Author Topic: I bought an AR  (Read 10773 times)

zahc

• friend
I bought an AR
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:23:48 AM »
So I bought an AR-15. As a city dweller I have no real use for it, but I figured I better buy one before the pre-election hysteria winds up any further, plus I'm having a kid and I figure I need to buy him one in case they are illegal by the time he turns 18.

I bought a S&W M&P pretty much without doing my research. Now I need to stock up on mags and at least 1k rounds of ammo. Where's a good place to get a case of ammo? Cabelas has sales every now and then but prices seem to be over .40 a round. Is this really how much .223 costs nowadays?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: I bought an AR
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:45:38 AM »
My cost on Fiocchi is about 31 to 35 cents a round, so 40 cents sounds about right. It's not 150 for a case of 1000 anymore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:47:02 AM »
Here's $.32/round. (not counting shipping of course)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/1000-rds-pmc-556x45-55-gr-fmj-ammo.aspx?a=981781

More out there, look up a search on Ammoengine, sniff around Weidners too.

All in all, you did well, the M&P is pretty well regarded. What S&W didn't make on it, they sourced from other decent names in the AR game.

I promise not to duck.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:13:45 AM »
For stocking up on mags, my Brownells have never let me down. And they run sales on paks of them all the time.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:29 AM »
Now go register on ARFCOM so you too can become an AR-15 expert.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:17:45 AM »
Aren't those terrorist rifles?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:23:54 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »
So I bought an AR-15. As a city dweller I have no real use for it, but I figured I better buy one before the pre-election hysteria winds up any further, plus I'm having a kid and I figure I need to buy him one in case they are illegal by the time he turns 18.

I've always been confused by this practice.  I mean, if you just want one, cool, no other reason needed; but to buy one just because libs hate them or because they might be made illegal one day doesn't make much financial sense to me (if they're illegal, you won't be shooting yours anymore).  I think a fat donation to the NRA or the state-level org of your choice would be a better use of the money (not to mention training, ammo for guns you have, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I had one myself.  I built it as soon as the AWB ended because I could, because 223 was cheap, and because I wanted to try the platform out.  I had specific design goals in mind (had to be light and compact, no mall-ninja attachments).  Once ammo got expensive and once I realized I didn't really care for it all that much, I flipped it for a very nice profit at the height of the Obama-gun-ban-scare (nothing like selling a 4yo and well used gun for 2x what it cost to build).

As for mags, Jim is correct about Brownells.  Good mags and good prices for their house-brand ones.  Get a C&R, send it to them, and get further discounts (you could recoup your C&R fee in the savings on mags alone).

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
but to buy one just because libs hate them...

That's actually pretty good and very American reason, IMO. Any time some faction seeks to limit or ban something, all freedom-loving people should do their best to quash the movement, and that may include acquiring or popularizing the things to be banned, whether it be books, guns, encryption, light bulbs or whatever. It's a long and glorious tradition.

...or because they might be made illegal one day doesn't make much financial sense to me

The general trend of American gun control is to make things illegal but grandfather in existing examples. See pretty much any gun restriction at the federal level--'86, AWB, etc.. So when this happens, existing examples go up in value. Coupled with the general principle that our currency is inflating and so tangible and useful items will hold their value in the future, I think guns are a pretty good purchase right now, or any time.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
zahc:  The Russian steel cased Tula ammo isn't pretty but it shoots fine.  Gander Mountain in our area was selling cases of 500 rounds for .28/round.  And they don't sell ANYTHING for less than $10/box of 20 (.50/round).

mtnbkr:  One reason to buy now is the general increase in gun prices.  Example, Beretta Storm carbines when they first came out were priced right around $500.  A few years later you couldn't hardly find them for less than $800.  That's a 60% increase in a pretty short period of time.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »
Congrats. Everyone should have at least one.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
Robert has a S&W M&P15-22 with some Magpul goodies on it.

Fun, reliable gun.  Eats all the different bulk (Fed/Rem/Win) .22LR we feed it.

