Author Topic: Palin this week  (Read 10471 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Palin this week
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 12:17:43 AM »
I guess you are.  I think you would make a pretty decent neighbor.  Then again, when I think of neighbors, I'm assuming a few hundred yards of distance between houses.   :lol:  I wouldn't want to live in the next apartment from you, but then I wouldn't want to live that close to anybody. 

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it's usually my neighbors and room-mates that don't like me, not the other way around. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:03:15 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 02:38:32 AM »
Consider a parable: Suppose there was a man who was an American, and yet shared my views on society, culture, and so forth. Suppose this man was somehow simultaneously a prominent politician. I am sure you would not want him as your neighbor, even though you might vote for him on occasion. Am I wrong?
So... you don't like paparazzi on your lawn?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 12:27:33 PM »
Paparazzi on your lawn is one of the best reasons to have a sprinkler system >:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
That's where I think she's more talk than walk.  She came on strong in the first week, but since then she's been far too nice.  

That you don't want her as your neighbor is, well, weird.  Why not?  
Honestly, I don't think it would get her anywhere by being mean.  She would do best by taking the high road.  

I was talking with some people around work and one of the comments was that she is probably the most "normal" person on the national scene.  They were referring to her personal problems with her kids and such.  She doesn't come off as a rich person who has spent her entire life planning to go into politics and stroking her own image.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:46:07 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »
I think it is easier for her to be smooth & coherent when she does not have to flack John McCain's views and suppress hers.

She & her hubby had done relative well (low 6-figures wealth-wise) before she got into politics.  But, the constant use of lawfare against her by the left was bankrupting her and keeping her from doing Alaska's business.

When folks who are not at least 7-figures wealthy are targetted by theh media and lawfare left, they will be destroyed. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
At some point soon, she needs to focus on ideas and solutions and totally ignore the left, the media and the democrats.  If she'd treat them with the dignity that they deserve, and by that I mean ignore them.  Don't even dignify them by acknowledging their existance.  Americans love an underdog.  And if the underdong has ideas and solutions, so much the better.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
And if the underdong has ideas and solutions, so much the better.

Freudian slip?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »
 =D =D =D =D

Err, does that make her, um, cough, ahem.....ballsy :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:18:13 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 05:12:39 PM »
Honestly, I don't think it would get her anywhere by being mean.  She would do best by taking the high road.  

I don't want her to be mean, it just seems that she tries to smile and nod, and doesn't really seem to defend herself or her ideas that well.  I don't think that kind of leadership is going to get us very far.  If America comes back from the brink, I think it will take a leader who recognizes that the left is not merely the loyal opposition, not a bunch of well-meaning, misguided people.  Instead, they have become an enemy to be opposed.

That doesn't mean we should use violence, but it does mean that we need to recognize "the clash of resounding arms," and (politically) destroy those intent on destroying our nation. 

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 07:02:32 PM »
If America comes back from the brink, I think it will take a leader who recognizes that the left is not merely the loyal opposition, not a bunch of well-meaning, misguided people.  Instead, they have become an enemy to be opposed.
And yet, and yet I have not heard of a single solitary instance of a proposal to begin the process of rollback of offensive legislation.  When do we start the process of busting up the machinery of tyranny which has been constructed in plain sight.  I don't know what to make of the silence but it really disturbs me.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 07:13:45 PM »
As you know, any roll-back of Leviathan is a summons to greed, callousness and chaos.  Why do you want the old people to eat puppies?  Tiny little puppies?  This explains why you don't care if machine guns run loose on our streets, you bad man. 

The silence doesn't surprise me.  The volume of tea-party protest doesn't surprise me, either.  Nor is it surprising that such "harsh rhetoric" is poo-pooed as hatred and ignorance.   =(  I think some people know what needs to be done, but such people are too scary to be elected, and are often mocked/hated right off the stage. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
Fisty nailed it. Too many people are either parasites and looters themselves, or ignorant enough to trust the MSM. I hope that might be changing... but we see where hope and change has taken us so far...  =|
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »
Rolling back Leviathan is a form of radical change. Radical change is bad. It is better to engage in centuries of gradualist work.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
 ;/

False dichotomy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »

I don't want her to be mean, it just seems that she tries to smile and nod, and doesn't really seem to defend herself or her ideas that well.

I think that during her run for VP, she was totally naive to how low and evil the media would stoop to destroy her.  Thus making her look like a ditzy moron.  

I think she's learning, and adapting.  (Ask Letterman, I'm pretty sure she has his dangly bits mounted on her living room wall)

Good on her.  

Rolling back Leviathan is a form of radical change. Radical change is bad. It is better to engage in centuries of gradualist work.

Ala the Fabian Society?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 09:19:05 PM »
I think some people know what needs to be done, but such people are too scary to be elected, and are often mocked/hated right off the stage.  

Oh, you mean like that little old guy from down in Texas...?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 09:38:58 PM »
But in the present political climate, Palin combines the following qualities:

1. She is at least genuinely right-wing...
2. She's charismatic, handsome, and at least theoretically electable.
3. She's well-capable of engaging, and fighting back, against the media.

You make her sound like the Barack Obama of the right...

He's genuinely (and completely) left wing
He's charismatic, handsome, and (obviously) electable.
He's currently engaging, and fighting back, against the media (Fox News)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
And that is a bad thing?

What we need is a Barack Obama on the right.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:03 PM »
And that is a bad thing?

What we need is a Barack Obama on the right.

I wouldn't mind a little more gravitas.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »
Who made gravitas a requirement for anything?  When was the last time we had a President with this mystical gravitas stuff?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:14 PM »
Bush 41?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2009, 11:49:12 PM »
Oh, you mean like that little old guy from down in Texas...?   ;)

Perot or Paul?

Paul is one of those people.  That doesn't mean he's the leader we need. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
Paul running was an educational moment. He'd have done excellently if he'd run, much less if by some miracle he'd won. Even in losing he'd generated a great amount of political and organizational capital for libertarianism. His running taught those willing to learn a whole lot about the political system.

But he's not going to run in 2012, and certainly not make another meaningful impact.

Until such a time where another candidate like him springs up, I think to compromise and go for a person like Palin is not a bad idea.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
Until such a time where another candidate like him springs up, I think to compromise and go for a person like Palin is not a bad idea.

Seriously, why would you want another Ron Paul?  I get that you think he's helped the cause, but don't you want someone who can win? 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
This thread is about Palin. Let's not hijack it with MOAR RON PAUL.

I for one have sent you a PM.