Author Topic: Word Perversion Example #7854: Atheism and Its Discontents  (Read 6279 times)

griz

• friend
Word Perversion Example #7854: Atheism and Its Discontents
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2006, 09:43:07 AM »
But you did imply that I said, "some people say they want to kill Muslims, but they don't mean it."
I didn't think I implied that, but am sorry if you took it that way.

As for the rest, in the context of the question you posed, I think that thread (not just the quote) DOES show that Christianity is a big consideration in our war with Iraq.  But we have drifted quite a bit from the main topic, so unless you have something else we will have to agree to disagree.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2006, 06:33:28 AM »
My, my, I just wasted a few minutes reading that thread, griz, and let me state that it was not worth my attention now any more than it was at its debut.  I found nothing, absolutely nothing, there that was different or "worse" than the afore-posted quotation from Mrs. Toro.  That lady later made this comment:

the vast bulk of Muslim people are peaceful.  It is the Wahabbists who are causing all the trouble.
Griz, I think if you're going to find any Christians, even nominal ones, who favor killing people because they are of "the wrong religion" or because "the Koran says mean things" you're not going to find them outside of Serbia, if even there.  If some Christians believe Islam is at war with us, and we must therefore defend ourselves, that's a different matter.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2006, 02:49:14 PM »
>Griz, I think if you're going to find any Christians, even nominal ones, who favor killing people because they are of "the wrong religion"... you're not going to find them outside of Serbia, if even there.<

Ummm... excuse me? I halucinated those threats? Or are you strictly refering to Christians wanting to kill Muslims?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »
A Christian actually tried to kill you because of your religion?

Strings

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2006, 08:08:58 PM »
I've had several make the threat: something about how I'd make a good piece of firewood. It always gets pointed out that making a threat against someone who has you outgunned is a bad idea. But to my mind, making the threat is enough...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2006, 08:36:54 PM »
I've no doubt your uncommon religion has attracted its share of wacky responses, as have my own seemingly normal beliefs, and I wish I could have been there to help you out.  However, I would like to know how you know these people are Christians and if you believe their threats were sincere - sincere enough they would support an unprovoked war against "Paganistan" just to wipe out all of your kind.  That would put it in terms of what griz and I were discussing.  If so, I will stand corrected.

I remember having a conversation like this before, but I think it was with someone else.  Something about a drunk redneck with a cross around his neck.

Strings

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2006, 10:28:37 PM »
well, when the conversation goes something like "Why don't you accept the Lord Jeezus* in your life? Y'all are Abominations in the Eyes of The Lord, and should be struck down!", you can make a fair assumption that said person believes themselves Christian...

Would they "declare war on Paganistan"? If they could get enough people behind them, AND manage to find it on a map. Seems the worse your absolute intolerance of differing beliefs, the lower your IQ**...

*this isn't intended as a slam on Christians, or a deliberate perversion of your Savior's name. It's an attempt to convey the dialect. And yes, the caps ARE necessary...

** "Intolerance" meaning at least a small amount of civility. I know fistful would LOVE to get me to convert, but he's still willing to defend my right to my beliefs (even if he DOES think their wrong)...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 03:45:04 AM »
Remain online, Hunter Rose, we are triangulating your position.  Smiley

I'll take your word for it.  Where'd you find this guy, and was he sober?

Strings

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 06:07:55 AM »
Stone cold sober, every time. I've run into them outside gaming conventions, at Ren Faire, even just wandering around on some cities. The one I quoted was bothering me at a convention...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 06:14:30 AM »
I'm still having a hard time believing that these people are anything but talk.  I guess if someone on a forum had told me about Fred Phelps I would have had trouble believing that too.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2006, 06:53:08 AM »
Sorry to let this slip, but I was too busy to give y'all's questions/contentions the time they deserved.

IANAP (I Am Not A Philosopher).  Not even a "Stand up" philosopher.

Quote from: griz
I do not think the wholly secular person can come to accept TUHR without resorting to faith of some sort.  Western Civ's values (if not practices, at times) are grounded in J-C morality
I must disagree with your conclusions.
Throughout time people of various religions have murdered, enslaved, and tortured in the name of their religion.  They typically justified this by saying that is what their g-d or g-ds wanted them to do.  So if TUHR are based on faith based religions, why do the actions of believers sometimes veer from TUHR?
Before I get to the meat of your question I must reiterate or clarify what I wrote before.  My contention is that faith is a necessary but not sufficient prerequisite to TUHR.  But, faith in what?  Faith in the Will to Power?  Nope.  Faith in the sub-human character of your enemies?  Nope.  Faith in darwinian evolution?  Nope.

Faith in Christianity or Judaism* or derivative** faith in TUHR in and of itself.

