Author Topic: Self-test for likelihood of aortic aneurysm  (Read 875 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Self-test for likelihood of aortic aneurysm
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
Good here as well...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
I can make it to within 3/4" of the end of my palm. Does that mean I have to start smoking cigars again if I want to make it all the way over the edge and win?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
Or you can have your doc order an abdominal ultrasound and be sure, especially if you are over 65.

For the study, the researchers gave the test to 305 patients undergoing cardiac surgery for a variety of disorders, including aortic aneurysms. “Our study showed that the majority of aneurysm patients do not manifest a positive thumb-palm sign, but patients who do have a positive test have a high likelihood of harboring an aneurysm,” Elefteriades said.

https://news.yale.edu/2021/05/25/all-favor-test-aortic-aneurysms-raise-your-hand

bob

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »
I seem to be okay, but that first link gave my web browser a stroke.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 09:37:40 PM »
I'm good; both left and right hand.  :cool:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 01:32:22 AM »
I have Viking's disease (Dupuytran's Contractures) in both hands, so I'm either completely in the clear -- or the test isn't valid for people like me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 08:13:31 AM »
I have Viking's disease (Dupuytran's Contractures) in both hands, so I'm either completely in the clear -- or the test isn't valid for people like me.
I have that too (hadn’t heard it called Vikings which is certainly easier to pronounce) And thumb extensor tendon repair surgery from an injury. And significant arthritis in both hands.
I get about 1/2 palm on one hand and about 3/4 on the other if I try until it hurts.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 08:20:00 AM »

I'm getting a mild case between the pinky and ring finger of my left (dominant) hand. When I first felt the bump, I was like, "What the hell is this?" It took me a lot of gazoogling to find it. I'm lucky that it doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the two years since I discovered it. Other than feeling a resistance, it hasn't yet affected hand movement.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
I get mid pinky before arthritis pain says "ENOUGH!"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »
I'm getting a mild case between the pinky and ring finger of my left (dominant) hand. When I first felt the bump, I was like, "What the hell is this?" It took me a lot of gazoogling to find it. I'm lucky that it doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the two years since I discovered it. Other than feeling a resistance, it hasn't yet affected hand movement.

In my case, it affected the pinkie on the left hand and ring finger on the right hand. Several years ago the left hand got so permanently hooked that I couldn't put my left hand into the pocket of my jeans. The VA hospital did surgery to relieve it. They told me that it should give me back 100% mobility and that it would take 6 weeks to fully recover. AFTER the operation, when I was nowhere near recovered after six weeks, they said they had told me six months. (They lied.) It has now been probably about ten years. The pinkie finger is perhaps 80% better than it was, but I can't straighten it fully.

The right ring finger is straight, but the tendon through the palm is so tight that the finger can't be extended straight out, parallel with the adjacent fingers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 02:52:49 PM »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 11:27:39 PM »
Or you can have your doc order an abdominal ultrasound and be sure, especially if you are over 65.

https://news.yale.edu/2021/05/25/all-favor-test-aortic-aneurysms-raise-your-hand

bob

The aorta is the main artery coming out of the right side of the heart and the "manifold" from which all freshly oxygenated blood is distributed to the body.  The aorta is in the chest between the lungs, not in the abdomen.
That being said, my right thumb only goes as far as the fourth (ring) finger.  The test with my left thumb is invalid as a table saw took half of that thumb 14 years ago.

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 12:50:11 PM »
The aorta is the main artery coming out of the right side of the heart and the "manifold" from which all freshly oxygenated blood is distributed to the body.  The aorta is in the chest between the lungs, not in the abdomen.
That being said, my right thumb only goes as far as the fourth (ring) finger.  The test with my left thumb is invalid as a table saw took half of that thumb 14 years ago.

After reading the article linked it is a test for an aneurysm of the ascending aorta, the part of the aorta that comes out of the heart to the arch. In my mind if it works for that it should be an indicator for the entire length of the aorta. While it can be detected with an echo (ultrasound) I would bet a lot of them are discovered as a serendipitous finding during a chest x-ray or possibly a CT. That is usually not something that is screened for. The parts of the aorta are the ascending aorta, the aortic arch, the descending aorta and the abdominal aorta (divided as above or below the kidneys).

An Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) OTOH is screened for. It is recommend all men and women age 65 to 75 get a one time screen which is done by ultrasound for this.   

One thing you don't want to happen is to walk around with an undetected AAA and have it rupture. The odds of surviving that event are slim to none, even if already in the ER/hospital. The good thing, many are slow growing and can be managed very well often just by watching them to ensure they aren't growing excessively or by placing a graft inside your aorta either through an open procedure or through a catheter procedure  that runs through your femoral artery to place a graft at the site of the AAA.

So the PSA for today, if you are 65 to 75 and have not been screened for a AAA it may be a good idea to get checked, it's quick, painless and could be a life saver.

bob

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 03:19:35 PM »
BobR -a former neighbor of mine who is in her early 90s has had two "AAAs".  They repaired the first several years ago but not until it was over a certain size.  You could see the protrusion near her navel and it would "pulse" with her heartbeat.  She now has a second one but the doctor won't operate yet as it is less than 2.5 cm (~1").
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 03:31:19 PM »
BobR -a former neighbor of mine who is in her early 90s has had two "AAAs".  They repaired the first several years ago but not until it was over a certain size.  You could see the protrusion near her navel and it would "pulse" with her heartbeat.  She now has a second one but the doctor won't operate yet as it is less than 2.5 cm (~1").

They normally don't worry about them as long as they are under 5-5.5 cm. Or if they are causing issues. It's kind of weird seeing the belly pulsate with the heartbeat on skinny people. At 90+ years old I would imagine the risk of surgery outweighs the watch and wait attitude of doing anything right now. Once a person hits 80 y/o or so a lot of things are put on the back burner because of the benefit vs risk equation. Although as we age as a society they are doing more stuff to the elderly that they wouldn't do a decade or so ago.

bob

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »
One of the reasons for the doctor's reluctance to operate now is this person has also had open heart surgery about 16 years ago.