Author Topic: This will leave a mark...  (Read 661 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This will leave a mark...
« on: May 30, 2006, 07:56:35 AM »
somewhere underneath all of the char...

LANGLEY, British Columbia -- A 35-year-old man was electrocuted when he cut through a high-voltage line near a British Columbia Hydro substation, apparently while trying to steal copper wire, officials said.

A utility worker investigating a power failure in this suburb south of Vancouver found the dead man in a normally locked underground junction box near a substation about 3 a.m. Monday, Hydro officials said.

A preliminary investigation indicated the man, who had a criminal record, was attempting to cut a live wire when he was fatally jolted by about 14,000 volts of electricity, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Cpl. Diane Blain said.

Rising metal prices have fueled a growing theft problem for numerous businesses, including Telus, the largest telephone company in the province, and the electrical utility. The price of copper has more than doubled, going from $1.98 on Jan. 1 to a record $4.04 per pound recently.

"Last year we had a fellow who lost two fingers trying to steal Telus wires and now we've got a death," Blain said.

"They'll steal anything that is metal," she said. "It has been a problem we have been battling for a long time."

"It is on the increase," Hydro spokeswoman Tarina Palmer said. "Copper prices are the highest they've been for some time."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:08:48 AM »
Didn't we have a similar post several weeks ago?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:19:03 AM »
May have. Metal prices are up, and every time metal prices are up some halfwit gets the idea that there's a lot of copper in those high-voltage electrical lines.

Thefts of copper pipe from new/renovated homes are on the rise, as well.

I suspect you're going to see a fair number of deaths from this kind of BS. Obviously it's the fault of the power companies for maintaining attractive, profitable nuisances, and the families of the deceased need to be given huge cash settlements to ease their grief.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 10:17:58 AM »
Yea, just recently up here a plumber went out to the job that he had piped in just the day before to find all his nice shiny new copper pipe (and work) completely gone. I've got MY copper pipe in the safe, right next to the Bushy. J/K but I ain't leaving it on the jobsite overnight like I used to.

shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!