Many other religions do not have any content that pertains to TUHR (most polytheistic religions, for example, are of the "please god don't hurt me" variety).  Others have ethical content or teachings that do not or only tangentially pertain to TUHR (Bhuddism, ancient Zoroastrianism**, Taoism). Still others have beliefs that are completely antithetical to TUHR (Thuggee, Central American paganism, pagan religions of the ancient middle east, etc).

But, let us get to the meat: what about those Christians who "...have murdered, enslaved, and tortured in the name of their religion?"  This can be answered in several ways.

1. I am somewhat hesitant to quote scripture in such a conversation, but I think it pertains to how Christians view such:
Quote from: Matthew 12:33
Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by [his] fruit.
IOW; if his fruit is murder, slavery, and torture; most Christians would be hesitant to claim him as one of their own.  We can't know with certainty the state of his soul, but I'm arguing in favor of "not."

2. The NT does not call for conversion by the sword and does endorse the OT Ten Commandments, murder being one of the big ten.

3. From the beginning of the state church in the Roman Empire until very recently, it was state & church policy that all were to be "Christian" of the proper type (Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, etc.) in the state, regardless of one's true convictions.  If you were born in Bavaria, you were a Catholic, unless you declared openly otherwise.  My denomination looks with a gimlet eye on the whole state church concept as not legitamate.  Oh, sure, some members of state (& former state) churches can be Christian, but a splash of water on an infant and a fancy piece of paper does not a Christian make.

4. I would mention again that faith is not sufficient.  It took Western Civ over 1700 years to come up with a document that embodied TURH.  The messy, often "two steps forward, one step back" contention between Greek, Roman, Christian, and Anglo-Saxon traditions was necessary to get there.

5. Last, there are those who are truly Christian but do engage in such barbarity.  Christians claim to worship a perfect God, not be perfect themselves.  Is it hypocracy?  Yep, you betcha.  A standard of perfection is impossible to maintain, given humanity's corrupt nature.  That doesn't mean that one should not try and encourage others to do similarly.  In a more general sense, there are folks who will do things antithetical to their beliefs.  I suspect there is more than one libertarian who collects Social Security or uses Medicaid, for example.  Are their beliefs any less valid, given the fact they can not attain Ayn Randian perfection?

* Judaism is an interesting case.  The requirements for the ancient Hebrew state and peoples were pretty darned exclusive, IMO.  Judaism as a stateless religion, although still exclusive, is much more friendly to TUHR without the need to refer tothe OT reqirements and practices for running an earthly government.

** Derivative from Western Civ generally & nondenominational J-C morality in particular.

*** Contemporary Zoroastrianism is a different case.

You could argue that TUHR are a relatively recent construct, but to me that says that the idea is based more on reason than faith.  My contention is it does not require faith in a higher power to realize your highest right is your own life, and from that reason that others should be entitled to that same right and more.
Recent in practice, for sure, but not in principle.

I think the idea that "..your highest right is your own life, and from that reason..." is pretty much confined to Western Civ.  From what I have read, most folks on earth throughout most of recorded history were fatalists who had no inkling of the concept of "rights."  Certainly not African or Japanese peasants.  They took what came to them, be it a kissing or killing.

Juat as you have deduced that "..your highest right is your own life, and from that reason..." is a TURH, the vast majority of those who live in the People's Republic of China (athiests) have come to other conclusions.  If you read a bit about the PRC & the attitudes of its subjects, you come to the conclusion that democracy, liberty, and the whole idea of TUHR are not valued.  (Every once in a while we hear about a pro-liberty activist getting beaten & stuffed into the laogai, but they are not representative.)  What floats their boat is a xenophobic, resentful nationalism and a drive to do well, financially speaking.  

I would suggest that they (subjects of PRC) are for the most part without faith and that they have the values that have been characteristic of China since the beginning of the Middle Kingdom.  When they look at reality without the lens of faith in J-C morality, they see that the individual is near worthless and the group is what matters.  Also, that what furthers the interests of the groups is what is right.

And if Western Civs values are so engrained, why are they not more universal?  On this very board you can find practicing Christians who believe it is moral to kill Arabs because they are of the wrong religion, and others who do not believe non-citizens in this country have rights.  How did they avoid learning about the concept of TUHR if they were grounded in J-C morality?
I think others addressed this sufficiently.

Quote from: Iain
Just initial thoughts in response to your post jfruser.

Morality is a tough one. Perhaps all our religion stems from a basic need to instill certain values in society. You suggest that in the absence of religion then the realisation occurs that nothing prevents the strong from abuse of the weak, and whilst that is true I return to something I made a reference to earlier - the Prisoners Dilemma.

