Author Topic: Starbucks Buycott  (Read 10806 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Starbucks Buycott
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 09:40:27 PM »
I resurrect this thread to mention that I'm at a Starbucks now, and they just played the Fistful of Dollars theme.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
I resurrect this thread to mention that I'm at a Starbucks now, and they just played the Fistful of Dollars theme.

Run for the hills!  End times are here!!!!!!!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 05:32:33 AM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »
Being a bit too "in your face" backfired.  Folks need to realize that because a company doesn't take a stand one way or another doesn't mean they want to be part of the debate.  All they want to do is sell coffee.  They were never an ally, but our constant harping that they were "good" shined a light on them they didn't want.

We would have been better off to quietly appreciate their stance on the issue and not turn it into an event. 

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »
Quote from: article
The coffee chain did not, however, issue an outright ban on guns in its nearly 7,000 company-owned cafes, saying this would potentially require staff to confront armed customers.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if any of the stores get posted. If not, this isn't really a win for either side.

FWIW, I wasn't suggesting that anyone open carry in Starbucks. Or not open carry in Starbucks. I conceal, personally.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:48 AM »
Being a bit too "in your face" backfired.  Folks need to realize that because a company doesn't take a stand one way or another doesn't mean they want to be part of the debate.  All they want to do is sell coffee.  They were never an ally, but our constant harping that they were "good" shined a light on them they didn't want.

We would have been better off to quietly appreciate their stance on the issue and not turn it into an event. 

Chris

This. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/09/18/223652632/no-guns-please-starbucks-tells-customers?ft=1&f=1001

From the comments:

I can't wait to see all the YouTube videos that are going to be posted by enraged "responsible gun owners" wearing Gadsen flag t-shirts and spraying rows of venti pumpkin lattes (with whipped cream of course) with semi-automatic weapons. "That that Starbucks! FREEEEEDOMMMM!"

"Partners are instructed not to confront customers or ask them to leave solely for carrying a weapon."

=================

Really don't blame them. Who wants to confront a gun-totin'-'Murican before he/she has had their morning Salted Caramel Cafe Mocha Latte Cappuccino. My guess is that the Roscoeites will still come in packing to show those hippie baristas that they are the only true Patriots.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Starbucks Buycott
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
Kinda like the "no colors" sign i had to post in the bar

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »

Chris

Yeah.

I OCed in there several times. But I OC lots of places.

I guess part of the blame is mine. Oh well.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »

Chris

Yes, sometimes people so blinded by a cause can be their own worst enemy.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:22 AM »
I'm offended, but only because of how fence-sitting, spineless and wishy-washy the Starbucks position is.

"We don't want guns in our stores (to try and appease the anti's who won't shut up), but we're not going to actually say anything, post anything, or do anything beyond this statement here (to try and not tick off the pro-gun people either)."

Weakness and stupidity on their part for thinking this will make the whole thing "go away faster" which I gather is what Starbucks really wants. This just continues it. Anti's will whine that it's "not enough", and Pro's will now be pissed.

They should have had the strength to stay the course Starbucks was on, which was "We don't care either way, and just want to mind our own business which is selling coffee, and following the laws of the states in which our various stores reside, period." This is now like a parent with two bickering kids in the back seat of the car, and finally caves in and gives some sort of hollow concession to the one that's being the most annoying.

Never works. 

I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
From a purely philosophical standpoint,  I can see, and largely agree with AJ's point. However Starbucks, as a publicly traded business, has to look at what's best for their shareholders. I don't know if their current position does that, but I can see their management figuring 'appeasement" and "lets hope this goes away" as the best course to keep the stock from dropping.

I don't necessarily like using something that's not a right and that some would consider a vice as part of my analogy, but I liken the "guns / no guns" issue at Starbucks to "smoking / no smoking". There is no doubt the antis started the hullabaloo, by sticking their noses into the business of a few people open carrying in a Starbucks. Then the gun community got wind of it, and the next thing you know, you have far above the statistical average of open carriers at various Starbucks, not just open carrying, but vocalizing that they are. Now you have people at the Starbucks who didn't care about the few people a day coming through with guns who don't necessarily feel comfortable with a "mob" of open carriers who are there not for a cup of coffee, but to prove a point.

Just like with "no smoking" bans. If a place (bar, restaurant, whatever) has one or two smokers, maybe most people don't care. If an anti-smoker complains though, and the next thing you know there are fifty smokers in the place, not to specifically partake in whatever the place offers, but to prove they have the right to smoke, you now have patrons that didn't care, or were only slightly bothered before, complaining about all the smoke in the room. If the business thinks it will get more business from smokers than from non-smokers, it may ignore the complainers. If it thinks it's now going to lose business, because all those smokers are only there to prove a point and they won't be coming back, it may be more likely, from a purely business standpoint, to put up a 'no smoking" sign.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »
This is now like a parent with two bickering kids in the back seat of the car, and finally caves in and gives some sort of hollow concession to the one that's being the most annoying.

Never works. 

Great, you've now ruined my only parenting tactic.  :mad:

I'll have to resort to threats and duct tape.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
I just submitted this to DuffleBlog

KABUL - Hot on the heels of Starbucks' new open letter asking their customers to leave their weapons at home, Green Beans has taken sides in the controversial "open carry" debate.
"We appreciate that many of our customers like to carry weapons," a spokesman from Green Beans said,"but the fact is, many of our Afghan employees seem quite uncomfortable with our patrons carrying assault weapons"

"We feel very strongly about this and have tried our best not to offend any particular groups. Especially given the outrage we caused in the Air Force after our support of Chik-Fil-A's marriage policy"
"Additionally," he continued, "We feel this is a great way to help curb some of the green on blue violence that continues to plague the Multi-National force in Afghanistan."

