Author Topic: weak penalties = dead cop  (Read 1871 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
weak penalties = dead cop
« on: June 07, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »
we lost a cop friday nite to a moron who used a gun to abduct someone and got a 12 month sentence served 6
http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2008/062008/0607shooting/index_html?page=1

City police officer slain by gunshot page 2

Fredericksburg, Va. police officers discuss the progress at a crime scene investigation where a city police officer died on Friday evening, June 6, 2008.
ROBERT A. MARTIN / THE FREE LANCE-STAR

Officer Todd Bahr

Gregory Berryman

City officer, suspect slain in deadly shoot-out near the police station.

Date published: 6/7/2008

continued
Police then checked the area and Bahrs body was discovered at 11:22 p.m. Police suspect that Berryman shot him, but that has not yet been officially determined.

Bahr is a 1986 graduate of Stafford High School. He also attended Hartwood Elementary School and Gayle Middle School in Stafford.

Before joining the city force in August, 2006, Bledsoe said, he owned a gun shop in Stafford and worked as an auxiliary officer.

He is absolutely one of the nicest, nicest guys around, Bledsoe said.

Berryman, whose last known address was in Stafford, was no stranger to city police. He was arrested in September when he entered a home in the 1500 block of Airport Avenue looking for the same former girlfriend.

According to police reports, Berryman was carrying a rifle wrapped in a blanket. He confronted a woman who lived there and ordered her to lead him to the former girlfriend.

At that time, police said the woman had broken up with Berryman several weeks later. She no longer lived at the residence, and the resident told Berryman she didnt know where shed moved to.

Berryman was charged with armed breaking and entering, abduction and carrying a concealed weapon.

He was convicted in Fredericksburg General District Court on Oct. 18 of brandishing a firearm and carrying a concealed weapon, both misdemeanors, and got two 12-month jail terms, one of which was suspended.

It was not clear this morning when Berryman got out of jail, but defendants generally only have to serve half of active misdemeanor sentences, meaning Berryman could have been freed after six months from his arrest date.

so now kids mourn dad and we have a fresh widow
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: weak penalties = dead cop
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:20:01 PM »
What a mess.

The whole deal about letting crooks out early is a travesty. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:22:29 PM »
this was a decent guy killed  ran the gun shop here before he was a cop. leaves a wife and kids. the plea bargain here was absurd
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 06:57:26 PM »
They had him on armed robbery and aggravated kidnapping and pled to two misdemeanors?

That's not a "weak penalties" issue, that's a failure to charge properly.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »
While sad, I'm not sure I get the causal relationship here.  Odds are he would have done the same thing even if he served his full term.

Not saying he shouldn't have had to serve full term...

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
if he'd served full term for the original charges he's have been in his late 70's when he got out

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »
Ahh...I was thinking of the misdemeanors that would have gotten him two twelve month jail terms, and ended up only giving him 6 months.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »
People who commit such crimes should not be given the opportunity to reoffend.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:03:16 AM »
Berryman, whose last known address was in Stafford, was no stranger to city police. He was arrested in September when he entered a home in the 1500 block of Airport Avenue looking for the same former girlfriend.

According to police reports, Berryman was carrying a rifle wrapped in a blanket. He confronted a woman who lived there and ordered her to lead him to the former girlfriend.

A practice of automatically shooting all home invaders would have saved one cop in this case.  angry
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:33 AM »
Regarding plea agreements/bargaining there's a lot more benefits to society because DA's do it than if they didn't. I've had this conversation with an uncle who was a DA in both McAllen and Liberty, TX.

The conversation was ages ago and I don't remember all the details about why DA's plea bargain and how it is beneficial so I won't try to relate it.

Perhaps El Tejon could step in and explain - he's a defense attorney I believe though I imagine he can explain the DA''s point of view just as well.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
done correctly it might be good  too often its about expediency