I had a Rock River AR.  I was looking at get a lighter barrel when I had to sell everything. 

Since I carried an M-16 in the Army, it's like old home week when I pick one up.   I miss mine. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
I'm anxiously awaiting my York Arms lower to arrive so that I can build mine. 

It's custom engraved so I have to wait a while - they do them in batches.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
Another ammo source is Georgia Arms.
You might want to pick up some Magpul mags. Never tried one, but AR chatter is that the are better than sliced bread.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »
Also LuckyGunner.com has some deals from time to time.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
That's actually pretty good and very American reason, IMO. Any time some faction seeks to limit or ban something, all freedom-loving people should do their best to quash the movement, and that may include acquiring or popularizing the things to be banned, whether it be books, guns, encryption, light bulbs or whatever. It's a long and glorious tradition.
Buying stuff doesn't quash anything. 

The general trend of American gun control is to make things illegal but grandfather in existing examples. See pretty much any gun restriction at the federal level--'86, AWB, etc..
I won't count on any grandfathering next time around.  I think they learned how well that worked with the AWB.

mtnbkr:  One reason to buy now is the general increase in gun prices.  Example, Beretta Storm carbines when they first came out were priced right around $500.  A few years later you couldn't hardly find them for less than $800.  That's a 60% increase in a pretty short period of time.
No doubt.  Just questioning the idea of buying one for reasons that don't include "I really like the gun and want to own one".

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:01 PM »
Another ammo source is Georgia Arms.

personally, I wouldn't have anything to do with Georgia Arms. Their stuff has been known to have issues. Stay the hell away from el cheapo ammo like USA Ammo and such, too. PMC is what I shoot a lot of, steel case Wolf works OK too. Occasionally we still get surplus pop up.

Keep the bolt wet with oil.

You might want to pick up some Magpul mags. Never tried one, but AR chatter is that the are better than sliced bread.

This. PMAGs are the way to go for durable mags. Vast improvement on the aluminum mags. Don't waste money on C Products or steel magazines of the various makes. Don't waste money on Thermolds.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 10:18:32 PM »

I bought a S&W M&P pretty much without doing my research. Now I need to stock up on mags and at least 1k rounds of ammo. Where's a good place to get a case of ammo? Cabelas has sales every now and then but prices seem to be over .40 a round. Is this really how much .223 costs nowadays?

Other than 'yotes, or dispatching other nuisance animals that require rapid shots at fleeting targets, I'd think a "city dweller" has much higher odds of "needing" an AR or similar rifle...  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
It's kind of funny, because at the time I bought the gun, I almost bought a case of ammo at the same time, but I wasn't sure about the price, so I bought a token box of ammo just so the gun wasn't totally useless until I could order some ammo. But that 20-round box disappeared into that 30-round mag awfully quick.

--Tallpine

Lee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »
That was my thought also when I read "city dweller"...perfect for that. It's not you can plink with a .22 or 12 gauge in the city either.

When did Georgia Arms go south? We used to buy cases and cases from there. Other than a few dented bulk rounds it worked great.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »
It's kind of funny, because at the time I bought the gun, I almost bought a case of ammo at the same time, but I wasn't sure about the price, so I bought a token box of ammo just so the gun wasn't totally useless until I could order some ammo. But that 20-round box disappeared into that 30-round mag awfully quick.

Funny how that works.  ;)
Andy

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »
Just questioning the idea of buying one for reasons that don't include "I really like the gun and want to own one".

Chris

I take that to be a given anytime one of us purchases a new gun and it goes without saying.
None of us had any real NEED for those flare guns we all rushed out to order. I don't really NEED that pink shotgun. Ben doesn't NEED 20 different 1911s. I have a whole bunch of things on my wishlist that I want but would have a hard time justifying if I had to give a reason for them.
I also think ARs are like little black dresses. Everybody ought to have at least one. They go with everything.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
Everybody ought to have at least one.
or three.

I don't think AR-15s or 'assault weapons' bans are going to go anywhere. AR-15s have been one of the if not the top selling rifle type over the last 10 years.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama