Author Topic: Benefits Packages for Former Presidents  (Read 2351 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Benefits Packages for Former Presidents
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »
I thought this was an interesting and unexpected summary. W Bush makes a lot of phone calls. Weird that all they left Nancy Reagan was postage. Seems like health insurance would have made more sense.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34631.pdf
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Benefits Packages for Former Presidents
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
IMHO, the ONLY things an ex-President ought to get are:

1. Normal pension. At nearly $200k today, that's more than sufficient to keep him out of poverty.

2. Secret Service protection - yes, every POTUS makes nasty enemies, making them lifelong targets.

3. Early access to Medicare if he's under 65 when he leaves office; otherwise extend normal veteran's benefits since he served as Commander-in-Chief.

Office and staff? Nada. As a FORMER fed.gov employee, he needs no taxpayer-funded office, staff, or travel.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
Half a million dollars for office space?

No.

Just say no.

The idea of lifetime salary of about $200k is already bad enough.  Bush II is raking in $1.3 million a year on this scheme.  Bubba is getting nearly $1 million.  

Why the heck do these guys need $20,000/month office suites, on the public's dime?  
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:48 PM »

1. Normal pension. At nearly $200k today, that's more than sufficient to keep him out of poverty.
   Only if he has done 20+ years continuous service in FedGov. Otherwise, he gets his 401k, just like you and me.

2. Secret Service protection - yes, every POTUS makes nasty enemies, making them lifelong targets.
   No. Only for active presidents.

3. Early access to Medicare if he's under 65 when he leaves office; otherwise extend normal veteran's benefits since he served as Commander-in-Chief.
   No. Follow the same rules you and I follow.

Office and staff? Nada. As a FORMER fed.gov employee, he needs no taxpayer-funded office, staff, or travel.
   Agreed.

There, that's better.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »

Okay fine.

Agreed

Umm, no.  The USSC determined that the President is NOT part of the military (Thanks Bill Clinton!).  He gets Obamacare or whatever he choses to pay fo rout of his $200K pocket.

Yep.  You want all that stuff, it comes out of the President's "stash".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:57 AM »

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
Cut out the office expenses and let them design an office in their libraries which are constructed with private donation.

Secret service protection?  Yup.  PX privileges?  I'm good.  $200K as a pension?  I'm good.  After all, we want them comfortable so we know where to go to arrest them for crimes committed while in office.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
Secret Service protection for former presidents? Sure, they make enemies. So do lots of cops, soldiers, and DMV employees. I realize governance will be affected if a sitting president is killed off - but the death of a has-been politician will have no real impact outside his social circle. As a taxpayer, I don't see how I benefit from spending lots of cash to protect a has-been.

The pension seems unnecessary, since these guys managed to raise many millions to run, and can make scads of money via speaking engagements and books. I say let them keep the pension, they can use that to hire their own security.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »
Nancy voluntarily waived all benefits.  Class act.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
Benefits Packages for Former Presidents

Protective custody?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
Protective custody?
Hmm ... I like this idea.  Maybe someplace with nice weather. Don't we have a facility in Cuba they have been making noises about idling?  Should be about perfect.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »
Hmm ... I like this idea.  Maybe someplace with nice weather. Don't we have a facility in Cuba they have been making noises about idling?  Should be about perfect.

I'll bet the beachfront is wonderful.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.