Which makes it a subjective morality of course, and that leads us to some unpleasant conclusions and I don't like it. On the other hand I'm left thinking that the idea that there is an absolute morality is a little too convenient. Perhaps the idea of recognising that rights are inherent in all men, that all men are created with such rights is a convenient way of expressing that we all hold these truths to be self-evident and as long as we can enfore their self-evidence then they continue to exist.

There was, and is for some, a stick and a carrot to christian morality. That works whilst people believe in it. I don't but that hasn't changed my moral perspective greatly because there is a rational conclusion to be drawn that whilst that system exists then the majority of the time the outcome will be the best possible for individuals and society, but that an individuals rights are of great importance. In answer to your scenario I'll say that I believe the first series of '24' contained a similar situation, and the mere thought of violating one person in such a way (to death in this fictional instance if I recall) is abhorrent to me.

From a vaguely anthropological point of view, perhaps that is the function that religion performs, it's merely a social glue. For that to work all the glue has to do is be strong and allow for the growth and success of a society, and where that happens perhaps it actually proves nothing more than that the belief system is successful.

There aren't hard and fast conclusions, but merely the musings of the last few days. It's very interesting, but my head hurts.
Iain, what you wrote sounds something like this, "If the Christian God didn't exist, someone would have to invent him."

Plenty of societies have grown & flourished without the concept of TUHR.  The Greeks* & Romans, to name but two.

* Democracy != TUHR, despite what so many profess.  When 50% plus 1 can exile you on pain of death, I'm thinking that deomcracy is just another way to execise power, not necessarily a means to protect TUHR or a sign of TUHR.

He is not saying that generic religious belief leads automatically to TUHR.
I was trying to credit him with a more general assertion than Christian/Anglo-Saxon superiority.  If that is the gist of his theory, it is easily disproved by other religions who believe in TUHR.  In fact I believe some of the eastern religions came to that conclusion before the Christians did.
Angles & Saxons
A-S genetic superiority with respect to TUHR?  No.  A-S cultural superiority with repsect to TUHR?  Yes.

I think there is little debate outside of the anti-western left that Western Civ. was the first to implement TUHR to any great extent or that W Civ is where all the significant intellectual/moral knife-fights over TUHR occurred.  Even so, there are some parts of W Civ that do TUHR better than others.

For instance, I would argue that those countries that originate from A-S culture have it all over the Gallic and Teutonic cultures WRT TUHR.  The continental europeans have been, since the birth of modernity, more statist and less individualist-friendly than the A-S countries.  For instance, here in the USA we gripe & carp about real and perceived encroachment by gov't on individual sovereignty at the drop of a hat, while the French just go ahead and pass the 800lb gorilla version of the PATRIOT ACT.

Getting to TUHR in practice was a messy, organic contention between several strains in Western Civ.

Eastern Religions
I am trying to think of an E religion that had some significant TUHR content and am coming up with bupkus.

Taosim?  Not in the Taoist tracts I have read.  It is described as either a philosphy or a folk, polytheistic religion.

Shinto?  I believe this is an animist religion.

Bhuddism? My reading of their doctrine(s), is that they have universal truths, but nothing in the way of human rights.  Only "Correct Conduct" may come anywhere close, IME.  I would appreciate any Bhuddism-savvy folks to comment.  Oh, I would exclude the goofy westerners who seem to think that "Bhuddism=AllGoodStuffGoofyWesternersSupport."

Hinduism? Quite a varied religion, IMO.  Some concept of good & evil as well as bearing responsibility for actions.

Sikh? Comes pretty close, though I am not sure if its truly universal or confined to other Sikhs.  It does not predate Christianity, as its roots date to the 16th century.

Zoroastrianism?  The contemporary version comes close, the ancient version, much less so.  Its origins date back to the OT Hebrew tribes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2006, 08:18:14 AM »
Quote from: jfruser
Zoroastrianism?  ....Its origins date back to the OT Hebrew tribes.
Really?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Quote from: jfruser
Zoroastrianism?  ....Its origins date back to the OT Hebrew tribes.
Really?
Time-wise.  I believe they were contemporaneous or pretty close.

OK, after perusing Wikipedia, the range is from 1800-500BC, with the likeliest being 1000BC.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 05:51:24 PM »
Hunter Rose,
                  Every group has its extremist nutty fringe. The right wing Christians have the Fred Felps (sp?) and groups of that ilk.  
The most hateful thing that happens with these guys is they hurt feelings and hand out leaflets.

You get the occasional homicidal maniac that the media portrays as a typical anti choice proponent. We even have some groups I am sure that hate the Muslims for believing different. But I fail to see any proof that these guys are representative of anything other than their particular so called "Christian" cults.

To call them mainstream Christians is wrong.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 06:04:47 PM »
GoRon, Hunter Rose was responding to a statement of mine, which may have been overly broad.  You do make a good point, however.
Quote from: fistful
I think if you're going to find any Christians, even nominal ones, who favor killing people because they are of "the wrong religion" or because "the Koran says mean things" you're not going to find them outside of Serbia, if even there.
Additional commentary deleted to avoid misunderstanding and general goofiness.

