Author Topic: First AR-15 build in 6.8 SPC, WOW!  (Read 10787 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
First AR-15 build in 6.8 SPC, WOW!
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »
I finished building my new AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and took it out for a test drive today.  All I can say is WOW, what a nice shooting rifle.

I purchased the upper from Bison Armory thru the group buy on THR.US.  The lower is also from a group buy which is a Cav Arms Mk-II lower.  Thanks to Carnaby and  Bubbles on THR.us for their help on the purchase.

Here's the specifics on the build:

ER Shaw Stainless 6.8 SPC barrel
1-11" twist, 4-groove
Barrel extension with M4 feedramps
Headspaced and Chambered (SAAMI-spec II)
Threaded muzzle 5/8" x 24
YHM flat top upper
YHM low profile gas block
YHM rifle length free floating handguard
YHM bolt and carrier, complete
Cav Arms Cav 15 Mk-II lower
DPMS parts kit
Wolff recoil spring
Carbine size buffer (cant remember the brand)
Tasco World Class 3-9x40 scope (Japan version, used this scope for break in)
C-Products 25 round mags (plan to get better ones in the future)

Total cost of the build was ~$600 ish.  Will have to gather all the receipts and see what it came out to.

I shot 20 rounds of Remington 110 gr HP factory ammo, 10 rounds with 27.5gr of H335 under 110gr Sierra HPBT bullets and 10 rounds with 28gr of H335 under 110gr of Sierra HPBT bullets. 

The rifle shot superbly without a hiccup.  So far, I like this rifle more than I do my Oly AR-15 in 5.56. 

I plan on getting better optics, mags and replacing the rifle length handguard with a mid length shortly.  For now, this will work because I couldn't wait any longer and had to take it out for a test drive.

I have about 150 empty cases, 80 bullets of 110gr Sierra HPBT and 100 bullets in Hornady 130gr Accubond to work with along with H-335 and Reloader 10X.  Gonna keep at it with the reloads instead of factory from this point forward.  I'd like to use this to hunt deer this season cause from what I've heard/read, the 6.8 SPC is suppose to be an excellent hunting round as well.

I'll post pictures when I get home this weekend.

jackdanson

• friend
Re: First AR-15 build in 6.8 SPC, WOW!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

It does seem like a decent hunting round; 110 grs at ~2500 fps ain't too bad.  How is mag availability?

hmmm now I have to decide if I want this or a .50 beowulf... I think the 6.8 is more "practical", but I'm not very practical.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
Nice! I want either a 6.8 or 6.5, but I can barely afford to run the .223 right now.

Some say "Reload!" but that's easier said than done when you can't get components (especially primers). I've got a press ready to rock, soon as I can find primers.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »
Plenty of mags on the market. They go for anywhere from $14 (CDNN) to the mid 40's. Brass is avail in limited quantities. Will post pics tomorrow eve.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »
$600 sounds cheap. All new parts? I should have one.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
The best source for unfired brass is Silver State Armory The small primer brass will produce more consistent velocity, and SSA brass will last longer than Remington. The Large primers also show flat primers at a lower pressure than the small primers. You will have to back off 1/2 to 1 grain of powder when using the large primer cases.

I've had zero problems with CProducts 25 round mags, and the 10 and 5 round CP mags are good too. Avoid the straight 17 round CP mags, they have a reputation for jamming, but after replacing the follower with a magpul, both of my 17 round mags have been flawless. 44mag has good prices with fast shipping.

PRI mags can be loaded a little longer than the CP mags, but they aren't any more reliable and they cost 3x as much. Barret makes 30 round mags that are good too.

I've had the best results with H322 powder under 110gr bullets, both Hornady Vmax and Sierra Pro Hunter. Your ER Shaw barrel with the SPC2 chamber should max out about 29.5 grains at 2650 fps in a 16" barrel. I load them to 29gr and get 2610fps from my KoTonics lightweight barrel. Yours was built to replicate the dimensions of the KT-68 without the chrome lining.

130 gr bullets work better with H335, and the Barnes 85TSX and Speer 90gr TNT work better with faster powders like RL7 or H4198.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »
Didn't catch the barrel length, LennyJoe - 16" or 20".

I've been considering my own AR-15 deer rifle build, either in 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, or a 6.5 SPC hybrid wildcat I have in CAD.  For deer, I'm thinking the extra 4" of barrel would be nice without sacrificing handling qualities too much. 

I haven't heard good things about brass and lightweight .277" bullet availability for the 6.8 SPC.  Hopefully, that's changing for the better. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 11:02:08 PM »
18" barrel. I have Remington and hornady large primer brass and 70 Barrett small primer brass on hand. The 27.5gr of H335 grouped better than the 28 gr and the primers were normal. Will try the Barrett with the 130gr hornady interbond for hunting loads.  Thanks for the info.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »
Pictures as promised.

I'm going to order a flash suppressor next week.

A little closer view.  The rifle length handguard covers the gas block.  I'm going to change to a mid length and a different gas block that has the provision for a sling.  That way I can add one during hunting season.

First 5 shots using factory Remington ammo.  100yds with a scope that was boresighted only.  This was the first time I shot the gun so I didnt know what to expect and had to get used to the trigger.

Second 5 shots after a slight adjustment of the scope (a few clicks the wrong direction)

After that, I started to mess with the scope.  The reloads did't get a chance to go under the camera because I got pressed for time.  My nephew had to get to a track meet so we had to hurry along.  He got to shoot this rifle as well as my MaK-90 =D

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »
That is nice.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a 6.8SPC conversion for my XCR.

bob

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
Nice groups, but what is the shrapnel surrounding the bullet holes?  ???
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
back splatter from the plate the paper is mounted to? looks like it came from behind towards the camera
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
Yep, back splatter. We used an old metal realtor sign to tape the targets to.