Author Topic: libertarians only have 'old white guys'  (Read 10585 times)

zahc

• friend
libertarians only have 'old white guys'
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:43:31 AM »
From slashdot.com

It constantly surprises me how a third party can't put up a palatable candidate. If the libertarians could drag up their version of Obama, they may actually have a seat at the table. Instead they keep coming up with old white guys.

While he has a point about old white guy vs. young black guy electability, I'm not sure to the extent the libertarians could create 'their version of Obama'. For one thing, they couldn't offer free stuff, on the other, they could certainly preach a message of change especially to the youth. I wonder to what extent the reception of the 'freedom' message changes when it comes from an old white guy, versus someone more 'hip'.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lanternlad

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: libertarians only have 'old white guys'
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
Oddly enough, people who talk about "old white guys" and "dead white guys" always seem to forget Karl Marx was an old white guy who died a long time ago.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
I keep forgetting that history is about being hip and cool.

I must be getting senile, but them I'm a white guy and not that young any more...

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
Oddly enough, people who talk about "old white guys" and "dead white guys" always seem to forget Karl Marx was an old white guy who died a long time ago.

And he was actually incredibly racist, too.

Also, libertarians had Loretta Nall.  And now we have W. Lawson.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
What about the Wookies?

The LP has the intergalatic (and the vote of single white males with acne that live in their mom's basement) vote sewn up!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

nobody's_hero

• Fringe (Constitutionalist)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
Is this guy sufficiently 'hip' for you?

http://www.lawsonforcongress.com/

Or maybe this lady:

http://www.barbdaviswhiteforcongress.com/index.shtml

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Marvin Dao

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »
I suspect that a big reason the Libertarian party doesn't have many rising charismatic political stars is because few who are in that position are dumb enough to join the dead end Libertarian party. It's far better for their career and goals to realign themselves with the major party that they find the least distasteful, run as a party moderate, and work from there. Better to be known as a RINO/DINO then to never get to the stage in the first place.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
The real libertarians are too busy doing productive things to keep repeating what libertarianism is all about.  The best way to sell liberty is to manifest its power.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:28:22 PM »
The best way to sell liberty is to manifest its power.

By dressing up like a 10 year old in a wookie suit and throwing Mountain Dew and Cheetoe bags in your front yard.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
By dressing up like a 10 year old in a wookie suit and throwing Mountain Dew and Cheetoe bags in your front yard.

No, I was thinking carving letters into my face. THen I realized I was smarter than that.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »
No, I was thinking carving letters into my face. THen I realized I was smarter than that.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »

Tattoo =/= carving letters into your face with your fingernails.

I hope you understand that.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »
I think you missed the point.  He was pointing out that the pictured individual is a loser, so thus everyone who supports the same person as said individual must also be losers.  All the cool, relevant people have hitched their wagons to McCain, because he's electable and thus would make a better candidate than Paul who constantly spouts madness about smaller government.  What a kook, amirite?  Only idiots dream of smaller government.  Idiots and insane people.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »
You're right, Sir, I'll get with the program immediately.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
How many past Libertarian leaders are failed politicians who left one of the other parties? 

I agree with the comment above that young charismatic leaders are going to gravitate to the major parties. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MikePGS

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »
The Libertarian Party is basically fractured at this point, so its unclear as to whether or not it will even have the tiny bit of relevance it has in the future. Which is a shame. I consider myself a Libertarian, but I have no expectations whatsoever as far as the party goes. So i either vote Libertarian, and throw my vote away, or just vote on the proposals (as I'm doing this year). I agree with the poster who said that most Libertarians are too busy living their lives to run for office. Thats just how it is. The idea that Bob Barr is anything but a failure desperately clinging to any shred of relevance is ludicrious. This guy is running for president as a libertarian? The same guy that was a member of Newt Gingrich's task force for a drug-free america? The same guy who spearheaded the efforts to piss away the taxpayers money during the Monica Lewinsky scandal? Who voted to make same-sex marriage illegal? Who voted for the Patriot Act? Get real.
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 10:08:44 AM »
What about the Wookies?

