Author Topic: IDPA shooter now on 9th Circuit!  (Read 2139 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
IDPA shooter now on 9th Circuit!
« on: January 12, 2020, 01:56:40 AM »
KEEP AMERICA GREAT 2020
 [ar15]
First I heard of this, did you guys hear this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/two-trump-ninth-circuit-nominees-confirmed-over-objections-of-california-senators

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2014/09/17/vandyke-politician-nature/15812491/        ( 2014 article )

Second Amendment

On multiple occasions VanDyke recommended to Fox that Montana join other states' challenges to state and federal gun laws.

In May VanDyke recommended Fox sign-on to brief written by Alabama's attorney general urging a federal appeals court in New York to overturn that state's ban on some semiautomatic weapons.

In addition to supporting the challenge to New York's semi-automatic gun ban, VanDyke wrote in an email to Alabama assistant solicitor general Andrew Brasher: "Plus semi-auto firearms are fun to hunt elk with, as the attached picture attests."

The attached photo showed VanDyke hunting with a semi-automatic rifle.

"That's a SCAR 17 — the same gun used by the Navy Seals (but mine's only semi-auto, unfortunately)," VanDyke wrote.

Later in May VanDyke recommended Montana join another Alabama challenge to Connecticut's ban on semiautomatic firearms.

In February VanDyke recommended Montana join Wyoming's brief asking a New Jersey circuit court to overturn a law that only allows carrying a handgun outside the home upon showing of a "justifiable need."

In January 2013 VanDyke recommended Montana join an amicus brief filed by Virginia challenging New York's ban on carrying handguns outside the home.

Jeremy Johnson, a political science professor at Carroll College in Helena, reviewed VanDyke's emails at the request of the Tribune.

"Clearly, (VanDyke) wanted the state to sign on to join lawsuits involving firearms. He said so himself that at times he had not thought through issues in a particular case, but if a case involved guns he had interest," Johnson said.

Johnson called VanDyke's email to Brasher regarding hunting elk with a semi-automatic rifle "cavalier" and "not considered within the realm of normal sporting behavior."

VanDyke said it was his job to defend Montana's laws, and he said he would follow Supreme Court precedent if elected to the state's high court.

"The US. Supreme Court has recently and repeatedly upheld an individual's right to bear arms under the Second Amendment," VanDyke said. "As a Montana Supreme Court justice, I will honor and apply that Court's authoritative interpretations of the Second Amendment."
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: IDPA shooter now on 9th Circuit!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:41:59 AM »
Elections have consequences.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:41:46 AM »
they sure do, judge kosinski was replaced by sydney thomas, also 2a friendly from montanna, so our benefactor and commander Trump may really have done us a huuuuuuge favor
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:27:30 AM »
I must be missing where it says he is an IDPA shooter.  Can someone highlight that part?  I want to forward it to others.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 11:29:46 AM »
The guy broke down in tears before a Congressional panel?

I forget... Is that good (because it shows that he's sensitive and will treat everyone fairly) or bad, because it shows that he's weak and not in control of his emotions?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 11:39:10 AM »
The guy broke down in tears before a Congressional panel?

I forget... Is that good (because it shows that he's sensitive and will treat everyone fairly) or bad, because it shows that he's weak and not in control of his emotions?
It might just show that having the ABA say such things about him bothers him a lot.  Hard to say.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 01:32:46 AM »
I must be missing where it says he is an IDPA shooter.  Can someone highlight that part?  I want to forward it to others.
I do not see it either, oops.
i got the info from calguns forum

Go Back       Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1576908

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 06:09:15 AM »
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/VanDyke%20Responses%20to%20QFRs.pdf
c. You have also been a member of the International Defensive Pistol Association since 2011 and the Western Nevada Pistol League from 2015-2019. What is your current level of involvement with these organizations? If confirmed, do you plan to remain a member and/or donate money to these organizations?

I am currently a member of the International Defensive Pistol Association. I am no longer a member of the Western Nevada Pistol League. Unlike the NRA, neither of these organizations engages in political advocacy. Both exist to further the safe and legal enjoyment of recreational shooting sports. Membership in IDPA is required to participate in IDPA-sponsored sporting events, so I will likely continue my membership for that purpose. Membership in WNPL provides a discount for participation in such events held at WNPL’s range facilities, so I will likely renew my membership upon my return to Nevada if confirmed. Beyond payment of annual membership dues, I do not plan to donate money to the organizations.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:10:51 AM »
Thanks cordex.