Author Topic: Big Boom  (Read 9155 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Big Boom
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 07:23:36 AM »
Any pictures of the aftermath of the area available yet? Be interesting to see what the destruction level is.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 07:51:42 AM »
What's tragimusing is the notion that it couldn't be terrorism because it is all quite natural to store huge amounts of 'splody stuff near the docks.

Riiiiight.  Couldn't be terrorism simply because of that fact.

Yikes.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 08:59:59 AM »
What's tragimusing is the notion that it couldn't be terrorism because it is all quite natural to store huge amounts of 'splody stuff near the docks.

Riiiiight.  Couldn't be terrorism simply because of that fact.

Yikes.

When 2,300 tons of ammonium nitrate went boom in Texas

Texas City disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
A news story said the nickname for the port of Beirut is "The Cave of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves" because of the rampant corruption that goes on there.

I read that a Russian-owned cargo ship loaded with ammonium nitrate sailed into Beirut ~6 years ago for reasons that aren't quite clear, and Lebanese authorities seized the cargo and stored it. A port or customs official had been writing multiple letters to "authorities" for years pleading for help in disposing of this dangerous stuff, but was ignored.

Wonder who they're going to scapegoat.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 09:04:01 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2020, 09:16:44 AM »
When 2,300 tons of ammonium nitrate went boom in Texas

Texas City disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster
So you are saying there is a war on in Lebanon. 

There was also the smaller explosion in West, Texas.  The video I saw on it said it was sloppy storage and failure to keep chemical separated. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fertilizer_Company_explosion
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
I heard someone speculating that this was Iranian missiles meant to be fired on Israel.  Plausible, but no evidence.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
A news story said the nickname for the port of Beirut is "The Cave of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves" because of the rampant corruption that goes on there.

I read that a Russian-owned cargo ship loaded with ammonium nitrate sailed into Beirut ~6 years ago for reasons that aren't quite clear, and Lebanese authorities seized the cargo and stored it. A port or customs official had been writing multiple letters to "authorities" for years pleading for help in disposing of this dangerous stuff, but was ignored.

Wonder who they're going to scapegoat.

The guy who's been writing letters for years. OBVIOUSLY. (Especially if he's dead.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
Whoo doggie there are THOUSANDS of "explosives experts" on Facebook this morning sharing their knowledge...  :rofl:

Best one I've seen?

That was a mininuke delivered by an Isralie midget submarine!

:facepalm:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
Whoo doggie there are THOUSANDS of "explosives experts" on Facebook this morning sharing their knowledge...  :rofl:

Best one I've seen?

My favorite are the ones that say it's a DEW from Trumps Space Force.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:33 AM »

Best one I've seen?

Obama would already be declaring sanctions and calling for a UN vote to denounce it
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
Any pictures of the aftermath of the area available yet? Be interesting to see what the destruction level is.

It's Destruction Level BFC (Big Friggin' Crater)

Army uses RE of 0.42 for ammonium nitrate so 2,700 tons NH4NO3 are roughly equivalent to 1150 tons of TNT. Also, the tonnage quoted is likely metric tons. Converted for us non-metric types, this equates to 2970 standard tons NH4NO3 and appx 1250 standard tons TNT.

That's a lot of "POOF!".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »
Caught some overflight video running on CNN this morning.

Jesus. Just Jesus.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »
Just out of curiosity I looked up whats the lowest yield nuke warhead and it looks like the W54 wins at 10 to 1,000 tons TNT equivalent.  
A variant of the warhead was used on the Davy Crockett. 10-20 tons equivalent
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
"Before" overhead of the of area from Google Maps.

https://goo.gl/maps/qBpdAwqhnhAemJMDA

Based on the Google Maps embedded scale, I measure the elevator at roughly 450' long. Using aerial views of the crater I measure it at roughly 50% wider than the length of the elevator ... about 675 feet. Applying a general rule of thumb normally used for impact craters gives a guesstimated depth of approximately 220 ft. Call it 175 feet to account for the damping effects of water mass.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
Amazed that elevator is still, somewhat, standing
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
Did Trump really say it was a bomb?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
Amazed that elevator is still, somewhat, standing

Concrete elevators are tough critters, especially when pressure waves are exterior rather than interior. A bunch of steel-reinforced concrete cylinders grouped together makes for a damned solid structure.

Brad
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »
The elevator blocking a lot of the blast may have saved a bunch of people
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 11:59:43 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »
I'm surprised that neither of those ships was sunk.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2020, 12:06:47 PM »
If you take a close look at the after picture, any number of those grain silo cylinders have been completely blown apart.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2020, 12:12:19 PM »
Wonder if that grain elevator didn't mitigate at least a little of the shock wave for those in its "shadow" . . . not enough to save any nearby buildings on that little peninsula, but maybe those a kilometer or more away.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2020, 12:34:50 PM »
It likely mitigated a LOT of the shock wave for things in its shadow. It absorbed some of it and redirected a lot more of it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
I saw an article earlier today about this on either Forbes or Bloomberg that had a lot of technical information about AN and about explosives in general -- and it was all wrong.  Also was barely relevant to the story.
"It's good, though..."