Author Topic: Turns Out I Agree with San Francisco on Something  (Read 751 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Turns Out I Agree with San Francisco on Something
« on: January 31, 2019, 10:36:56 PM »
For different reasons, of course. SF wants to ban/restrict facial recognition technology. The article doesn't make it completely clear, but apparently specific to law enforcement related use of the tech.

SF wants it restricted because its use negatively affects a particular group of people. I want it restricted because I think it negatively affects everyone.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/san-francisco-could-ban-facial-recognition-technology-becoming-first-us-city-to-do-so

I just a few days ago read that some grocery and other stores have been using facial recognition with cameras placed in aisles. I wouldn't mind seeing that nixed as well. Way too big brother for me. Or, for the "private businesses can do what they want" (which I mostly agree with) crowd, at least put up very visible signs so I can decide if I want to enter or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Turns Out I Agree with San Francisco on Something
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »
^I mostly agree.

Of possible ancillary interest...

Carnival of Venice masks:

http://themascherade.com/contents/en-us/d5_Page_5.html

Venetian masks are a centuries-old tradition of Venice, Italy. The masks are typically worn during the Carnival (Carnival of Venice), but have been used on many other occasions in the past, usually as a device for hiding the wearer's identity and social status. The mask would permit the wearer to act more freely in cases where he or she wanted to interact with other members of the society outside the bounds of identity and everyday convention. It was useful for a variety of purposes, some of them illicit or criminal, others just personal, such as romantic encounters.

Supply Search, one of many hits:

https://www.camacana.com/en-UK/venetian-masks-for-sale-online.php

Japan's penchant for surgical masks:

https://gogonihon.com/en/blog/why-do-japanese-people-wear-masks/

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:08:08 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:54 AM »
We could all start wearing these-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_mask

On the bright side, fecesbook fails to tag pictures of me that friends post and I've seen several examples where it has tagged someone else completely unrelated and out of context. I suspect it has a lot to do with the wild facial hair.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »
Remember that scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise was getting targeted ads as he walked along based on the retinal scan of his new eyes?

That's what the global elite want with facial recognition, tracking your every move.

And I don't see how to avoid it, unless you become a hermit. Even that is likely not going to be enough. In fact, I'm willing to bet that taking actions to fool facial recognition will be illegal within my lifetime.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:47:19 PM »
Remember that scene in Minority Report where Tom Cruise was getting targeted ads as he walked along based on the retinal scan of his new eyes?

That's what the global elite want with facial recognition, tracking your every move.

And I don't see how to avoid it, unless you become a hermit. Even that is likely not going to be enough. In fact, I'm willing to bet that taking actions to fool facial recognition will be illegal within my lifetime.
Police in the UK fined a guy for wearing a mask to avoid facial recognition cameras they were testing. Was in the papers just the other day.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:03:46 PM »
Police in the UK fined a guy for wearing a mask to avoid facial recognition cameras they were testing. Was in the papers just the other day.

I saw that. People are also experimenting with using makeup to change the planes of your face and mess with the facial geometry recognition feature.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.