Ron

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2006, 06:50:01 PM »
Perhaps misguided is a better word.
Yeah, like not guided into prison fast enough before his/their Savior complex kicked in.

God is not going to sanction murder regardless the just cause used as a defense.

The onus is on Christians and like minded folk to win hearts and minds.

griz

• friend
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2006, 09:40:40 AM »
Thank you jfruser for a thoughtful reply.
I think a big part of the problem is the difficulty in defining human rights in the first place.  We currently consider our list of rights as the best one. (This may be somewhat universal) But there are schools of thought that say rights should include a job and housing, so even within our government there is disagreement.  And the UN considers us as violating basic human rights because we execute some murderers. (Not that I care a great deal what the UN believes)

But before I comment more I need another answer.  My question is about this statement:
My contention is that faith is a necessary but not sufficient prerequisite to TUHR.  But, faith in what?  Faith in the Will to Power?  Nope.  Faith in the sub-human character of your enemies?  Nope.  Faith in darwinian evolution?  Nope.

Faith in Christianity or Judaism* or derivative** faith in TUHR in and of itself.
Saying that faith is necessary for TUHR, then saying that the faith can be in TUHR itself, seems contradictory to me.  I caught the word derivative, but I am assuming you mean the faith is derived from the culture and not on an individual basis.

Since I am trying to address the topic of the thread instead of the many offshoots that are developing, I would appreciate some clarification before I proceed.

Thanks, Griz

Iain

• friend
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »
Jfruser - I am essentially saying that the creation of the Christian religion was and is pretty beneficial, particularly in the area germane to this conversation, human rights and human worth.

That said, my point is that it the value of those beliefs doesn't say anything about the factuality of those beliefs. Christian morals can benefit the man and hopefully those around him, but he won't go to heaven if there is no heaven.

Of course societies can flourish without the same beliefs in rights, more than one way to skin a cat I suppose.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2006, 12:56:26 PM »
My contention is that faith is a necessary but not sufficient prerequisite to TUHR.  But, faith in what?  Faith in the Will to Power?  Nope.  Faith in the sub-human character of your enemies?  Nope.  Faith in darwinian evolution?  Nope.

Saying that faith is necessary for TUHR, then saying that the faith can be in TUHR itself, seems contradictory to me.  I caught the word derivative, but I am assuming you mean the faith is derived from the culture and not on an individual basis.

Since I am trying to address the topic of the thread instead of the many offshoots that are developing, I would appreciate some clarification before I proceed.

Thanks, Griz
Okey dokey.

I am assuming you mean the faith is derived from the culture and not on an individual basis.
Short answer ("Yeah, right!" they remarked...):
TUHR can not be reasoned out or determined from observation alone.  One must have faith in one or more of:
1. Christianity & egalitarianism before the almighty
2. Western Civ's values (which is inextricably entwined with Christianity)
3. TUHR (as a subset of Western values)
Individual or collective does not seem pertinent.  Christians are a group, but most (at least many) beleive that their faith is an intensely personal, individual experience.  Western values do seem more collective than personal, though.  

Saying that faith is necessary for TUHR, then saying that the faith can be in TUHR itself, seems contradictory to me.
I would say that, yes, one can have faith in TUHR.  Heck, some folks believe that crystals can heal them with some undetectable aura.  Others believe that honor is worth sacrificing thier lives to maintain.  Still others willingly put themselves at risk for the sake of others or their country.  PETA activists would deny the morality of animal testing to save human lives.  IOW, a lot of beliefs that make no (darwinian) sense.  Given those examples, a faith in TUHR does not seem far-fetched.  I would bet that hard-core human rights activists have the faith of zealots, even if they claim to be, ah, "unaffiliated" in a religious sense.  SOme folks will beleive in just about anything.

Oh, and another thing:
I have no problem believing that there are avowed secularists* who support TUHR.  In my eyes, Mr. Secularist is holding mutually contradictory convictions.  He wouldn't be the first.  We don't always have perfect reason and perfect evidence to back up what we believe to be true.

* As opposed to an atheist.  I would suppose that a complete secularist would require reason and observation to back up all that they held to be true/factual, whereas an atheist does not believe in God or any sort of deity but may still have faith in...something.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
Sorry for the delay in response.  And by the way, I forgot to include this link when I mentioned in my last post that human rights are difficult to define.  It doesnt prove anything, but is interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights

My problem is with saying that faith is a requirement to believe in TUHR, but the faith  can be in TUHR.  It is a circular argument.  You might as well say that you are a Christian because it is the true faith, and its true because you believe in it.