Author Topic: We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll.  (Read 1259 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll.
« on: March 09, 2007, 06:44:38 PM »
Lead Singer Of Boston Dies
Delp Was 55

POSTED: 6:20 pm EST March 9, 2007
UPDATED: 7:40 pm EST March 9, 2007Email This Story | Print This Story

BOSTON -- Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead Friday in his home in southern New Hampshire. He was 55.

Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.    

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/entertainment/11215914/detail.html

=======================================================

Crud... sad
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »
DAMN!
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:54:53 AM »
More comprehensively written article from the Union Leader. Boston Channel = Boston Globe = rag.

'
Nice guy' rocker dies at 55

By CAROL ROBIDOUX
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
13 hours, 1 minute ago

Brad Delp, best known for his distinctive lead vocals for 1970s arena-rock band Boston, was found dead inside his Atkinson home yesterday. He was 55.

"He was the most humble guy you'd want to meet. He had no rock star attitude, he had no problem mingling with the crowd. He'd talk to fans for hours," said local musician Gardner Berry, who most recently worked with Delp in November during a benefit at the Black Brimmer in Manchester.

A 911 call brought Atkinson police to Delp's home on Academy Avenue about 1:20 p.m.

Delp was apparently home alone at the time of his death. Police were still investigating the cause of death, but said there was no indication of foul play.

Last night, the Boston Web site was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

After more than 30 years in the music business, Delp remained active in the local music scene, lending his name and talents to a variety of benefit concerts around New England.

Last weekend Delp played a gig for about 300 fans at Keene High School with Beatlejuice. Delp founded the Beatles tribute band about 14 years ago, a project he described during a radio interview last year as "my hobby and my passion."

Local radio personality Parker Springfield of WKNE-FM in Keene first interviewed Delp in March 2006. The two sat down again last weekend for another interview, and to record an hour-long segment about the Beatles.

Springfield said Delp was upbeat and talked at length about his career and his own roots in Beatlemania. He also spoke about looking forward to touring this summer with Boston and marriage to longtime girlfriend Pamela Sullivan during a tour break.

"It's a shock," Springfield said last night. "Three minutes before he was supposed to go on stage last week we were still chatting - he was just that kind of regular guy, so down to earth. The kind of guy who, after a show, would sit at the end of the stage and just talk with people. He really had his ego in check."

Springfield said that although he noticed Delp appeared thinner than he did a year ago, he looked healthy.

"He was only 55, and I know he's been a vegetarian for about 30 years. It's hard to understand what could've happened," Springfield said.

Beatlejuice had a full slate of gigs over the next few months, including shows last night and tonight at Johnny D's in Somerville, Mass., where the band had developed a huge following as house regulars over the last dozen years.

"Several of the band members were floating around in here yesterday, setting up. Then they got a call and pretty much left," said Julian Hammond, a server at the bar. "Since then everyone's been calling and inquiring about what's going on."

Hammond said both weekend shows were canceled.

Delp was a native of Danvers, Mass., moving to New Hampshire in 1980 and living for a time in Londonderry before settling in Atkinson.

Last night Scott Hayward of Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, said he had met Delp last May while he was in town for a Jayme's Fund benefit concert at Pinkerton Academy.

"They were doing sound check, and I got to meet him," Hayward said. "He was very professional and a really nice guy. He was a draw. People really liked seeing him."

Delp recorded several albums with Boston before leaving the band in 1991 to front Return to Zero with Boston bandmate Barry Goudreau.

Boston reunited in 1997 and released a few remastered versions of their earlier hit albums. In 2002 they released "Corporate America," which led to a 2003 national tour launched in Manchester at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

Delp's distinctive sound as heard on hits "More Than a Feeling," and "Amanda," were once described in Rolling Stone magazine as "skyscraper vocals," a rare and distinctive gift among rock singers not lost on fellow musician Gardner Berry, of Manchester-based cover band Mama Kicks.

He said he admired Delp as much for his legendary career as for his love of music and genuine concern for others.

Berry credits Delp's contribution as key to the success of the November benefit at the Brimmer for slain Manchester police Officer Michael Briggs. Delp and Goudreau reunited on the intimate stage, performing several crowd-pleasers for the sell-out audience, and mingling generously afterward with fans.

"Brad and I shared a few stages together over the years," Berry said last night. "In fact, he was planning to come to our gig next week at Whippersnappers in Londonderry, to hear our Zeppelin tribute band, Four Sticks," Berry said.

Berry remembered when he first heard Boston back in 1976, after buying the album on a word-of-mouth recommendation from a friend.

"What an inspiration. I played it to death, played the grooves right off the vinyl," Berry said. "It's hard to believe he's gone."

Union Leader Correspondent Jon Campisi contributed to this report.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=%27Nice+guy%27+rocker+dies+at+55&articleId=4e7e6e1a-60fc-4eef-a279-eba266ef6149

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:10:35 AM »
 sad

He was a hell of a singer.

I have a lot of old memories tied to Boston's music.

I'm glad I had a chance to see them 20+ years ago.
For entertainment purposes only.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:22:59 AM »
I was very saddened to learn of this yesterday, "more then a feeling" is a great tune.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Greybeard

• Denton County Sports Assn. Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 06:30:48 AM »
The Wife's still in the rack sleepin'. She'll be saddened as well. . We bought and played the heck out of that first Boston album just before we got married way back in the days ... Still got it - and the turntable to play 'em!

Certainly not to take anything away from Brad Delp, but I met another nice lead singer in the early 80's. Sittin' next to and chatting with a long-haired type on an airplane headed for St. Louis, I asked "What do you do for a living?". He looked around a little suspiciously before whispering "Ya ever hear of REO Speedwagon?".  Much like Boston, their albums were such favorites, that I had a difficult time keeping the secret until I got home to share the encounter with The Wife.
www.dentoncountysports.com A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:57:16 AM »
I was never a big Boston fan (their music all sounded about the same to me) but, I am still sad to here of the passing of such a nice guy at such a young age.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:15:27 PM »
Latest news, it was suicide by CO poisoning.

Family says rocker Brad Delps death was suicide

By KATHARINE WEBSTER
The Associated Press
31 minutes ago

Concord  The family of Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, said today his death was a suicide.

He was a man who gave all he had to give to everyone around him, whether family, friends, fans or strangers, the family said in a statement relayed by police. He gave as long as he could, as best he could, and he was very tired. We take comfort in knowing that he is now, at last, at peace.

Delp, 55, died Friday at his Atkinson home. Police have said his fiancee, Pamela Sullivan, found him.

Toxicology tests by the state medical examiners office showed that Delp committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, said Lt. William Baldwin. Delp also left two notes taped to a door and letters to his family and Sullivan.

Baldwin said police do not know the contents of the letters because they were sealed.

The familys statement said Sullivan, Delps children and their mother, his ex-wife Micki Delp, were grateful for the sympathy they had received and asked that their privacy be respected.

Brad Delp joined Boston in the mid-1970s and sang two of its biggest hits, More than a Feeling and Long Time.

Delp had planned to marry Sullivan this summer during a break in a tour with Boston. A lifelong Beatles fan, Delp also played with a tribute band, Beatle Juice.

Beatle Juice performed a benefit last year to help build a new public library in Atkinson, a small town of about 6,000 residents on the Massachusetts border.

The family said last week it planned a private funeral followed by a public memorial to be scheduled later. Family and friends directed donations to the American Heart Association in Framingham, Mass.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 08:42:54 PM »
One often wonders why someone who seems to have it all would end it all for no apparent reason.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!