Author Topic: Smart Phone / Dumb User  (Read 952 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Smart Phone / Dumb User
« on: August 23, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Have pity on an olde pharte just entering the mysterious universe of the "smart phone."

I just gave up my old (very) flip phone and got a shiny new Samsung Galaxy SIII ('Droid) smart phone. Just got home with it, and I'm already in trouble.

Verizon transferred my contacts from the old phone. That was all there was on the old phone, so that was no big deal. But ... there's a problem: Several of my contacts include both a cell phone number and a home phone number. For whatever reason, the cell phone numbers all came in as the primary numbers (regardless of which was primary on the old phone) and I can call those numbers -- but there's no way to call the home phone numbers. There is no green handset icon on the lines with the home numbers. When I tap each of those, I am offered only the option of sending a text message or a G-Mail message.

Does anyone know how to set the home phone numbers so they can be called?

Second (dumb) question: How the [bleep] do I turn in Wi-Fi? I know it sucks battery life, but for things like adding apps I'd rather do it at home off my DSL Wi-Fi modem and then recharge the battery rather than use up data minutes, which are on a shared plan with me, my wife, and a music-hungry daughter.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:55:45 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Smart Phone ==> Dumb User
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Wifi: Menu key (left side at the bottom of the phone, beside the physical hard key on the face), Settings, wifi On/Off is the first item. You'll need to connect it to your network from the list of available.

Also, this thread title looks like "Smart Phone ASCII Penis Dumb User" which would be hilarious if you're a power user trolling the forums.  :laugh: 
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Smart Phone ==> Dumb User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
Also, this thread title looks like "Smart Phone ASCII Penis Dumb User" which would be hilarious if you're a power user trolling the forums.  :laugh: 

I guess I'm not up on power user TXT abbreviations. I changed the title to avoid unwanted implications and innuendos.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: Smart Phone / Dumb User
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Hawkmoon, this is why it's handy to have a teenager around at times. Electronics and phones.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:48 AM »
I solved the issue of the non-functional phone numbers. I have no idea what the guy did at Verizon, but the result was that home phone numbers got ported into the data field for home e-mail addresses.

The good news is that I know what's wrong. The bad news is that I now get to rebuild my entire contact list, manually, to fix it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »
Hawkmoon, this is why it's handy to have a teenager around at times. Electronics and phones.

Teenager hell. When my wife has problems with her cell phone I sic the 7 year old grandson on her just so I don't have to deal with it.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:08:06 AM »
Unfortunately, my daughter is away at school.

Worse, she's an iPhone user, and I just got a 'Droid!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Hawk, I have an S3 and ran into the same problem. A good friend of mine works in the mobile phone business. He says it just happens sometimes, the side effect of different models, field designations, etc. Be glad you at least got the info ported over.

I leave my wifi enabled 24/7 and battery life hasn't been a problem.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB