Author Topic: Dealer Employee Enjoys Customer's Mustang  (Read 728 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dealer Employee Enjoys Customer's Mustang
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
Yeah, this would tick me off too. Especially the multiple trips with buddies. Note the speeds in the lower left of the video.

https://jalopnik.com/video-showing-dealer-employees-joyriding-a-customers-fo-1832206206
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Dealer Employee Enjoys Customer's Mustang
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:55:41 PM »
Obligatory, given the topic.

https://youtu.be/iSjS-iCPeW8
Formerly sumpnz

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
 [ar15]

Sue the jackwagons.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 04:25:58 AM »
Guy is asking for a bit much, but given the dealer's response to making him whole I can understand him asking for the whole kit.

I'm thinking a refund of the alignment and a clutch job.  Because they did acknowledge burning that.

Maybe a few hundred more for accelerated wear of the other components.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:46:31 AM »
Guy is asking for a bit much, but given the dealer's response to making him whole I can understand him asking for the whole kit.

I'm thinking a refund of the alignment and a clutch job.  Because they did acknowledge burning that.

That is my take.  This happened in NJ, so the customer is lucky to get anything more than a FOAD.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »
My Grandfather had a very nice 1976 Ford LTD Custom. Bought it for a song after the guy who ordered it refused delivery after it was hit with a hail storm and the finish was rippled.

He took it in for routine maintenance and it had to stay over the weekend. When he got it back, it had an extra 570 or so miles on the odometer. Grandpa always wrote down the mileage when he filled the tank, and he had just filled it on the way to the dealership... then he noticed that there was a ton of sand in the back seat and the trunk. AND a brand new scrape on the bumper.

Turns out the service manager decided that he wanted to take his skank to the beach in style, so he 'borrowed' Grandpa's LTD for the weekend.

Big mistake. Owner of the dealership, a Masonic friend of Grandpa's for many years, canned the guy and Grandpa got oil changes and routine maintenance for free for as long as he had the car. Dealership also detailed it to get the sand out and buffed out the scrape on the bumper. That was relatively easy with those old chrome girder bumpers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:47:52 AM »
IMO, the only thing he is asking for that is negotiable would be the lost compensation for dealing with the mess.  Fixing up his car and adding new tires is cheap.  Even if they won a lawsuit, that would be more expensive just having lawyers involved.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
IMO, the only thing he is asking for that is negotiable would be the lost compensation for dealing with the mess.  Fixing up his car and adding new tires is cheap.  Even if they won a lawsuit, that would be more expensive just having lawyers involved.   

A completely new clutch, brakes and tires?  Not reasonable.  While the joy ride was egregious, and I support canning the employees, they didn't put THAT much wear on those parts.

Maybe if the dealership wanted to be nice, they could offer free labor install if the owner bought the parts, but to expect parts and labor to be paid for on wear parts that last in excess of 50,000 miles due to a 20 or so mile joyride is unreasonable.

They didn't take it to a track day.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »

A completely new clutch, brakes and tires?  Not reasonable.  While the joy ride was egregious, and I support canning the employees, they didn't put THAT much wear on those parts.

Maybe if the dealership wanted to be nice, they could offer free labor install if the owner bought the parts, but to expect parts and labor to be paid for on wear parts that last in excess of 50,000 miles due to a 20 or so mile joyride is unreasonable.

They didn't take it to a track day.

New brakes and tires is too much to ask for, but a new clutch is reasonable.  Three "mechanics" mentioned they could smell the burning clutch, which means they put more wear on that clutch than normal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:53:33 AM »

Definitely a new clutch. And a complete refund for the alignment. There should be something more thrown in, though, for their negligence in allowing a jackwagon employee to go joyriding in a customer's car.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
Still gotta say no.  "More Wear" is not a new clutch.  Like I said, offer to cover labor if the guy wants to buy the parts as a show of good will.  Or alternatively, pull the clutch out, mic the clutch disc thickness and pro-rate the cost of a new clutch by the amount left.  I suspect, at 8,600 miles, even ridden for a bit buy those idiots that clutch disc is over 80%.  Remember these are stock clutches that are routinely slipped to maintain traction on standing, 5,000RPM starts.

But as a guy that races cars, and has raced Mustangs, and has actually used up multiple clutches, they didn't run through that much material.

What those employees did was disrespectful and shouldn't be tolerated, but they were fired.  The work that was performed (to standard apparently) was done for free.  Owner is asking for unreasonable things, and trying Social Media blackmail and threats of whipping up a mob to try and get his way.  That's unreasonable in any light.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed.  And something like Mike's Grandpa's "free oil changes while I own the car" is probably reasonable to ask for.  Were it my car, I might very well pitch the "I'm going to buy a new clutch and you're going to install it free" line and see if they bite. $8,000-$9,000 worth of parts and service paid for cash at another dealer?  He's on crack.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »

I agree with this. Had they put an employee in the vehicle for a test drive that simply didn't know how to use the clutch, that's simple negligence and I would agree with Dogmush. In this case, it was egregious and they should pay some penalty for that. Free alignment, clutch, and some dough towards new tires. From what I saw at Jalopnik, they burned rubber, and if that caused any outward signs, that possibly also voided the tire warranty.

Those guys were doing 70mph in a 25mph zone. They are lucky they didn't kill someone. It being NJ, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could sue the car owner for that.

EDIT: I should clarify on the tires. I meant something like 25% the cost of new tires, not the full price.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:40:23 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
I don't think this is something the owner should be cheap about.  He is responsible for what his employees did.  Firing the employees is only a start.  Again, it isn't that much money in the long run.  I also suspect this wasn't the first time something like this has happened and I suspect others knew it was happening.  

I would not trust that outfit to touch my car again so an offer of work done there would not be an option.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »

A completely new clutch, brakes and tires?  Not reasonable.  While the joy ride was egregious, and I support canning the employees, they didn't put THAT much wear on those parts.

If they were doing burnouts, they could easily have trashed a set of tires.

A long time ago, in a far-away universe, I was sent to Texas for business. The rental agency (Hertz, I think, but might have been Avis) didn't have any cars of the class my company had reserved for me. To compensate, they upgraded me to a class I had never heard of, and can't remember the name of. The car? A Mustang SVO. Being a gearhead, I wasn't about to decline.

The car had 8,000 miles on the odometer. The tires were worn down to showing the cords on the rear tires.

[Edit to add] BEFORE I set foot in it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:35:06 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 12:03:26 PM »
Rental cars.

The fastest, most powerful, and toughest cars made.

Or, at least they're treated that way.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.