Author Topic: Got my XBox 360...  (Read 2838 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« on: May 05, 2006, 05:43:48 AM »
God it's better than cool, refreshing crack!

I sat down to play Call of Duty 2 last night around 11:30, and the next thing I know it's 2:10 a.m., my eyes are bleeding, my thumbs and index fingers are locked around the controls, and I'm having a huge endorphin rush.

Yeah, I'm happy... Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 06:24:07 AM »
geek.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:26:14 AM »
Go build me a computer, Fatboy...

I'm sure that you have all of the parts you need just sitting around your house...

Who's the geek?

Oh, by the way, I got your birthday gift...

Michelle told me you've been lusting after a working 8088 computer for your "Museum of the Pocket Protector Crowd."

In order to get it I had to fight off a hoard of pasty skinned, narrowtied mouth breathers, but that wasn't too hard. The geek crowd breaks easily.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:41:33 AM »
I have very few computer parts in my house thank you very much.  IIRC, I have a few cables (power, lan, and USB) and a network card.  I'm not the PC geek you make me out to be.   Smiley

Lusting after an 8088?  Only if I needed a new boat anchor. Tongue

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 06:46:02 AM »
You're both nerds...  

Mike and Chris with "XBox" friends

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 06:56:14 AM »
I don't have a hat like that. Smiley

FWIW, I don't own a single gaming system.  The last one I had was a Sony Playstation given to me as a gift about 6 years ago.  The last game I bought for the PC was Quake 2 for linux (tried to support the Linux game "industry").

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 07:00:58 AM »
"I don't have a hat like that."

Nope, you don't. It's far, far worse!

"I'm not the PC geek you make me out to be."

Ah... I know my coworkers wonder what I'm doing when I just burst out laughing like that...

"You're both nerds..."

I'll accept that, but only if it gets me a date with the chick from that movie, the one who showed up at the end dressed in a camoflage bikini...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 07:05:13 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
God it's better than cool, refreshing crack!

I sat down to play Call of Duty 2 last night around 11:30, and the next thing I know it's 2:10 a.m., my eyes are bleeding, my thumbs and index fingers are locked around the controls, and I'm having a huge endorphin rush.

Yeah, I'm happy... Cheesy
Sure, I have all the time in the world to do the kind of research that that level of investing requires, as opposed to letting people like Peter Lynch or Diana Strandberg do the research for me.
I don't know.  What's wrong with this picture?  And I am not picking on Mike Irwin, whom I like.  I am sure there are scads of people just like that.  I guess everyone makes choices as to what is important.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 07:10:22 AM »
"You're both nerds..."

I'll accept that, but only if it gets me a date with the chick from that movie, the one who showed up at the end dressed in a camoflage bikini...
You must be tired from all the XBox action, I was expecting some wise ass Irwinish comeback.  

I'm truly disappointed in you Mike.

You can see the camo chick naked in the first movie. She's too hot for you.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 07:22:40 AM »
"I don't know.  What's wrong with this picture?  And I am not picking on Mike Irwin, whom I like.  I am sure there are scads of people just like that.  I guess everyone makes choices as to what is important."

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this picture, Rabbi.

Properly researching the multiple thousands of possible stock purchase options that would go into a well-rounded portfolio vs the amount of time it takes to plug in a disk into a gaming system and play a few games of kill the CGI bad guy?

I suppose next you're gong to be wondering why Chris is spending time with his wife and daughter instead of burying himself 16x7x365 int stock research?

I'm certain that there are people who consider immersing themselves is stock research more invigorating than a dip in a ocean in midwinter; that it's their life, their existence, the reason they get out of bed in the morning, that they'd rather read a PE statement than do anything else...

I'm not one of them. Stock research isn't enjoyment, it's work. Playing a computer game isn't work, it's enjoyment.

The truly interesting thing is that since January 1, my mutual funds have out performed my individual stock holdings by a factor of SEVEN.

For every dollar that I've earned on my individual stock portfolio account, I've earned nearly seven dollars in my mutual funds. And given that my mutual fund balances are up nearly $40K this year, I have to say that I'm pretty happy with my strategy of letting the fund managers do the lion's share of the work.

Oh, and let me throw one of your quotes back at you, Rabbi...

"I am not sure why that matters.  In fact it is several hours a day.  But a person could be a much better investor spending even 5 hours a week learning and researching."

