Author Topic: Dehydration + Riding a motorcycle = potentially very bad thing  (Read 945 times)

Chris Reitzel

A buddy and I rode out to an outdoor range today to do a little shooting, and then we took the long way home.  It was unusually hot today for May in Michigan, around 96 degrees, and very humid.  We had ridden about 140 miles on the way home.  We were were on a 3 lane highway doing 80 MPH, and all of a sudden I started to get some slight tunnel vision.  I immediately started pulling over from the left lane to the shoulder.  I just made it to the shoulder and parked the bike as I got really dizzy, and almost passed out.  I took my helmet off, and all started getting immediately better.  We had only stopped once for water, and I think I had a bit of dehydration going on.  My black helmet was busy cooking my brain as we rode home lol.  I rested there in the grass on the side of the road for about 15 minutes, and all was well.  I rode about another 5 miles up the road, and pulled off into a gas station, and got some water, and felt much better after that.  

Moral of the story, make sure you bikers take enough water with you when you're riding.  I normally take more with me, but this was a spontaneous ride today, and we didn't really take anything with us.  I can imagine that it would have been a very bad thing, had I waited any longer to pull over.  

Just thought I'd share the reminder I was given today :-)

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Dehydration + Riding a motorcycle = potentially very bad thing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:45:59 PM »
You're very lucky. Too much more time in the heat and humidity could have made you sick for days. Or worse.

Up until a couple of years ago, I took anywhere from two to three weeks every July to head out West on my motorcycle, doing 500+ miles a day.

The heat in the desert states--UT, NV, AZ, NM, etc--wasn't the problem, as once the temps got above 100 degrees, I was seeking out a motel with A/C.

The problem was coming back through NE, IA, MN, IL. The combination of heat and humidity doesn't make itself apparent as quickly. One time, while riding through Nebraska, I thought I'd have to check in to an emergency clinic.

I tried the wet scarf around the neck, which helps for awhile. I've tried putting my helmet in the ice machine at gas stations. That helps for awhile.

Finally I just decided to start my day's ride very early, and get a motel very early.

There's a plastic bag type of thing that freezes very quickly and can be put in strategic spots on your body to cool you down. Hunter Rose mentioned it last weekend at the NRA convention. I'm sure he'll chime in here in the next few days.

Thank God you knew when to quit.

Chris Reitzel

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
You're very lucky. ...
Yeah, I know I got really lucky today.  I've been kicking myself about it since I got home.  I usually have at least a couple of liters of water on me whenever I plan on riding for any length of time.  I've seen those things you can freeze, but I've never bought one, being as I'm here in Michigan, and we don't get too many riding days that are above 90 degrees.  I'm seriously considering picking up something like that now though.

Chris

Strings

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:34:32 PM »
Well... I can't find the website I was given for them originally. These things (link) seem to be a similar design, but the ones I saw looked almost like a breast implant, and only ran $20-30...

Chris Reitzel

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
Well... I can't find the website I was given for them originally. These things (link) seem to be a similar design, but the ones I saw looked almost like a breast implant, and only ran $20-30...
Thanks for the link Hunter, those look pretty cool.  Gonna check them out.  

Chris

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:13:18 PM »
That's why I try to suck in as many protein-and-fluid-rich insects as possible while riding.  

Plus the crunching of the exoskeletons helps keep you awake. Wink
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 03:07:07 AM »
well, couple tricks.
a.  you need to be covered.  I assume you are wearing full gear.  This sounds backwards, but ti's true, a full coverage riding suit (like a 'stich is best, but others work), will help you stay cooler longer.  riding in a t-shirt dries you out without you feeling it.
Drink lots at stops, lots and lots.  If you aren't peeing, you aren't drinking enough.
get a good helmet that vents.  I find that sitting in traffic is way hotter than just riding along.
Oh, and sometimes, it's just hot and there isn't much you can do about it.

IBA:  BBG, BB, SS
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:47:37 AM »
We dont run into the heat problem too much in my neck of the woods (ask me about rain gear though). However, on a long trip when I know its going to be hot I think a camelback of some variety is the best way to go. Keeping hydrated is going to be the number 1 priority. You can try to keep cool, but even with all the best vented gear you can buy the windlbast is blowing the sweat right off your body, which is going to cause you to sweat even more, thus dehydration. I dont have a camelbak (again, not a common issue for me) but I do use a sport bottle with a long bendy straw thingie in my tank bag, replacing fluids is the only real solution, and waiting for a gas stop isnt going to cut it.

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 08:09:31 PM »
Camelbacks are great, especially the ones built right into a big backpack of sorts. You really, really drink a lot more water when you sip from a one. This isn't just anecdotal evidence either; they have been dabbling with them in Air Force basic training and the trainees have much fewer problems with hydration.