Author Topic: Starbucks Buycott  (Read 10811 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Starbucks Buycott
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

The Occupation is planning to boycott Starbucks today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/21/starbucks-boycott-gun-control-group/2681203/

I know a lot of you are too cool to go to Starbucks, or you just don't like their coffee, or whatever. Well, just go and buy a cookie, then. Also, if you pay with a $2 bill (for the Second Amendment) it lets them know you appreciate their gun-friendly policy. Not that anything at Starbucks actually costs less than $2.00.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Starbucks Buycott
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
I got a $25 dollar Starbuck's gift card for Xmas. I will have to make sure I use it!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
This will mark the second time I've been to a Starbucks !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
They still actually sell regular coffee at Starbucks. When my coworkers want to stop there for a grande triple and a half frapalatte double esspresso 2% goats milk hold the whip drink, I just order a regular coffee.

I've held respect for Starbucks ever since I read a local story several years ago about some open carry guys in the Starbucks on the wealthy side of town. A reporter from the local liberal weekly wrote a story on how disgusted he was buy this and in the story mentioned how he told the counter person that she had to kick them out and that she replied along the lines of, "Why do you care? They're not bothering anybody". Which sent him into an apoplectic tizzy for the rest of his story, with, as I recall, 99% of the online comments supporting him. As far as I know, Starbucks never budged.

I don't believe the Starbucks philosophy is "pro gun". I believe they are pro "live and let live", which I think I respect more, because they're defending someone's right to do something in their stores that they may not necessarily agree with.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:45:17 AM »
^^^^^^

Same thing here in WA.

Starbucks is not so much Pro 2nd, it is, we obey the laws of the state. In WA, there have been several OC type of events at many different Starbucks.

bob

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Ok, got my leadfest tshirt on and going for a cup.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 10:47:58 AM »
Amanda and I will be open carrying there later
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
IIRC, someone posted somewhere that the owners/founders of Starbucks are in fact very pro-2A what with them owning machine guns and other Class III toys.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »
No occupidiots.  Although this was the same Starbucks that was drunk dry by the TEA Party protest outside in 2010.

Dunno what I'm drinking, but its pretty good.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
I don't know what it's normally like, but this place seems pretty busy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/21/starbucks-boycott-gun-control-group/2681203/

I know a lot of you are too cool to go to Starbucks, or you just don't like their coffee, or whatever. Well, just go and buy a cookie, then. Also, if you pay with a $2 bill (for the Second Amendment) it lets them know you appreciate their gun-friendly policy. Not that anything at Starbucks actually costs less than $2.00.

Good idea, but 120+ miles round trip is a long way to go for a cup of coffee.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
They still actually sell regular coffee at Starbucks. When my coworkers want to stop there for a grande triple and a half frapalatte double esspresso 2% goats milk hold the whip drink, I just order a regular coffee.

I've held respect for Starbucks ever since I read a local story several years ago about some open carry guys in the Starbucks on the wealthy side of town. A reporter from the local liberal weekly wrote a story on how disgusted he was buy this and in the story mentioned how he told the counter person that she had to kick them out and that she replied along the lines of, "Why do you care? They're not bothering anybody". Which sent him into an apoplectic tizzy for the rest of his story, with, as I recall, 99% of the online comments supporting him. As far as I know, Starbucks never budged.

I don't believe the Starbucks philosophy is "pro gun". I believe they are pro "live and let live", which I think I respect more, because they're defending someone's right to do something in their stores that they may not necessarily agree with.

Yep. It happened a few years ago in Seattle, IIRC. The CEO published a public letter saying that Starbucks welcomes all law-abiding people, regardless of political leanings.

That letter was the inspiration for the "Guns and Coffee" moral patches that imitate the Starbucks logo.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »
Good idea, but 120+ miles round trip is a long way to go for a cup of coffee.  =(

Oh, I guess a few hours of driving is too much, to preserve your gun rights, eh? Sunshine patriots...  :P

Levant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »

Do you think the minimum wage clerk will really get the 2 dollar bill thing?
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Levant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

Being pro live-and-let-live is better than being pro gun; far better.  I respect anyone's right to not like guns.  The problem really does come down to live-and-let-live.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
I'm hitting Starbucks 5 times a week these days.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
it's about a 120 miles round trip for me, although  i do have to see my doctor nearby them this wednesday.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »
I'm hitting Starbucks 5 times a week these days.

