Author Topic: Happy DUI Checkpoint Night!  (Read 5926 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Happy DUI Checkpoint Night!
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
 [barf]

Not from drinking... from averse reaction to Statism.

I'm going out tonight, to the Mill Avenue area of Tempe, near ASU.  I'm not going to touch a drop of alcohol.  And there's going to be DUI checkpoints all over the effing place.

I have a rehearsed speech:

"How do you do this with a clean conscience?  You realize that 237 years ago, guys in red coats thought they could just stop anyone they wanted in the road, and trample down whatever doors they wanted.

You should be ashamed of your tacit endorsement of a Police State.

Don't you know the difference between a Peace Officer, and a Law Enforcement Officer?

Do I look like I've been drinking?  Does my method of driving indicate probable cause for this stop?  Are you proud of your dereliction of basic deductive logic, and adoption of sloppy brute squad tactics?"

What might the collective hive-mind of APS add?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Happy DUI Checkpoint Night!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
Be sure to tell us how far you get through this before you are proned out and Tased!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
The problem with drunk driving is that your actions can effect everyone in your path, not just you and the occupants of your vehicle.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
I don't like the checkpoints, and I have only ever been through one, minimally intrusive.

"Been drinking tonight?"

"No."

"Have a good evening".

Had I been asked about my business I may have been tempted to do what you are planning, though.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
Failing the attitude test?  Deliberately?  I suggest having all your ducks in a row.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »
It's been nice knowing you  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
Whether there are 1 or 100 checkpoints out tonight, I will neither know nor care. My modus operandi on New Year's Eve is to stay safely behind the locked front door of my home as far away as possible from all the amateur drunk drivers. If not at home, I wouldn't be opposed to camping on a mountaintop somewhere, also well away from the madness of New Years' Eve roads.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
As I was told by one buddy who parties a lot, new years eve is amature night.

I have to work in the morning and my mother burned me and dad out on new years by forcing us to go to first night (and then ordering us along a jammed pack schedule to she the crap she wanted to see)

New Years is pretty 'meh' in my opinion.

And DUI checkpoints don't bother me. Drunks on the road are no good, and heavy LEO presence on the dumbest night of the year is not a bad thing, IMHO.
I mean, really, isn't that what we pay them for?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
http://www.arizonacriminaldefenseattorneyblog.com/law-articles/ - be sure to inquire about the advance notice issue when conversing with the cop.  Or just follow the advice given.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/01/idUS229578+01-Jul-2011+MW20110701

But whatever you decide, let us know how it turned out.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:09:33 PM »
Most LEOs have heard much worse and then had someone vomit on them.

FTR, checkpoints generally are less effective at finding and stopping drunk drivers than placing the same number of officers on patrol.  But, it really isn't about stopping drunk driving anyway.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
polyticks.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 10:11:45 AM »
So AZ did you encounter any checkpoints?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:46 PM »
So AZ did you encounter any checkpoints?

Apparently he hasn't made bail yet  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
I didn't come across any checkpoints.  I didn't try to avoid any, and I went to downtown Tempe as originally intended.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:00:55 PM »
I didn't come across any checkpoints.  I didn't try to avoid any, and I went to downtown Tempe as originally intended.

College chicks  ???

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
i love when they ask "been drinking?"  i tell em  "not in a while"   that usually elicits "how long is a while?!"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
I'm all for DUI checkpoints where drunken drivers have their brains scattered on the side of the road...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
What might the collective hive-mind of APS add?

That's just stupid.

You are NOT helping your case by making yourself look like an idiot.

A) The cops themselves don't really want to be out there doing checkpoints. It's boring, thankless duty, especially if it's cold out...just like directing traffic at an accident scene.

B) Many of them might just agree with you. But when somebody comes up while I'm trying to do my job and starts preaching politics...well, they just become very annoying.

C) They just don't give a *expletive deleted*it what you babble on about.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
Fortunately, here in Michigan our Supreme Court ruled a few years ago that checkpoints are unconstitutional.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
I don't go out on New Years Eve, not because of the roadblocks but because of the potentially large number of drunks on the road...

I also don't work New years Eve (and the times I had to, I did regular patrol- not road blocks) or do DWI road blocks on OT.  Nor do I do the seat belt checks or any other so-called "checks".  Not my cup of tea.  If I want OT, I work shift.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
The problem with drunk driving is that your actions can effect everyone in your path, not just you and the occupants of your vehicle.

I don't care for drunk drivers either, but my next question would be: What is "Drunk"?  I think they define it pretty low these days.

I drove when I should not have some when I was younger and dumber.  I never had trouble controlling the vehicle or keeping in my lane.  It was the falling asleep I had trouble with. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
I am likely safer driving and blowing .08BAC than I am driving with both (mostly well-behaved) kids in the back seat.

Have never seen a bullshinola sobriety checkpoint in Texas.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
I could probably say the same after getting a new truck over the weekend.  That Ford ecoboost is fast and all the bells and whistles take your attention.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »
Checkpoints are illegal in AK. The state makes us go out and hunt our drunks the old-fashioned way........... Through a series of observations that together would tend to show probable cause of impairment.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.