Author Topic: Amazon Vine?  (Read 745 times)

HankB

• friend
Amazon Vine?
« on: October 21, 2022, 12:15:21 PM »
I just got an email inviting me to join "Amazon Vine" which promises free products if I agree to use & review them.

I'm always suspicious of "free" offers that arrive by email (incoming email is from "store-news@amazon.com) so I'm just wondering if anyone else is familiar with Amazon Vine and the upsides and downsides of joining & participating?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
Re: Amazon Vine?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 12:24:09 PM »
I've seen that tag on reviews, and it's apparently a real program:  https://www.amazon.com/vine/about

Do you write a lot of reviews on Amazon?  I would probably try to find the invite in my account rather than replying to the email.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 11:37:03 PM »
My wife has been doing this for a while now.  Upside, free stuff.  Downside 1099 for taxes.  Not sure how that’s gonna play out against us yet.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 11:51:36 PM »
Yeah, I found out since 2015 they've been sending out 1099s for taxes - so depending on your tax bracket, you might be on the hook for 20% or more of the MSRP.

That might not be a bad deal - getting something you wanted for a fraction of the normal price. But a little more research showed that in some cases (primarily some types of clothing) the MSRP was set SO high that the taxes owed exceeded the normal actual selling price, almost as if the seller was running a tax write-off scam.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
"That might not be a bad deal - getting something you wanted for a fraction of the normal price. But a little more research showed that in some cases (primarily some types of clothing) the MSRP was set SO high that the taxes owed exceeded the normal actual selling price, almost as if the seller was running a tax write-off scam. "

Well that's kind of nasty.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 07:58:24 AM »
"That might not be a bad deal - getting something you wanted for a fraction of the normal price. But a little more research showed that in some cases (primarily some types of clothing) the MSRP was set SO high that the taxes owed exceeded the normal actual selling price, almost as if the seller was running a tax write-off scam. "

Well that's kind of nasty.
No kidding.

I remember a long time ago, American Airlines was running a sweepstakes with the top prize being a bundle of 1st class airline tickets. The winner was overjoyed to get the prize, but then was shocked when informed he'd be taxed on the value. Then he found out that AA was going to declare full retail price as the value - at a time when airline tickets were being heavily discounted. The winner realized that the tax he'd pay would be higher than the discounted fares that were available, so - he refused the prize. Publicly.

AA was embarrassed, and they worked "something" out - I think it was a reduced declaration of value on the tax forms.

My wife has been doing this for a while now.  Upside, free stuff.  Downside 1099 for taxes.  Not sure how that’s gonna play out against us yet.
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of "free stuff" was being offered? And do they indicate what the value will be before your wife orders it?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 08:16:11 AM »
My nephew is working his way up through the pilot's ranks at Envoy Air, which is American's hub subsidiary.

He says that they are still doing tons of stupid crap like that. He has a new "holy crap" story just about every time I talk with him. :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 08:37:59 AM »
Remember reading somewhere that most game show prizes are returned because the winner often can't pay the taxes.

First became aware of this issue, when I was young, when McDs made a big fuss over giving away a house but the guy who won had to sell the house because the IRS came a-knocking. Guy was local and it made the news here. IIRC what the house sold for barely paid the taxes. If given a choice between prizes and money always take the money.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
Remember reading somewhere that most game show prizes are returned because the winner often can't pay the taxes.

First became aware of this issue, when I was young, when McDs made a big fuss over giving away a house but the guy who won had to sell the house because the IRS came a-knocking. Guy was local and it made the news here. IIRC what the house sold for barely paid the taxes. If given a choice between prizes and money always take the money.
I kind of remember someone winning a house years ago, finding out about the taxes, and just offering to sign it over to the IRS. They initially told him the value of the house wouldn't cover the taxes he owed on it.  :O  Never heard how things worked out.

I do know a guy who won a couple of guns in a sweepstakes, and of course he got a 1099. He ended up selling one of them for enough to cover the additional tax AND the FFL transfer fee, plus a box or two of ammo for the one he kept, so it actually worked out OK for him.

I really wonder about the cost of winning one of those NRA contests where they give away stuff like 25 guns and a safe.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 11:04:28 AM »
I kind of remember someone winning a house years ago, finding out about the taxes, and just offering to sign it over to the IRS. They initially told him the value of the house wouldn't cover the taxes he owed on it.  :O  Never heard how things worked out.

I do know a guy who won a couple of guns in a sweepstakes, and of course he got a 1099. He ended up selling one of them for enough to cover the additional tax AND the FFL transfer fee, plus a box or two of ammo for the one he kept, so it actually worked out OK for him.

I really wonder about the cost of winning one of those NRA contests where they give away stuff like 25 guns and a safe.

How about Classic Firearms which often has $10,000 + rifle setups as a prize. They run something like 2 or 3 of those sweepstakes a month.
Me: Hey! I just won a $12,000 Barret setup!
IRS: Knock Knock
Me: Oh *expletive deleted*it
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 11:18:31 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 11:40:18 AM »
"If given a choice between prizes and money always take the money."

BINGO!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 11:45:47 AM »
How about Classic Firearms which often has $10,000 + rifle setups as a prize. They run something like 2 or 3 of those sweepstakes a month.
Me: Hey! I just won a $12,000 Barret setup!
IRS: Knock Knock
Me: Oh *expletive deleted*it
Accountant: Well, this prize rifle cost us $3000 to make. We'll put a $12,000 price tag on it, issue a 1099 in that amount, and take a write-off. Profit!
''

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 01:03:34 PM »
"...but the guy who won had to sell the house because the IRS came a-knocking."

I thought that was a "given," tax wise (and property fees, etc) but I didn't realize they could set it up so the "value" was so inflated.

TANSTAAFL

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/tanstaafl.asp
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.