Author Topic: Really?! Man-arrested-over-Tom-Adeyemi-racism-claim  (Read 9715 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Really?! Man-arrested-over-Tom-Adeyemi-racism-claim
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9000418/Man-arrested-over-Tom-Adeyemi-racism-claim.html

"Despite reassurance from his team-mates, plus Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and forward Dirk Kuyt, the right back was visibly upset and tearful..."

This guy needs an injection of spine delivered by R. Lee Ermey.

Maybe the little girl needs "a league of his own".

I didn't see roadking larry's post until I posted this one :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe Larry's league will take the crybaby, but I think they're probably too tough for him.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:42:43 AM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
Wow. Could the article be a little less clear as to what happened? Even so, arresting people over racial comments? That's a whole sight worse than racism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:54:38 AM »
Wow. Could the article be a little less clear as to what happened? Even so, arresting people over racial comments? That's a whole sight worse than racism.

It sounds like someone yelled something at a soccer player which made the player cry. Apparently the something which was yelled indicated that the person who yelled it may have some sort of prejudice against people who look like the player in question. The yeller is to be punished.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »
Thought crime, pure and simple. Hang 'im.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »
It sounds like someone yelled something at a soccer player which made the player cry. Apparently the something which was yelled indicated that the person who yelled it may have some sort of prejudice against people who look like the player in question. The yeller is to be punished.
I keep thinking that now that people know what gets him upset, he will hear it again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »
Aren't there some free speech rights anymore in the UK?

Yes, there certainly are.  They are in a stout box in the warehouse of the British Museum.  I hear there are plans to mount an exhibit soon.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:09 AM »
Old news in Europe.  It was a few years ago when a fashion designer was arrested for making slurs in a bar in France.

Leftists don't understand the real definition of freedom, not at all.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
The article was pretty short on details. What scares me the most though, are some of the comments. if you read through them, you see supporters of the arrest justifying it in the same way someone would justify an arrest for a carjacking or something. Enough people have accepted it to the point that, "It's a law, therefore it has to be a good thing."

It's the same road our legislators want to lead us down. Get restrictions and bans and prohibitions in place in the legal code, and people eventually become accustomed to them, no longer realizing that they were just a little bit more free in a hazy past that they sort of remember. Stove, pot, water, frog. Slowly apply heat.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
The article was pretty short on details. What scares me the most though, are some of the comments. if you read through them, you see supporters of the arrest justifying it in the same way someone would justify an arrest for a carjacking or something. Enough people have accepted it to the point that, "It's a law, therefore it has to be a good thing."

It's the same road our legislators want to lead us down. Get restrictions and bans and prohibitions in place in the legal code, and people eventually become accustomed to them, no longer realizing that they were just a little bit more free in a hazy past that they sort of remember. Stove, pot, water, frog. Slowly apply heat.

And it's mostly the Republicans who get all "The law is the law!" and support stupid stuff once it gets passed.  As long as the law is abusing someone else's rights, it's a good thing -- even a right that I hold dear for myself.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »
It's the same road our legislators want to have lead us down. Get restrictions and bans and prohibitions in place in the legal code, and people eventually become accustomed to them, no longer realizing that they were just a little bit more free in a hazy past that they sort of remember. Stove, pot, water, frog. Slowly apply heat.

Fixed.  =(

"Enforce existing laws"  [barf]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

agricola

• friend
Re: Really?! Man-arrested-over-Tom-Adeyemi-racism-claim
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »

It really isnt. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
And it's mostly the Republicans who get all "The law is the law!" and support stupid stuff once it gets passed.  As long as the law is abusing someone else's rights, it's a good thing -- even a right that I hold dear for myself.

Really? Democrats are quite enthusiastic, when a Republican is alleged to be in violation.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
It really isnt. 

Certainly, there are some forms of racism worse than hatred legislation. An official program of genocide or enslavement, for example. Most racism short of that is preferable to laws against one's viewpoints.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
Certainly, there are some forms of racism worse than hatred legislation. An official program of genocide or enslavement, for example. Most racism short of that is preferable to laws against one's viewpoints.

Not really, at least not in this case.  Arresting the fan appeared justified - he apparently shouted "you f***ing black b**tard" at the player, he did it when his (the players) team were losing five-one, and the fan supports Liverpool (which should be an offence in itself).
"Make peace, you fools"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 05:02:43 PM »
Surely you jest? You really believe he should have been arrested for that?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
I read agricola's post, and am hoping my sarcasm meter is out of adjustment.  If it's otherwise,  :facepalm:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
Not really, at least not in this case.  Arresting the fan appeared justified - he apparently shouted "you f***ing black b**tard" at the player, he did it when his (the players) team were losing five-one, and the fan supports Liverpool (which should be an offence in itself).

If he just hadn't said the word "black" he would've been okay.   ;/
"It's good, though..."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »
Surely you jest? You really believe he should have been arrested for that?

For calling him a black bastard?  Yes.
"Make peace, you fools"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »

Would cracker mother *expletive deleted*er said to a white person elicit the same response from you?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »

So how is that freedom?
JD

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
So how is that freedom?

If he's not a bastard that's a slander.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »
So how is that freedom?

To ask the question is to answer it.

agricola appreciates his gilded chains. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »

fistful, that is similar to the argument that lets Lenin, Stalin, and Mao somehow off the hook or lesser demons relative to Hitler, who killed far fewer.  I don't buy it.

Racism, shmacism.  It is not the racism part of genocide that is beyond the pale, it is the mass-murdering part.  I can live next door to someone who despises me for my race, but leaves me & mine be.  OTOH, I can not abide someone who would harm me or mine, no matter how noble their intentions.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »

To ask the question is to answer it.

agricola appreciates his gilded chains. 

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sure a stupid racial slur deserves ridicule, ostracized, verbal abuse... but arrested and prosecuted? nope.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 10:44:50 PM »
Does nobody else see the irony?  Yelling "You f***ing black b**tard!" is offensive, but "You f***ing b**tard!" is not.  (presumably the player is black)
"It's good, though..."