I was doing that for a while, then I added up the calories (fancy drink), and cost per month, and went  :O  .

Now it is just an occasional stop.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
I'm not normally a Starbuck drinker but I stopped by after my bike ride this AM and ordered some lime cooler dealio, it was the least calorie item on the menu. I did like it, tasted a lot like a mojito. Might have to have one of those every now and then.

I didn't see any protesters outside and the car in front of me had an Obama sticker on it. I was so hoping to see the usual protester crowd that seems to hang out in front of any thing not Democrat with their crappily hand made signs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 01:50:09 PM »
Do you think the minimum wage clerk will really get the 2 dollar bill thing?

I don't know, but from what I've read, it is "a thing," at Starbucks. I guess it might depend on how much controversy that specific store has experienced, or how much the management pays attention to what's going on at other stores.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
Good idea, but 120+ miles round trip is a long way to go for a cup of coffee.  =(

Oh, I guess a few hours of driving is too much, to preserve your gun rights, eh? Sunshine patriots...  :P

A real patriot like you wish you were would have sent him money to pay for the gas needed to make the trip. :angel:

The local Starbucks did not seem any more crowded than any other Saturday AM - but then I usually drive right on past it to park in front of the place where a bunch of us OC fanatics gather every Saturday for breakfast, conversation, and like we do every week, plan to take over the world.  I stopped in and added to the press of people clamoring for coffee and the right to not be infringed - bringing the crowd up from 6 to 7 caffiene-addled patrons, only one other of which was openly carrying such that I could notice.  And she was a regular at the Saturday breakfast who also decided to protest the boycott.  The rather too-pleasant young man  passing the coffee over the counter seemed to know what the two-dollar bill tip was about, but seemed more impressed that it was a bit more than twice the usual tip he received.

Ordered a "large" - there did not seem to be any confusion over whether that would be a Grande or a Vente.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
A few years ago, I received some $2 notes in my change, passed them on to friends' kids for the novelty.  I was immediately quizzed on whether the clerk gave me the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge."  Seems that the deuce serves as an announcement/invitation among some homosexuals.  :O

I still find Starbucks overpriced, undervalued, will stick to Dutch Brothers, where, last I heard or read, permit holding employees carry at work without jeopardizing their jobs.

Edit to add:  http://projects.registerguard.com/web/updates/26010850-55/combs-barista-plunk-robbery-lane.html.csp
I would have guessed carrying a Glock for defense without a round chambered is a recipe for disaster.  (Almost wrote "Condition 3," would that have drawn fire from the purists?)

Further ETA:  Ooops! "(Dutch Bros. coffee chain co-founder Travis) Boersma said the barista who shot Combs has not yet returned to work. While the man violated a Dutch Bros. policy by taking a gun to work, Boersma said he supports his employee for taking action to defend himself during the incident."  <LINK>
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:48:44 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 02:33:11 PM »
A couple years back there was a big to do in the Bay Area, with certain chains like Peet's not allowing customers to OC.  Charbucks didn't knuckle under to that (OC was still legal in CA at the time) so I started buying a coffee from them every morning.  The nearest one is in  Norton Shores, maybe I'll go to the mall and leer at the girls after getting a coffee.   =D

To celebrate freedom today I bought a Ruger made 25 round mag for my 10/22.  It worked pretty well.  I also bought some PMC 5.56 and checked the zero on my AR.  It was nice to shoot at a real range again!  I need more of those 10/22 mags for the zombiepocalypse.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
A real patriot like you wish you were would have sent him money to pay for the gas needed to make the trip. :angel:

Nah, then he'd get all dependent and stuff. He'd probably start doing drugs and having illegitimate kids.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
A few years ago, I received some $2 notes in my change, passed them on to friends' kids for the novelty.  I was immediately quizzed on whether the clerk gave me the "wink, wink, nudge, nudge."  Seems that the deuce serves as an announcement/invitation among some homosexuals.  :O

I wondered why my cousin always tipped in $2 bills.  He's openly, flamboyantly gay and pays at restaurants with plastic but always tips with cash, and always with $2 bills.  Deliberately gets a stack of them every month from the bank.  I just figured it was a personality quirk.  Didn't know it was a signal.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!