Author Topic: Single dose of IV ketamine shows promise in treating PTSD  (Read 516 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Single dose of IV ketamine shows promise in treating PTSD
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/AnxietyStress/45314

Wow, this is a very encouraging study for a condition notoriously difficult to treat.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Single dose of IV ketamine shows promise in treating PTSD
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Psychiatry/AnxietyStress/45314

Wow, this is a very encouraging study for a condition notoriously difficult to treat.

Very cool.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »
Very interesting.

0.5mg/kg seems like a lot of a strong thing...  I recall reading about something called a "k-hole", which sounded like a very unpleasant experience.  That in mind, I wouldn't expect ketamine would be a good idea for someone with existing mental trauma.  Regardless, I hope this turns out to be an effective treatment to help people suffering with PTSD.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:14 AM »
The 0.5mg/kg is pretty much a standard dose. I have used ketamine in the ER setting quite a few times, not only are there dissociative effects but it is a great analgesic. An added bonus is it provides the amnesia and pain relief without much risk to airway compromise. Very few adults got it though because of the unpredictable effects when coming back from the trip to the k-hole. We used it much more on kids, they tend to wake up goofy more than anything else, very little screaming, crying, etc. Adults would get a combo of versed and fentanyl or a dose of propofol to accomplish the same thing.

If something like this works, even if it takes repeated use of the drug every few months, it could have the potential to provide relief to many people. Working in the VA, I see the effects of PTSD on a daily basis, mainly from Korea and Viet Nam vets, right now we don't see a lot of kids from the current and recent conflicts, but in the future they will be the ones seeking help for this and hopefully this treatment (if found valid) along with others will be in the mainstream of treatment for PTSD allowing those who suffer from severe PTSD the ability to have a more normal life.

bob

bob

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:20:13 PM »
Where do I sign up?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »
The 0.5mg/kg is pretty much a standard dose. I have used ketamine in the ER setting quite a few times, not only are there dissociative effects but it is a great analgesic. An added bonus is it provides the amnesia and pain relief without much risk to airway compromise. Very few adults got it though because of the unpredictable effects when coming back from the trip to the k-hole. We used it much more on kids, they tend to wake up goofy more than anything else, very little screaming, crying, etc. Adults would get a combo of versed and fentanyl or a dose of propofol to accomplish the same thing.

If something like this works, even if it takes repeated use of the drug every few months, it could have the potential to provide relief to many people. Working in the VA, I see the effects of PTSD on a daily basis, mainly from Korea and Viet Nam vets, right now we don't see a lot of kids from the current and recent conflicts, but in the future they will be the ones seeking help for this and hopefully this treatment (if found valid) along with others will be in the mainstream of treatment for PTSD allowing those who suffer from severe PTSD the ability to have a more normal life.

bob

bob
The versed/fentanyl combo is by far my favorite pre-op cocktail.