How do you know what I, or any one else, has done this week regarding stock research?

Or are you just assuming that the time I've spent playing XBox this week is roughly 99% of my free time?

Hint for you... It's not.

Stranger

Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 07:24:29 AM »
Go pick up Oblivion but be warned its like crack and will ruin you social and personal life

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 07:26:47 AM »
"Go pick up Oblivion but be warned its like crack and will ruin you social and personal life."

I'm resisting that game as long as I can. Several friends have it, and they haven't been the same since.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:54 AM »
I bought Oblivion, and suddenly my machine that was state-of-the-art a year ago seems very much like Chris' 8088 Boat Anchor.

Even with the performance tweaks in Oblivion set to "Damn, child, you've got a sorry-arse computer, we're shutting off all the cool stuff", my frame rate is something between 5 and 10 FPS.  Sad

It sure looks like it'd be a good game, if it were playable on my box.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 07:44:38 AM »
I stopped trying to keep up with gaming advances on PC a LONG time ago.

These days most systems are state of the art for gaming purposes for about 3 months now days.

I know a guy who invested close to $6,000 in a gaming PC when Doom 4 (I think it was D4) came out, and it's starting to hit the wall right now with some of the newer games.

That's why I like XBox. You don't have everyone and their uncle out there in a byte race seeing who can control the market for the next 6 weeks with the hottest video card.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »
I am glad there are investors and consumers like you around, Mike.  Enjoy the games.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Iain

• friend
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 08:20:30 AM »
I stopped trying to keep up with gaming advances on PC a LONG time ago...
I'm with you here. My system is presently getting a few upgrades to bring it up to a nice 2004 vintage spec and then I'm dual booting XP and Ubuntu on it and hanging out to see which of the three next-gen consoles I like the look of most. I was intrigued by the Nintendo until they named it.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 08:24:42 AM »
Probably Doom 3, Mike.  My current PC has had a good run, it has played everything for the past three years pretty good until Oblivion.  Probably time for a new one.

But yes, Oblivion will suck your life away.  But it is just so damn sweet.  Just don't close the first gate, unless you like closing gates and playing the storyline.  IMHO, the Planes of Oblivion really detract from the game play, they are repetitive, all the same, and graphically inferior to the 'real' world.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Vodka7

• friend
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 09:02:30 AM »
Oblivion is the reason I bought a 360, but Fight Night and Burnout are the reasons my friends and I go through several six packs and mountains of nachos every week or two.

I highly recommend both of them, especially Burnout if you'll be playing with people who don't play games much--it basically has three buttons, and it's probably the only racing game where crashing in to things is rewarded.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 09:04:39 AM »
I was going to wait for the PS3, but I hear that it will be around $800, which seems a little steep for a gaming system.  Maybe I'll pick up the 360 instead.  Oblivion looks pretty decent.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »
Sorry, Vodka, but the crew that I play with pretty much hates racing games...

OH, if anyone is interested in knowing...

The game title GUN is available for both the XBox and the XBox 360.

It's the same, exactly game.

Only the XBox 360 version costs about $15 more.

I know a couple of people who were suckered in by statements that made it sound as if the 360 version was considerably enhanced.

Stranger

Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 09:30:05 AM »
From what Ive heard Gun is a rental at best.  GRAW is a worthy purchase (but I dont own it).  Im really looking forward to Gears of War later this year.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 09:33:49 AM »
"From what Ive heard Gun is a rental at best."

I figure I'll wait a couple more months and pick it up cheap from the used bin.

mfree

• friend
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 09:38:10 AM »
I bought one last night and hooked it up, after I was surfing yesterday and something "clicked".

It's perfect for streaming audio media, a DVD player replacement, the occasional PVR (even if it's a PITA and requires a computer, but I have that), and every so often some gaming.

So I dropped $400 on that instead of $199 for a media center, $150 for a DVD player with that resolution capability, $100 for a TiVo with $300 for lifetime service, and $1000 for upgrading my PC to current "acceptable" specs.

I think I made out ahead Smiley

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 10:07:53 AM »
Congratulations.
But if it were me, I wouldn't have gotten a game for it that was available for the PC. =\
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Got my XBox 360...
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 10:47:14 AM »
Gun sucked IMHO.  There wasn't much in it that i was impressed with.

My only complaint about CODII on the 360 is the lack of lean buttons.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'