Author Topic: Web Gurus -- Software Recommendations?  (Read 885 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Web Gurus -- Software Recommendations?
« on: May 27, 2006, 05:22:57 AM »
Here's my problem -- besides being an old fart and still making web pages by writing raw HTML in a text editor, I'm having problems making a page "universal" so it looks the same (or close to it) across browsers and platforms.

This particular page looks great in Linux Firefox, which is what I was checking it with when I wrote it. However formatting, text size, etc. look different and often goofy in PC Firefox and in IE. For myself I wouldn't care, but this is a reference page I originally made for myself for work stuff that other people at work want to use now, and I'm trying not to look like a rank amateur.

I could swear that years ago (when last I made myself a web page) I didn't have this problem across platforms. In this case it could be because I'm using columns and stuff, and back in the day we didn't use any fancy schmantzy formatting options like that. I tried using the Firefox editor, but still ran into the same problems.

Anyways, long story longer, any recommendations for HTML editors that will "fix it" so whatever I write looks pretty much the same across platforms? Free/Shareware would be great, as I'm never gonna get into heavy web development.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:50:36 AM »
If you want something to look the same, regardless the platform and browser...

Publish the file as a PDF.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:56:45 AM »
BenW, are you setting the formatting in your code or letting the browser pick it's own defaults? If you don't specify fonts in formatting in your code, you are at the mercy of the coders who write the browser software and it will pick the browsers default settings.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:50:37 AM »
I like PDFs for publishing, but I often find that when the file loads inside a browser, Acrobat causes a hang on load or when hitting the "back" button to exit the document. This is supposed to just be a "quick and dirty" page of data links, plus I'm the collateral duty IT guy in my office, so I don't want to generate any user complaints and actually create extra work for myself in that department. Smiley

I'll give garrett's suggestion a try and go back to doublecheck font type and sizes. If it doesn't work, they'll all just have to live with "Ben's crappy web page." Maybe I can get a career going as Walter Miller the second.... Cheesy
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 07:01:55 PM »
wheres the code?

i have a young geek at work that can make it so
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:01:40 AM »
Thanks Harold -- I wanna try and figure it out myself first just because for whatever sado-masochistic reason, I learn stuff better by struggling and experimenting. If I get to a hair pulling out point though (which I can ill afford -- why won't global warming increase hair growth???) if that offer still holds, I'd like to take you and your young geek up on it. Smiley