Author Topic: How might you have handled this robbery?  (Read 10735 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: How might you have handled this robbery?
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
Whatever happened to the guy that had shot the robber/robbers that was robbing his neighbors house?

Also +1 on the using the gun inside of your own pocket, of course I don't have one so, :(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Zed

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2008, 11:43:41 PM »
A couple nervous bangers trying to shoot from the hip, who may not even have guns?  I'd take my chances and draw and fire immediately.  There have been too many people here getting killed, AFTER cooperating FULLY with a mugger/robber/home invader for me to ever risk putting myself at their mercy.

+1

Better they get the 1 way ticket to the morgue than you.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »
I would shoot and move. Most people holding a gun in their pocket can't hit jack with it, added to the fact that you shooting them is the one thing they are not expecting.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 03:25:25 AM »
Btw, KD5NRH, I think this one is actually aggravated robbery under Texas law because of the threat of a weapon.

Yes; I was responding specifically to the "just trying to take your wallet" aspect mentioned.  Technically, "Gimme a quarter or I'll scream until your ears hurt." is robbery in Texas.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
"If someone is drunk and belligerent, they'd just get that. Nonlethal."

Eh....I wouldn't stake my health on it working.  The tactic with civilian mace, imho, would be to spray and then run fast in the other direction immediately.

When I was in LE, probably around 1966 or thereabout, we were issued Mace.  The good effective stuff.  It was supposed to replace the nightstick and other non lethal implements.  All that stuff ever did with drunk or crazy or drunk and crazy people was to ramp up their anger.  Generally if there were two officers, the non spraying officer would be on the ground with burning eyes and copious amount of snot emanating from the nose while the sprayer threw down the mace and whacked the assaultive miscreant with the nightstick.

Legal pepper sprays for serfs civilians is probably pretty ineffective.  Just sayin'.

Almost what I told my wife when I gave her a can of OC and a block of instruction in its use. The latter part is where we differ.

Instead of "...and then run fast in the other direction immediately." I told her, "Spray, move because he's going to go for the last place he saw you, and then pick up whatever's handy and do your best to beat the p*ss out of him." She runs like a girl, which is to say there's a lot of activity but not much forward motion.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 06:57:09 AM »
Instead of "...and then run fast in the other direction immediately." I told her, "Spray, move because he's going to go for the last place he saw you, and then pick up whatever's handy and do your best to beat the p*ss out of him."

I gave my wife a Kimber LifeAct, and told her to use both shots, check for effect, and if it even starts to look like the guy's shaking off the effects, use her gun until he stops shaking off the effects.  I carry one opposite my .357 with the same intent.

Right now she's 6.5 months pregnant with a bad back and an old hip injury, and after that's done there'll be several years of dealing with a small child that can't run very fast and that she can't carry fast enough to outrun most attackers.  I've got a bad knee, so I can't do much in the running department beyond a few yards, either.  As soon as the kid's old enough to run effectively, there will be lessons in running away on command and not waiting for mommy or daddy.