Author Topic: Web Cam geekdom suggestions needed  (Read 794 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Web Cam geekdom suggestions needed
« on: February 05, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
Friend of mine has come to me for suggestions on what/which web cam to get his lady friend.  She's mid-50s and besides email, IMs, and facebook pretty much uses her computer to lpay solitaire. (She word processes and spreadsheets a work.)

It's an older box running XP.  I think she wants to catch up with her female friends who are looking at each other as they IM back and forth.

Friend  :old: is confused because all the stuff at the front end of his searches says for Win7 or Win8.

My computer expertise, such as it is, extends to coming here and saying "Halllllllp!"

So, what would you suggest this guy get his lady friend?  (BTW - his electronic expertise extends to needing over half a dozen attempts to hook up a TV sound system before he figured out that his lady friend suggesting he take the plastic tubing off the connectors before inserting them might actually be worth a try.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Web Cam geekdom suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:00:49 PM »
It's an older box running XP.

<sigh>

"it's dead, Jim." 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »
<sigh>

"it's dead, Jim." 

What?  Just because there's no longer any suppport for it?  But she still gets email and can shop for shoes, so it can't be dead! [/sarcasm]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
You (sorry) They sound like a lot of my customers.  I'm going to have to be prying Server 2003 (same kind of deadline as XP, but this year) from some of their hands, in the coming months.

web cam to get his lady friend

The webcam he should be getting his lady friend is a cheap laptop with camera and a supported current version of OS of choice.

If her computer is running XP, it dates back to at least the Windows Vista era.  2009 or before.  

Tell her, it's like dog years, only worse.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:48:56 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
Message passed along to the nostalgia-clingers.

Thanks.

stay safe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:13:54 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-960-000585-HD-Webcam-C310/dp/B003LVZO8S

$30.

Concur that XP is bad news. Either new PC or move to Linux.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.