Author Topic: Web Based Video Surveillance  (Read 2128 times)

Waitone

• friend
Web Based Video Surveillance
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:07:42 PM »
I find myself investigating web based how I would put together a web based surveillance system.  Nothing fancy or exotic.  It would have to be 3-4 cameras set for area coverage.  It would have to record on command.  Ideally it would be cheap.  Recording would have to be done off site.  I'd prefer cameras be concealable.  

So what are my options?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 04:23:17 AM »
There are a ton of cameras out there with built-in HTML interfaces.  Just plug into a USB port on your computer and you can see it using a web browser.  You can also set this up to see it from the outside (say from work) by configuring your router/firewall the right way and browsing to your ISP's provided IP address.

Greg

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 04:36:47 PM »
X10.com might be worth a look.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 09:42:39 PM »
Those wireless x10 cameras actually work reasonably well, and are pretty easy to get set up.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 08:16:22 AM »
Keep in mind with the cheap X10 cameras and most webbased camera setups.  What you see the whole world will see.
Especially with those X10cameras.  
Wireless cameras are nice but don't put them anywhere you don't want the public to see.

One of the new angles I've read that thiefs are using. Is to drive around scanning for wireless cameras.
Often rather than offering a view for the owner. It offers a sneak peek for an intruder.

i.e. I would not put a cheap wireless camera in my gun room for all the world to see what I own.
It may just do the exact opposite of what your trying to accomplish.

I'd reccomend doing a serious security setup entirely wired.  Yeah its a big pain in the arse.. but its better than offerning an advantage to a future thief.
The only wireless cameras I'd use are out in the yard, like behind a garage etc.  

JMHO
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 01:40:38 PM »
X10 offers the wired versions as well.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 03:48:19 PM »
security grade wireless uses WEP encripted data

i like PELCO cameras
and Silent Witness antennas
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"