Author Topic: Big Boom  (Read 9161 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Big Boom
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
This was alleged to be video from the Beirut explosion.  I saw it yesterday on a different channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiHna-KO_bY

It looks like it would have to have been taken either from the roof of the low building next to the silos.  At 10 seconds in the major explosion goes off and the camera swerves to the left showing some sort of crane or port equipment visible on the north side of the port.

I have no idea how the person taking the video (or the phone it was recorded on) survived.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
Did Trump really say it was a bomb?

The report I saw was that Trump said it looked like a bomb.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »

I have no idea how the person taking the video (or the phone it was recorded on) survived.

Not unknown to find film/video recorded by a, now, dead person
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »
The report I saw was that Trump said it looked like a bomb.

Some of Trump's military advisors thought it was a bomb.  Given the history of Lebanon, it's a logical assumption.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
Not unknown to find film/video recorded by a, now, dead person

Except that this video was on the web very quickly after the explosions occurred.  It made me wonder if the person that took the video was just incredibly fortunate and survived the blast.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
Except that this video was on the web very quickly after the explosions occurred.  It made me wonder if the person that took the video was just incredibly fortunate and survived the blast.
Right.  They would have been incredibly fortunate just to survive long enough to get their phone to safety.

If they had died in the blast I'd expect it to have taken longer than a few hours to get to them,recover their phone, and pull the video off.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »
I would be buying a lottery ticket
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
Right.  They would have been incredibly fortunate just to survive long enough to get their phone to safety.

If they had died in the blast I'd expect it to have taken longer than a few hours to get to them,recover their phone, and pull the video off.

That person's story is bound to be interesting.  If they indeed were lucky enough to survive, I hope it comes out.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
Surviving being that close to a 1kt blast would indeed be a story
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
This was alleged to be video from the Beirut explosion.  I saw it yesterday on a different channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiHna-KO_bY

It looks like it would have to have been taken either from the roof of the low building next to the silos.  At 10 seconds in the major explosion goes off and the camera swerves to the left showing some sort of crane or port equipment visible on the north side of the port.

Looking at the beginning of that, could a fire in a fireworks plant or storage area have led to the rest of it? 

The guy could have been live streaming. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2020, 02:37:35 PM »
^ WLJ:

"Surviving being that close to a 1kt blast would indeed be a story."

Need they have actually been that close with a zoom lens?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2020, 02:43:45 PM »
^ WLJ:

"Surviving being that close to a 1kt blast would indeed be a story."

Need they have actually been that close with a zoom lens?

It appears he/she was on the roof of the elevators looking down at the fire, it's the only building that high and close enough to do that from. So I would say close
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
If they were on the roof of the elevators looking down, that means that they were standing on the portion of the elevator structure that was destroyed. I simply can't buy that someone was that close to the source of the explosion and survived.

Was it a person recording, or was it a rotatable camera being controlled by someone somewhere else?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
If they were on the roof of the elevators looking down, that means that they were standing on the portion of the elevator structure that was destroyed. I simply can't buy that someone was that close to the source of the explosion and survived.

Was it a person recording, or was it a rotatable camera being controlled by someone somewhere else?

I agree. MechAg94 did ask above if they could have been live streaming.
From the motion I would say someone was holding the camera
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2020, 02:50:51 PM »

Speaking of time, can the distance be figured from the flash-boom timing involved?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:17:52 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2020, 02:57:19 PM »
And to add to what I said above
And holding the camera/phone vertically which is another sign a person is holding a phone
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »
Good point.  Never occurred to me since I never use my cell phone camera and my regular pocket camera is sort of "automatically" held in the hand with landscape orientation.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »
That part of the building may have just barely survived the explosion and been covered with grain (or whatever was in the silos).  It is possible the silos didn't spill for long enough for him to escape ... maybe.

Also, a huge amount of the building damage was done by fire over the following hours.  So maybe the guy lived long enough to get away from there.

Or maybe MechAg94 was right and he was livestreaming his last seconds, although the fact that just before the video cuts out you can hear someone speaking is probably a good sign.

It was a person.  They walk around and at one point you can even see their shadow.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2020, 04:13:53 PM »
That part of the building may have just barely survived the explosion and been covered with grain (or whatever was in the silos).  It is possible the silos didn't spill for long enough for him to escape ... maybe.

Also, a huge amount of the building damage was done by fire over the following hours.  So maybe the guy lived long enough to get away from there.

Or maybe MechAg94 was right and he was livestreaming his last seconds, although the fact that just before the video cuts out you can hear someone speaking is probably a good sign.
It was a person.  They walk around and at one point you can even see their shadow.

I'm still finding it to be problematic as hell. The concussion from an explosion that big, even with partial shielding, should have been more than enough to either cause significant trauma even if it didn't cause immediate death.

A blast powerful enough to crumble reinforced silos like that?

Sorry, but I'm just not buying it. Maybe by some miracle, but until I see something proving it, I'm EXTREMELY dubious.

Oh, and regarding fire, the after pictures don't indicate much in the way of fire damage to the silos, nor do the before pictures indicate much in the way of fuel to be burned in the surrounding area. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »
Just saw an official announcement on TV...

Everyone who is confirmed dead in the explosion expired due to COVID-19.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2020, 04:29:45 PM »
I was interested to read the Wikipedia article on ammonium nitrate disasters.  Especially the part where ammonium nitrate congeals into a big lump, and the standard of care is to use explosives to break the big lump into little lumps. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
Ammonium Nitrate is EXTREMELY hygroscopic. As in, if you're drinking a beer across the room from ammonium nitrate, it will drink your beer faster than you can.

In pelletized form it's normally coated with a barrier to cut down on its hygroscopic tendencies, but through handling and storage and time those coatings break down.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
I was interested to read the Wikipedia article on ammonium nitrate disasters.  Especially the part where ammonium nitrate congeals into a big lump, and the standard of care is to use explosives to break the big lump into little lumps. 

Which works great, until it doesn't:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2017/03/03/how-not-to-do-it-breaking-up-ammonium-nitrate
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2020, 05:04:31 PM »

I'm still finding it to be problematic as hell. The concussion from an explosion that big, even with partial shielding, should have been more than enough to either cause significant trauma even if it didn't cause immediate death.

Same here. The dynamic pressures necessary to destabilize steel-reinforced concrete are well beyond lethal limits for us Ugly Giant Bags of Mostly Water. If someone at that distance survived it would be a genuine one-in-a-million happenstance.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB