Author Topic: $300 K in hand, where should we move?  (Read 3730 times)

$300 K in hand, where should we move?
« on: May 11, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »
Well, not actually in hand but in equity. We have a nice 8 acre piece of semi rural land and a portable biz in the Puget Sound. - we could move it anywhere the UPS and frieght trucks go. The area is getting built up and I have always wanted more land.

Our immediate enviroment is great, and it will stay that way due to the terrain- there is a very steep unbuildable ravine behind us that acts like a natural barrior- no houses in view, and  we work at home, BUT as soon as we leave it is developments and box stores.

My dream place would have a 60 to 100 acres of hardwoods and softwoods, rolling hills, a bit of good farmland, and some rocky outcropping. A stream is nice. In short, very similar in landscape to where I grew up in central Connecticut, but with out the subdevelopments and multimillion dollar homes.  Not to high on the heat and humidity please. A political climate where people have some independence, I hate dogma.  Nieghbors who like to garden, shoot , fly small airplanes ride motorcycles and drink good beer would be great.  Anywhere near a golf course is probably too suburban for me. A small college town within a couple hours drive might be nice for some artsy craftsy stuff.

My definition of rural is a place you walk down the road with a rifle in hand, not in hunting season, and you don't get the police called on you. Or a place you can put an ultra light strip on the back 40 without having to fight the county. Maybe a place you could build a small dam for power and fish without a jillion enviromental wacko's opposing every move. (I am not talking boulder dam here, maybe a 5 foot high structure for a pond. Around here, that would take an act of Divine Intervention.)

Places I would NOT consider- Cal., NY, NJ, IL., Fl, LOU.,MISS., AK., TX ,ND,MIN.,, some for political reasons and some for climate. (guess which!) Do not get offended if your state is in the list, some of them are bueatifull places but I just can't take the heat!

Some places I have thought about - The northern New Engand states- Vermont, NH, Maine.-- Pennsylvania, and the Carolinas.-- Virginia, Tenn., KT.-- Nothern AZ or NM. -- Eastern WA. or Ore. (altho I hate being lorded over by the Masters in Olympia or Salem.)

Your thought's, please. Thank you!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »
Far Southwestern Virginia, maybe an hour or so from Roanoke.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 08:41:53 AM »
Your thought's, please. Thank you!
I think you're nuts for wanting to leave a place that sounds so serene and peaceful, even given the encroachment of modern man. Cheesy

I'd be tempted to stay as long as the neighbors are... well... neighborly. The land value will only keep going up, and someday a business busybody may well be tempted to offer you much more than residential market value. Then you can cash in on the temporary artificially inflated value and bail.

Just my $0.02.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
Juniata or Mifflin counties, Pennsylvania.

Close enough to Harrisburg and State College to have some contact with humanity, but still low property prices.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 08:58:16 AM »
Try browsing here:

http://www.landandfarm.com/lf/

Then check here for local conditions:

http://www.city-data.com/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 09:14:33 AM »
U.P. Michigan meets all of your criteria plus you get to snowmobile and ski in the winter.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »
Sounds like you would love Northeast Iowa.

100 or so acres that are wooded and tillable will set you back as high as -$400k. Iowa also has a forest reserve program that you can put the timber into and not have to pay property tax or income tax on the timber you sell from it. There are guidelines but they are easy to follow.

NE IA was missed by the last two glaciers and is very similar to the drift-less zone of Wisconsin. Wooded stands of oak, walnut, maple, white pine, poplar and aspen. Doesn't look anything like what people think Iowa looks like. Its within a few hours drive of a lot of Big Ten schools, smaller universities and a ton of private colleges. People there are good people. Lots of streams filled with trout.

It is where I am going to live in the future.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:40:02 PM »
Central Connecticut, huh? How about Kentucky or Southern Indiana? If I ever decided to move back up north that's where I'd look at first. Northern New England, Pennsylvania,  both Virgianias, would be great if it weren't for the proximity to the Northeastern megalopolis and the associated urban and uber-liberal transplants.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:08:16 PM »
Hillsdale, Michigan is a nice place. We have the United States most conservative college and lots of cows. And you can park your truck in your yard, if you want.

For 300k, you could buy a good share of the county. Smiley

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »
For rolling country, few property restrictions and gun friendly areas you might also consider Northern Arkansas (Ozarks), southern Missouri (Ozarks) and south eastern Oklahoma.

Missouri doesn't allow suppressors, though.

Where I am in Arkansas the only rural restrictions are:  If a proposed building has plumbing the land has to perc for septic and wells have to be approved by the county health department (and 100 or more feet from septic).  That's it, no zoning, building codes or anything.  My neighbor dozed off about 40 acres of trees to make a personal ultralight airport so he could crash his ultralight...
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 06:24:16 PM »
If you shop wisely around here, you can get a condemned crackhouse for 200K.  If you shop more wisely, you'll look elsewhere.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »
For all that you think TExas is all that hot, I suggest  you check out Fort Davis, Texas.  Summertime highs around 80 to 85, but low humidity.  20 to 40 percent is typical.  Wintertime is generally mild; although it can get cold, it doesn't stay cold all day.  Small town, but with the McDonald observatory of the Univ. of TX just outside of town there's an above averag itellectual population.  Somewhat artsy-craftsy, but in the middle of big ranches.  About 25 miles to Alpine with Sul Ross Univ.  Not all that far from Odessa and major shopping.

In the CenTex hill country, generally north of Fredericksburg, the humidity is low in summer.  Daytime highs will hit 90 to 95, sure, but nights are cool.  

Lemme put it this way:  90 degrees and 30% beats hell out of 80 degrees and 80%.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 10:34:52 PM »
Re: landandfarm.com

You just put that there to make me cry, didn't you?
D. R. ZINN

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:58:42 AM »
Check Utah.  
I'll bet you can find all your qualifications here, except your neighbors probably won't drink beer.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 04:45:06 AM »
I guess i'd better circle all these places on a big map and take a long driving holiday!  Thanks for all the input!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 05:46:56 AM »
You just put that there to make me cry, didn't you?
You don't know how many times I've opened that link up to the 32,000 acres in Oregon and just daydreamed. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mfree

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 06:11:48 AM »
Oh my. You've enticed me to make plans. My plans typically get accomplished...

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 06:13:54 AM »
We're talking 5+ acre spreads with 3 bedroom houses for what a 1-bedroom condo csts here.
D. R. ZINN

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »
Try northern NV , gun friendly not too many hardwoods though
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »
I've lived in several places on your short list, including KY, SW VA, and TN.  There are various stretches of land between Crossville, TN and Jackson, TN which would probably be highest on the list of what you're looking for, based on your stated priorities.  Franklin county TN (south central TN) comes to mind.  Temperate, still 4 seasons (though mild in winter), and close (as in an hour or so) to both Nashville, and Huntsville, AL.  Amazing deer, turkey, and upland game hunting, the rolling hills, soft and hardwood forests, amazingly cheap land and real estate prices.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 07:08:31 PM »
Check out central WV. If you'd like I'll e-mail some pics and contacts as time permits.
Bob

bg

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 10:09:52 PM »
Too bad you don't have Wyoming in the list, but it DOES get cold
there once in a while...

http://www.sheridanwyoming.org/

elkhunter

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 07:38:18 AM »
You don't know how many times I've opened that link up to the 32,000 acres in Oregon and just daydreamed.
I know the general area where that piece of land is located, and hopefully i'll win the lottery someday. Smiley

That is an awsome piece of land, doubt you could actually get it to pay off in any amount of time, though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 01:24:26 PM »
That is an awsome piece of land, doubt you could actually get it to pay off in any amount of time, though.
Yeah, for the price I figured it is somewhat too good to be true, at least from an income generation perspective in anything but the very long term, but for someone with the discretionary funds who likes solitude, awesome retirement property. Smiley