Already the statement is causing heated debate on both sides of the issue.

Military officials have made it clear that Green Beans is not "banning" the carry of weapons in their locations, merely "asking" Soldiers accustomed to obeying policy without question to comply with the request. COL Rich Remfson, aide to the commanding General of FOB Leatherneck said he applauded the change, adding "I don't like carrying this *expletive deleted*ing thing around anyway. Do you have any idea how hard it is to carry two drink carriers full of grande cafe mochas with 3 shots of expresso, caramel drizzle, and whip along with an M4?"

"A Coffee shop is no place for weapons," Private First Class Ima B. Pogey said. "I feel safer already." PFC Pogey, a wheeled vehicle mechanic with  547th BSB, believes that the existing PT belt policy is all that's required to keep the coffee shops safe.

Some soldiers don't share PFC Pogey's sentiments.

"What the *expletive deleted*ck is this *expletive deleted*it?" asks SGT John Jacobson, an infantryman with the 101st. "What is this, Chicago? Seven deployments to this shithole and Iraq, and suddenly I can't feed my caffeine need without putting my squad at stack arms and posting a guard? I guess it's back to chugging Ripits and ignoring the tachycardia."

"The background check system used by the US government has never failed. Anyone with a badge is supposed to be here and therefore doesn't need a weapon. That's why we have security guards." Said PO3 Dale Stainbridge, a sailor with the SEABEE detachment.

One prominent California Senator has applauded the policy, saying "These assault weapons, these weapons of war, have no place on the streets of Afghanistan."

As of this writing, the Department of Defense hasn't released an official statement on the new policy.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:34:01 AM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »
If you didn't see this policy coming, you weren't watching. Ever since the last "appreciation" day, with more and more people making it appear that Starbucks was pro gun, the handwriting was on the wall.

The problem I have with it is the devious way that he asked people to not carry guns into the stores. Now when we do, if we do, it is the bad "patriot" who has no respect for the rules. By requesting, Starbucks has removed themselves from being the bad guy, because they did not prohibit guns, they just asked politely that you leave you gun at home.

Now, when the anti gun crowd see a gun carrier at Starbucks, they can shout to the rooftops; "See...Look, we told you about those gun people, they won't even honor a simple, polite, request. They just won't listen to reason, we have to push for more laws banning guns."

I would have rather Starbucks taken a real stand and posted their stores.

Any bad publicity they would have had, now is pushed onto the pro-gun side, and the anti-gunners get away scott free and get to claim a momentous "victory".

bob

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »
Bob,

And it is -ALL- the fault of pro-gun folks who couldn't leave well enough alone.

A company being neutral is a win, we should not have punished them by creating annual "Appreciation Days"; we should simply have patronized them while armed -as part of our normal routine- if we liked their coffee.

The OC attention whores instead put Starbucks on the skyline again and again, which any thinking person could see could -only- have negative possible results.  Once you have absolute free exercise of a right, you can only lose it, you can't get it "more-er."

The phrase is "to shake their fists in the tyrant's face" not "use an unwilling neutral business to rub a "victory" in the face of the anti-gunners."
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
So what was this about gay $2 bills?  I like $2 bills.  <identity crisis>   ???

Can I still tip using 50¢ pieces and Eisenhower dollars?  (dang, those are getting hard to find)
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
I was all prepared to get all preachy about people who are anti OC

Then i just saw some pics from various events

This is why we can't have nice things. *expletive deleted*ers laying their rifles on the ground under their tables, bringing in all kinds of crazy.

They brought this on themselves.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
starbucks is now asking patrons to leave their guns outside!   :O
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:57:42 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
So am I forgiven now for not going to Starbucks  ???

Here's the deal: Starbucks don't see no gun and I don't buy no overpriced long named coffee flavored stuff.  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »

Here's the deal: Starbucks don't see no gun and I don't buy no overpriced long named coffee flavored stuff.  :P

You shouldn't have felt obliged to go there before, not for merely following state law. That was part of the problem, the perception that we owed them anything and should skyline them by expressing "appreciation.".

In any event, Starbucks coffee sucks, always has in my experience.  There are better, local, roasters around, at least around here.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

Here's the deal: Starbucks don't see no gun and I don't buy no overpriced long named coffee flavored stuff. milk  :P

Fixed that right up for you.  Please leave something in the tip jar.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »
I have a confession to make......

I went to Starbucks today....and I carried my gun with me.

My gun was concealed in a pocket holster. No one saw it. No one asked if I had a gun. I never mentioned it to the barrista. I didn't wear anything advertising that I was a gun owner. I bought iced tea for my wife & I. We met with our adoption worker. Our baby girl entertained a few customers. And the barristas thanked us for our business.

That's the way it's supposed to work.

Now, if the Texas Starbucks start posting 30.06 "CCW PROHIBITED" signs, Starbucks will never see another dime of my money. But, as long as they respect my CHL permit, I'll keep my gun concealed and not be a jerk in their establishments.

That's the real meaning of RKBA responsibility....don't be a jerk....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:30 PM »
"What is this, Chicago? Seven deployments to this shithole and Iraq, and suddenly I can't feed my caffeine need without putting my squad at stack arms and posting a guard? I guess it's back to chugging Ripits and ignoring the tachycardia."

As a side note:  Bwahahahah.  That's freaking funny.  I don't know what's in those little cans but they will mess with your heart rate.