Author Topic: Global Warming -- Can't Convince 'em With Floods? Try Poison Ivy  (Read 1881 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Apparently the National Academy of Sciences is hoping poison ivy strikes more fear into the masses than previous global warming related disaster predictions did.

------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060529/ap_on_sc/poison_ivy_2

Study: global warming boosts poison ivy

53 minutes ago

Another reason to worry about global warming: more and itchier poison ivy. The noxious vine grows faster and bigger as carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere rise, researchers report Monday.

And a CO2-driven vine also produces more of its rash-causing chemical, urushiol, conclude experiments conducted in a forest at Duke University where scientists increased carbon-dioxide levels to those expected in 2050.

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas  a chemical that traps heat similar to the way a greenhouse does  that's considered a major contributor to global warming. Greenhouse gases have been steadily increasing in the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution.

Poison ivy is common in woods around the country, making it a bane of hikers, campers, fighters of forest fires, even backyard gardeners. Its itchy, sometimes blistering rash is one of the most widely reported ailments to poison-control centers, with more than 350,000 reported cases a year.

Compared to poison ivy grown in usual atmospheric conditions, those exposed to the extra-high carbon dioxide grew about three times larger  and produced more allergenic form of urushiol, scientists from Duke and Harvard University reported.

Their study appears in this week's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"The fertilization effect of rising CO2 on poison ivy ... and the shift toward a more allergenic form of urushiol have important implications for the future health of both humans and forests," the study concludes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Global Warming -- Can't Convince 'em With Floods? Try Poison Ivy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:04:19 PM »
My BS claxon is going off the scale....

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 02:15:31 PM »
Yeah but, just think how much better the strawberries will grow!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 06:54:45 PM »
This is just one more pitiful attempt to make the population care about whacko leftist enviromental politics.

And to think, Algore expects this stuff to propel him into the White House...  Cheesy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 07:00:09 PM »
Quote from: Sergeant Bob
The last time the global climate experienced a warming trend was about 500 years ago.  Some researchers theorize that the resulting explosion in food production levels was partially responsible for ending of the Dark Ages and initiating the Renaissance period.

Wanna end hunger and famine and poverty world-wide?  Create more global warming.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
Oh wow. Scientists have discovered that poison ivy is a plant which engages in photosynthetic activity!

This is pretty cool. Do you guys think I can make any money by selling my research regarding the effects of water on wetness levels? Cheesy

Don Gwinn

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 08:27:49 PM »
Gee, do you think there are any OTHER plants out there that would grow better if they got more CO2?  Isn't this a little like saying humans might do a little better in an oxygen-rich atmosphere?  Michael Jackson discovered this years ago.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:37:28 AM »
That explains the treeline behind my house.

I've been engaging in chemical warfare with he poison ivy for the last 3 years.

So far the poison ivy has been winning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 06:24:39 AM »
About on par with the DHMO scare .... Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

engineer151515

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 07:33:36 AM »
If they really want to work us up on APS, they need to start calling it "zombie ivy"  

Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 07:47:42 AM »
Is it TEOTWAWKI if Zombie Ivy starts taking over your community?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 06:40:49 PM »
Yeah......I think I'll take up farming out here in Aleutian Hell.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 10:00:24 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
Quote from: Sergeant Bob
The last time the global climate experienced a warming trend was about 500 years ago.  Some researchers theorize that the resulting explosion in food production levels was partially responsible for ending of the Dark Ages and initiating the Renaissance period.

Wanna end hunger and famine and poverty world-wide?  Create more global warming.
The problem with this argument is that you are making the assumption that radical environmentalists care about it. Here is a scary little concept to think about; radical environmentalists are PRO-famine. Thats right, they *want* people to starve to death. A return to the dark ages is quite compatible with the overall goals of these people. Think about it. They want a smaller human population that has little or no impact on the environment, they want a population that survives exlusively on organic produced food supplies that were grown by the end-consumer. Thier goal *is* the Dark Ages.

If anyone has any love left for these people just take a look at what they have done in Africa. They convinced technologically ignorant and superstitious governments that improved crops from the West would poison their peoples, and so they are now starving to death instead of prospering on readily available food that could *easily* sustain the entire population of Africa with plenty left over for export. That continent *could* be propsering and American environmentalists are one reason why they are dying instead. That is one of the sickest atrocities in world history, and it was carried out by the people who are putting out articles like this from the comfort of their homes.