Author Topic: How much worse before it gets better  (Read 10786 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: How much worse before it gets better
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »
Try suggesting to a middle class family with 4 children today that they can live comfortably in that sort of house.  Worse, try telling them that they should live in that sort of house, because that's all they they can really afford.  Be prepared to duck.

Well, there are no houses like that anymore, except in the very worst neighborhoods Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
Also remember that housing quality is improving.  Houses built today have better materials, better appliances, more rooms, more space, and better layouts now than they did 20 or 30 years ago.

My grandparents raised their 4 children in an old 1300 SF home.

Living in 1300sqft, here.  Two kids, two dogs, wife, & self.  House built in 1959.  We have "all the modern conveniences," though.

We made a choice to live in a more centrally-located neighborhood (Richardson, TX, Arapaho HOA) in a small house with a small yard.  The other choice was living way out in BFE (N of McKinney, TX) and driving 1-2 hours/day to work & back for an extra 700-1000sqft.

The neighborhood is still good, though it is a constant battle.  The main opponent being the illegals and their behaviors.  It has come down to fighting off their depredations and chaos long enough for the nasty apartments most live in to be worth it to McMansion builders to buy, bulldoze & build McMansions.  That is turning out to be a Godsend, as the bulldozing removes habitat, reduces crime, and reduces property tax burdens as their illegal kids and anchor babies no longer live in the district.

The other problem is the illegal alien bunkhouses.  Those pop up in the neighborhood and have to be treated like fire ant mounds or they'll get over on you, spread, and make the nearby areas dangerous.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »
Well, my salary just went up 5.5% a year...

As for saving each month, I do that on the front end with my 401(k).

27% of my biweekly salary goes right into the 401k.

must really suck dragging your bag full of gold coins around.  cheesy
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 01:25:22 AM »
Just face it, were all going to be suffering for a few years until wages catch up with increases in food, durable goods and fuel.

In other words......we're doomed......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.