The LP has the intergalatic (and the vote of single white males with acne that live in their mom's basement) vote sewn up!

Yawn...  :rolleyes:  It just never stops with you, does it?

Did someone in a Wookiee costume kick your dog when you were a kid, or something?  Or maybe it was just a mean ol' libertarian who did it.  Whatever. 

I think you missed the point.  He was pointing out that the pictured individual is a loser, so thus everyone who supports the same person as said individual must also be losers.  All the cool, relevant people have hitched their wagons to McCain, because he's electable and thus would make a better candidate than Paul who constantly spouts madness about smaller government.  What a kook, amirite?  Only idiots dream of smaller government.  Idiots and insane people.

MrRezister FTW. 

Funny - the guy's face wasn't orange with Cheeto crumbs or covered in acne (or both), and he wasn't NEARLY shaggy enough to be in a Wookiee suit.  That tattoo must have been Photoshopped, he CAN'T actually be a Ron Paul supporter! :rolleyes:

The Libertarian Party is basically fractured at this point, so its unclear as to whether or not it will even have the tiny bit of relevance it has in the future. Which is a shame. I consider myself a Libertarian, but I have no expectations whatsoever as far as the party goes. So i either vote Libertarian, and throw my vote away, or just vote on the proposals (as I'm doing this year). I agree with the poster who said that most Libertarians are too busy living their lives to run for office. Thats just how it is. The idea that Bob Barr is anything but a failure desperately clinging to any shred of relevance is ludicrious. This guy is running for president as a libertarian? The same guy that was a member of Newt Gingrich's task force for a drug-free america? The same guy who spearheaded the efforts to piss away the taxpayers money during the Monica Lewinsky scandal? Who voted to make same-sex marriage illegal? Who voted for the Patriot Act? Get real.

It's truly sad that Barr is the best the LP can (or at least WILL) put up this year.  He's claimed to have "seen the error of his ways", as it were  ;/, though I'm sure that's just as sincere as any OTHER politician's promises.  Rumors of backroom wheelin'-an'-dealin' at the nomination convention probably don't help among those LP members already disenchanted with a party which appears to be drifting (or in some cases, RUNNING) away from it's principles, either - which means that Tuesday's forthcoming unimpressive showing will result in yet another battle for ballot access and denial of public fora for discourse, which the Big Two get handed to them on a silver platter for every election.  Not a candidate who's going to bring new voters to the LP, that's for sure.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »
What is it with these accusations of Barr?

What kind of reasons does he have to lie? Does anybody think he can actually gain something from running for President as a Libertarian?

MikePGS

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »
What kind of reasons does he have to lie?
His track record is completely inconsistent with the libertarian platform (unless they decided to change it again). He wanted to disallow members of the armed forces from choosing their own religion, voted to make marriage defined as being between a man and a woman, and was a member of Newt Gingrich's drug-free task force. Now its very well possible that he has changed entirely (within the last five years) but i find that a little convenient.
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »
His track record is completely inconsistent with the libertarian platform (unless they decided to change it again). He wanted to disallow members of the armed forces from choosing their own religion, voted to make marriage defined as being between a man and a woman, and was a member of Newt Gingrich's drug-free task force. Now its very well possible that he has changed entirely (within the last five years) but i find that a little convenient.

Wanting to redefine marriage is a liberal goal, not libertarian.

MikePGS

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 02:12:29 PM »
Wanting to determine who may or may not enter into the contract of marriage certainly isn't a libertarian goal.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
Wanting to determine who may or may not enter into the contract of marriage certainly isn't a libertarian goal.

This is where I think a number of so-called libertarians are actually anarchists, and just don't understand what the difference is.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »
This is where I think a number of so-called libertarians are actually anarchists, and just don't understand what the difference is.

Capital-Anarchism is a legitimate part of the greater libertarianism. Rothbard was an anarchist.