Author Topic: Unanticipated consequence of new steel roof  (Read 605 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Unanticipated consequence of new steel roof
« on: October 23, 2022, 02:32:05 PM »
Finally got the new steel roof on. Radio reception sucks now.
I’m butchering deer and getting ready to make sausage in my garage and I can’t get any hood stations on the shop radio. Got one light classic 80s-90s rock but too much dance music for me.
Switched over to some podcasts but gonna run out before I’m done.
I have a case of cassette tapes (yes, really) and I might dig out a player next.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Unanticipated consequence of new steel roof
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »
Wait until it hails.  For while CU had steel quonset huts for married housing.  Wow.

I've still got a bunch of (mostly classical) cassettes and two quality players, but the belts have probably taken a set by now and will make them sound crappy.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 04:18:09 PM »
So you have a built in foil hat.  What are you complaining about?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 04:21:05 PM »
It's shielding against the black (or dark green?) helicopters that have been keeping an eye on you.

For fun, set up a couple of heat lamps shining upwards to keep the roof warm - the narcs will think you've got a grow operation going and pay you a visit someday.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 04:28:29 PM »
Sounds like a good argument to get a quality FM antenna, and a shop stereo receiver to take advantage of it.

Or use internet access of some sort to get a music channel of your choice.  Spotify, IHeartRadio, something like that, and pass it to a bluetooth speaker.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 04:32:44 PM »
Sounds like a good argument to get a quality FM antenna, and a shop stereo receiver to take advantage of it.

Or use internet access of some sort to get a music channel of your choice.  Spotify, IHeartRadio, something like that, and pass it to a bluetooth speaker.
Don’t have home internet until my name comes up on Elon musks starlink waiting list.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 08:13:26 PM »
Can't you just run an antenna wire up to your fancy new roof and let it collect the signals for you?

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 08:56:36 PM »
Sounds odd that a roof would cut off the signal altogether

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 09:30:31 PM »
Don’t have home internet until my name comes up on Elon musks starlink waiting list.

Have you checked recently?  I found out unexpectedly early that my area was fully available.  Placed the order and had it installed within 4 days.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 12:03:20 AM »
Kingcreek - part of this property I bought back in '04 has a 30' x 50' pole barn and I have the same problem.  As it is an outbuilding, I don't spend that much time in it so not having a radio has not been much of a hindrance.
Good luck in finding an external antenna.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 12:37:23 AM »
Have you checked recently?  I found out unexpectedly early that my area was fully available.  Placed the order and had it installed within 4 days.
I put down my deposit to get it when available.
I get signal but only a couple stations without static. Wouldn’t mind an external antenna.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 01:56:34 AM »
BobR touched on this.

Radio operators in dead radio valleys would put an antenna on the high ridge cabled down in the valley to another antenna like the high one and it would re-radiate the signal down in the valley.

No external power was needed.