Author Topic: Space shuttle Challenger disaster 30 years ago today  (Read 1869 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Space shuttle Challenger disaster 30 years ago today
« on: January 28, 2019, 10:03:51 PM »
I was giving a lecture to a group of dentists when it happened.  The hotel wheeled a TV into the conference hall and we all watched in stunned silence.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Space shuttle Challenger disaster 30 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:07:03 PM »
I was headed into the hanger for a 0900 (PST) pre-flight for a bounce flight (going out to do touch and goes and pilot training). Stopped by the Duty Office to watch the launch. We still went flying but it was a very quiet flight, pretty much all business.

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 10:25:28 PM »
1986, 33 years ago. I was still in high school then. We were watching it live.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 11:50:40 PM »
I was at work,  during a lunch break.  A coworker came into the break room and announced the Challenger had just "crashed."   He had a sketchy reputation and had told some tall rales,  so I didn't believe it.   I went out and turned on my car radio to a news station, and heard it.   I saw the news footage video that evening. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
^ Same thing.  Co worker came in and said it had "crashed."  Immersed in what I was doing and some personal things, I just figured they popped the capsule and the astronauts would be safe while the vehicle itself went down.  I didn't grok the fact that the shuttle had no escape system.

It wasn't until later that I found out all were lost.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:07:00 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:16 AM »
I was home on an emergency leave to attend a funeral the previous day.
It was the first launch I'd ever had the opportunity to watch live.
I never watched another one live.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
Yup 1986 was 33 years ago. I was in 6th grade, watching from my classroom in El Toro, CA.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:55:29 AM »
I was in 2nd grade and we were watching the launch live in class.  Half the kids started crying.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »
I was working and listening on the radio. Watched video when I got home that night.
My best friend growing up (still a good friend) was an engineer who worked on the original space shuttle development and construction including challenger. Iirc there were 4. He worked on airframe design and machining but said all of them were pretty shaken by the failure.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 09:33:38 AM »
Working.  I don't recall anything in particular when it happened.  1989, I was probably kind of distracted/depressed at the time with work and family situation.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 09:44:46 AM »
Sr. in high schoool. Rattled us pretty good because one of our teachers had been among the TiS applicant finalists. Announcement came over the school PA. They called all students out front of the school to gather around the flag for a moment of prayer.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
Had been working swing shift at a now defunct Motorola diode factory in Phoenix.  Got up, turned on CNN for my daily news fix and saw what had happened.  Sat there for hours watching the coverage before heading back to work that afternoon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
We watched it in school, I was in 7th grade...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 02:00:29 PM »
I was at work. My mother called me with the news. Shock and dismay . . . with anger and outrage following in the coming weeks and months as it became clear that POLITICS brought it down.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 09:29:14 PM »
I was picking up something in the campus book store when some random dude walked in and commented about how the shuttle just exploded at launch.  Hurried upstairs to check out the idiot boxes in the student center.  Organic Chem II was pretty somber that day, as were the rest of my classes.

2nd most memorable moment in college.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:10 PM »

I was picking up something in the campus book store when some random dude walked in and commented about how the shuttle just exploded at launch.  Hurried upstairs to check out the idiot boxes in the student center.  Organic Chem II was pretty somber that day, as were the rest of my classes.

2nd most memorable moment in college.

Dude, you didn't get laid until you went to college??? ;)

bob

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »
Dude, you didn't get laid until you went to college??? ;)

bob

LOL!  Ya know, I really don't recall my first time but it was a fair peace before college.  I was thinking more of this fun, watching the sky from outside the student center and wondering where the frak my then GF was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlraM55E3Sg
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 06:32:36 PM »
A bunch of us were in the student commons de-bugging our COBOL programs.  There was a TV near the ceiling in the corner opposite.   DeVry always had the Shuttle Launches on as there were/are many, many DeVry grads working for NASA.  I remember just about everyone had their back to the TV and were hunched over the table going over the 132 column wide green and white tractor paper print out, when I said....."Hmmmm, I don't think it's supposed to do that...." when I saw the SRB's corkscrewing away from the large white puff of smoke.

Someone reached up and cranked and the volume on the TV just in time for us to hear "Flight Controllers are looking very carefully at the situation....Obviously, a major malfunction."

Yeah, the rest of day (week) was pretty somber.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
I was in 2nd grade and we were watching the launch live in class.  Half the kids started crying.

I was in 2nd grade and have pretty much no memory of it at all. We weren't watching it live, so it made almost no impression on my young mind.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »
I was 12, and I and my family were at KSC the day before to watch the launch, until it was scrubbed due to the problem with the side crew airlock.

I remember the cold snap that night, and all the local news about the orange groves spraying water for protective ice, and lighting smudge pots to protect the crop.

We were eating lunch at EPCOT and my father slipped away to a payphone to check in with work, and his coworkers asked if he'd seen the shuttle explode. He thought they were joking.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 12:51:02 AM »

I didn't watch it.
   I was pissed off that we stopped going to the moon, I watched the first two shuttles launch but was pretty disenchanted with the space program.
I recall thinking before hand that it it seemed more like a political launch, Reagan was suppose to talk to the teacher on the phone iirc.
 One of the local conspiracy theorist said that it was done on purpose, because "they" didn't want people to know the truth about moon landings and aliens.
 At the time, we discussed how much they were aware of what happened, I thought they died instantly but another friend, a failed sci-fi writer, insisted that they did not die in the sky, but drowned after landing.
 I thought it was unlikely, even if they survived the explosion, hitting the ocean going that fast would kill them.

The whole thing soured me further on NASA.
The space program of the sixties inspired me. but the seventies and beyond it seemed like a wasted potential.
no moon base, I really wanted a moon base that we could use to explore from without the difficulty of escaping earth.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
     I didn't watch it.
   I was pissed off that we stopped going to the moon, I watched the first two shuttles launch but was pretty disenchanted with the space program.
I recall thinking before hand that it it seemed more like a political launch, Reagan was suppose to talk to the teacher on the phone iirc.
 One of the local conspiracy theorist said that it was done on purpose, because "they" didn't want people to know the truth about moon landings and aliens.
 At the time, we discussed how much they were aware of what happened, I thought they died instantly but another friend, a failed sci-fi writer, insisted that they did not die in the sky, but drowned after landing.

Victor Koman, perhaps.  His first novel was one of the first successful e-books, and discussed the shuttle failure aftermath.  I remember that part being discussed, that the explosion didn't kill them.

I thought it was unlikely, even if they survived the explosion, hitting the ocean going that fast would kill them.

The whole thing soured me further on NASA.
The space program of the sixties inspired me. but the seventies and beyond it seemed like a wasted potential.
no moon base, I really wanted a moon base that we could use to explore from without the difficulty of escaping earth.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.