Author Topic: Car battery at Walmart?  (Read 1369 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Car battery at Walmart?
« on: January 23, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »
My 3.25 year old stock battery in the 2016 Toyota Tacoma is becoming 'questionable' according to the dealer at my 30K mile check last weekend.  So I have been looking around, and interestingly enough, for about the same price as Costco or the local O'Reilly auto parts, I can get a 24F battery at Walmart and they will install it for free. This appeals to me since they can take the old battery back right there, and I don't have to make two trips to return the old battery to Costco or O'Reilly to get the $ 15 core fee back.

The Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls which is a pretty good brand.  Any reason why I should not go this route?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: Car battery at Walmart?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
Ive only bought a lawn tractor battery from Walmart and it’s worked out fine...
A battery is a battery, unless they drop several times in transit.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
I've had good luck with walmart batteries.  Got 7 years out of one once.

You'd be hard pressed to find a car battery sold in the US that isn't made by Johnson Controls.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
Our O'reilly's offers battery replacement service in the parking lot. Autozone, too. Different in your area?

If memory serves relacing a Tacoma battery is the bracket bolt and two terminals. Take the appropriate size wrench(es) and do the replacement in the store parking lot. Pop out the old battery and take it in with you to avoid the trip for core return.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01:36 PM »
There are two big names in batteries, Johnson Controls and East Penn. I'm a bg fan of the Deka intimidator from East Penn. Eeither way, definitely get an AGM type. They are a lot more durable than the old style plate batteries.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »
That seems like a really short life for a battery. My cars are 10 and 11 years old, and both are on their originals. Both still work perfectly, though the 11 year old one was a little slow cranking the other day when it was -4. Maybe Toyota picked an undersized battery for that truck and it's had a stressful life, or your service manager is trying meet his quota for the month.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
That seems like a really short life for a battery. My cars are 10 and 11 years old, and both are on their originals. Both still work perfectly, though the 11 year old one was a little slow cranking the other day when it was -4. Maybe Toyota picked an undersized battery for that truck and it's had a stressful life, or your service manager is trying meet his quota for the month.

I was wondering about that as well. The OEM battery on my '14 4Runner is still going strong. I'd wanna see their battery test that shows "questionable".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 10:16:04 PM »
I posted about this on Tacoma World, and a lot of comments about how the stock batteries are middling quality at best, and replacing at three years is not at all unusual.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »
I've been running my Dakota on a WallyWorld battery for a couple of years now with no problem.  The price wasn't bad when I bought it.

edited to fix spelling
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:16:02 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 07:09:42 AM »
I've purchased several batteries from Walmart over the years and have never had anything but excellent services from them.

I'm actually thinking about replacing the battery in the Forester. It is, I think, original (2012) and it was cranking a bit more slowly than I thought it should during the recent cold snap.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 07:21:35 AM »
Batteries Plus has 20% off right now if you order on the website and pick up at one of their stores.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

I'm thinking seriously about doing this as that would drop the price of one of the AGM battery types to a much more reasonable level.

Edit in: Well damn, they just changed it to 10%. WTF...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 08:10:25 AM »
I just replaced an oreillys store label battery that lasted 10 years and the price was good. I’ve used the interstate brand from Costco also. I always have an old dead battery around here somewhere to trade for core so I don’t have to swap the actual one.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
Holy crap, Costco has the Interstate 640 CCA for my Forester for less than $75.

I think that may well be the option I need to go. Costco is literally right next to my office.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
I've put walmart batteries in several vehicles and my boat.  No different than anywhere else.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 04:41:46 PM »
Firestone told me my wife's car battery failed on their tester. The next three places I asked said it was fine.

I hope you can trust your mechanic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
Walmart batteries IME are fine. As to the tester, the ones at the dealership are often much better than what places like the auto parts store use.

And on the life, some OEM batteries these days flat SUCK. My Ford has been very reliable, except for the battery died a year in. And the replacement another year in. Replaced it with a non oem battery and have been fine since.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »

Try living in a desert.  I get 2 summers out of a battery.  That can either be 26 months if I buy it in May, or 33 months if I buy it in September.  Been that way for almost 20 years I've lived in AZ, with four different vehicles.  I've bought from AutoZone, Walmart, and Costco.  Doesn't matter.  Two summers is the limit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 06:11:12 PM »
Try living in a desert.  I get 2 summers out of a battery.  That can either be 26 months if I buy it in May, or 33 months if I buy it in September.  Been that way for almost 20 years I've lived in AZ, with four different vehicles.  I've bought from AutoZone, Walmart, and Costco.  Doesn't matter.  Two summers is the limit.

About the same here in hot west Texas. Batteries no simpatico with the heats. 3-4 years is about average for anything but a primo AGM battery (maybe 5-7 years).

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »
I paid $ 103 last night at the local WalMart for a 24F Maxx battery with a five year warranty.  I sorted through the stack and got one with a manufacture date sticker of 1/2019.  The auto tech confirmed that his testing showed the battery was having problems holding a charge, and if this is occurring in a daily driver car, the battery is on the way out.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 04:25:32 AM »

Meanwhile up in cold country my first battery lasted a decade.  Yes, heat kills batteries.  There are chemistries that handle the heat better, but good luck getting them economically.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 06:36:33 AM »
Fistful it’s not about trusting battery testing can be very hit or miss. With the old style carbon pile testers you are supposed to disconnect battery, check electrolyte level, charge for so many hours, remove surface charge then check it. The newer digital testers don’t require that but can give a false reading from time to time. I test the batteries then I check voltage while cranking to give the best results possible
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 11:30:49 AM »
Easiest field test is to do it under load. If you have incandescent headlights it can be done by simply turning on the high beams. Another option is an inexpensive hot coil tester.

Voltage at the battery with key off and nothing active should be around 12.0 - 12.2 volts. Hit it with a load (turn on the lights or activate the tester) and It will probably drop to 10.5 - 11.5. If it holds steady or starts to drop very, very slowly (less than a tenth of a volt per minute) the batter is probably okay and just needs a good charge. If voltage begins to drop quickly (a tenth of a volt every few seconds) then it's likely the battery has shorted internally and is a goner.

Brad
-HankB