49:50 AM »
It seems to be getting a little universal now.  I had to log off a prominent gun board and when it came time to log back in, I found this set of checkboxes:

Female
 (unspecified)
Date of Birth:
Required

Day

Year

This kind of brushes up against the binary-fluidity issue.  I'll let you find out what board that is.

As someone pointed out above, why offer a question about the category at all?

This is another area (like abortion) where I refuse to debate the issue since both sides seem to be irrevocably convinced of their own rectitude and no resolution is possible.

It does complicate data-mining since there would be  twice the population to search with the gender category eliminated.

That's all I've got to say on this, but I thought you (plural) might be interested in my little discovery.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 09:03:16 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
The clinic I go to for neurology just switched their records system to Epic.  The MyChart system gives options for “Legal Sex”, “Sex Assigned at Birth”, “Gender Identity”, “Sexual Orientation”, “Race”, “Ethnicity”, and “Ethnic Background”.

I removed the entries automatically entered and left everything blank or said “Decline to answer”.  There is a valid medical reason to know your sex and ethnicity because those are medically relevant pieces of information.  But I just refuse to play the game.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 09:11:23 AM »
Check which one you have
Penis
Vagina
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 09:13:55 AM »
The clinic I go to for neurology just switched their records system to Epic.  The MyChart system gives options for “Legal Sex”, “Sex Assigned at Birth”, “Gender Identity”, “Sexual Orientation”, “Race”, “Ethnicity”, and “Ethnic Background”.

I removed the entries automatically entered and left everything blank or said “Decline to answer”.  There is a valid medical reason to know your sex and ethnicity because those are medically relevant pieces of information.  But I just refuse to play the game.

If any of my medical providers start asking me that *expletive deleted*it on their forms, I'm leaving even the medically relevant information blank. I barely put up with M/F/Other, but when a MEDICAL provider starts asking me the other crap about "gender identity" and what have you, I question their ability to provide me competent medical care.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 09:19:09 AM »
I've never paid any attention to that stuff in MyChart. I'm not sure if I ever looked at it. I've been with my practice since the mid-1990s. They were still carting around paper files at that time. It wasn't until sometime in the early 2000s that they started doing case records on laptops that they carted around, and it wasn't until maybe 10 years ago that that information was integrated into a patient-accessible portal.

I have to say, though, that the last paper record I had to fill out at my doctor's office was still fairly recently.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 09:23:33 AM »

I have to say, though, that the last paper record I had to fill out at my doctor's office was still fairly recently.

My current system gives me the choice of arriving early at whatever office and filling out the paper forms, or going to the secure website and doing it electronically, and then arriving on time (and still waiting 30 minutes to see the doctor).

These are the forms that ask you about your medical history, prescriptions, allergies etc. I have yet to see the "gender at birth" crap on any of those forms.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
"I barely put up with M/F/Other, but when a MEDICAL provider starts asking me the other crap about "gender identity" and what have you, I question their ability to provide me competent medical care."

Yeah, and I disagree with that.

It may not be relevant to you, but it is very relevant to other people, and many of those people struggle with mental health because of gender dysphoria.

We may snigger at the concept, but there's no denying the fact that people who sincerely consider themselves to be incorrectly gendered have a markedly increased rate of emotional and mental health issues, suicidal ideation, and successful suicide attempts.

And all of those are legitimate issues of medical concern and it points to the doctor being proactive.

Your perceived outrage at being asked those questions is misplaced, as equally misplaced as if you were to complain about them asking about potential cancer activities. "I don't have any cancer risks! I don't smoke! My family has NO history of cancer! I really question my doctor's medical competence for asking such intrusive, baseless questions!"

How are they supposed to know if they don't ask?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 09:34:56 AM »
Check which one you have
Penis
Vagina

Updated version

Check which one you have
Penis
Vagina
I'm not a biologist
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 09:51:47 AM »
Updated version

Check which one you have
Penis
Vagina
I'm not a biologist

OK, that's funny as hell.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »
Before people get too wound up about healthcare facilities now asking about SOGI (sexual orientation and gender identity) information, ask yourself if various State and Federal agencies and healthcare payors now have a requirement to ask about this.  You may be surprised at what you find out.  And if you think asking about it is a proxy for competent medical care, you would probably be much happier at a homeopathic practice.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »
Before people get too wound up about healthcare facilities now asking about SOGI (sexual orientation and gender identity) information, ask yourself if various State and Federal agencies and healthcare payors now have a requirement to ask about this.  You may be surprised at what you find out.  And if you think asking about it is a proxy for competent medical care, you would probably be much happier at a homeopathic practice.

You're just controlled by big doctor/big pharma, Millcreek!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2022, 10:22:56 AM »
Updated version

Check which one you have
Penis
Vagina
I'm not a biologist

Without offering an actual opinion on the subject, I agree with K Frame in Reply # 18.   ( ! )
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2022, 10:51:50 AM »
Were you born with:
  • A Penis.
  • A Vagina.
  • Both (it happens).
  • A Cloaca.

Side Note: Important 1st date question for the males: "Do you now or have you ever had a penis?"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
Without offering an actual opinion on the subject, I agree with K Frame in Reply # 18.   ( ! )

Well that's disturbing as all hell... :rofl:

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2022, 11:01:15 AM »
I just checked. I do have a penis. It does look like the picture in my medical dictionary - except for the size....  :'(

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood