Author Topic: Bisquick  (Read 1805 times)

Bisquick
« on: May 30, 2006, 08:57:10 AM »
Bisquick

Yep, the all purpose baking mix.

I grew up with this; there was always a box in the cupboard, along with a box of powdered milk, kitchen matches, round toothpicks&

Oh we did the old fashioned way of baked goods; just Bisquick was, well, like there was a firearm behind every back door.

I was sharing with kids and their mom how there used to be a Game & Fish pond, open to the public, and folks used to fish for the big gold fish  and whatnot, using biscuit dough for bait. Sometimes we bought a 3cent can of canned biscuits.

At this point the kids just have to head to the kitchen to see if mom has a box of Bisquick, funny, mom has used this for drop biscuits, pancakes, and other uses, just the kids had not paid attention. So tuna biscuits and cheese biscuits were fixed up and the kids helped and thought pretty cool.

Does biscuit dough really catch fish?

Yep!

Grandparents have a pond, and access to a neighbors, grandparents have been forewarned

Grandparents let the kids mix up the Bisquick and water, make dough, and off they head out.

Grandpa has some bleach bottles, and sets out one for each kid for cat fishing. Tie cord to bleach bottle and something to the bank, and use line, sinker, hook and instead of chicken livers, a big dough ball.

Fish are caught, most released, two eating sized crappie and two bream are kept.

Kids and grandparents having a great time, this is different that digging for worms, besides the dog is just too funny trying to eat a dough ball, this equates to a dog eating a marshmallow, cheapest entertainment in town&

Then it was decided to fish the neighbors pond, and see the horses, actually more to see the horses, visit, and see how the garden was coming along. Still the neighbor shared how he too grew up with Bisquick, and yes he used it for bait too&suggested they talk mom into making blueberry pancakes. Yum.

Neighbors pond only had little fish, and he apologized for not having mowed to get the high grass down on the far side where fishing was better. Suggested they not fish over there, because of snakes, ticks and the like, said to come back anytime, always welcome, and apologized again.

The Bleach bottles were dancing upon return, this was exciting, and two nice catfish were pulled out, one about 6#, the other 4 #s. Grandpa showed how to nail to a tree, and after cutting the skin, used pliers to skin&these filleted, and the remains tossed back into the pond. The other fished cleaned and these remains went into the pond as well.

Grandma cooked these up with all the fixings, grandparents, mom and kids had a good meal and visit.

Mom, you any good at making blueberry pancakes?

Yes I am

Nuh uh- prove it tomorrow morning  okay&please?

The Bisquick box does read all purpose.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bisquick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 09:02:18 AM »
Disgusting stuff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Bisquick
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
Ohhhhh Bisquick....

Equal parts disgusting/good.

Some of the local Chineese take-out places have "sweet dumplings" for dessert. Essentialy they're a dollop of Bisquick batter into Wok oil, and rolled in sugar.

And when you bite into them, the oil comes back out through the sugar. Oh, it's soooooo good/awful.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Bisquick
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »
roll yer own Bisquick:

9    cups flour
1/4    cup sugar
2 1/3    cups powdered milk
1    tablespoon salt
1/3    cup baking powder
2    cups shortening
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Bisquick
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 09:16:11 AM »
My wife has been making bisquik for years, and keeps me fat and happy with it.
Works on fish real well.  
I prefer Chocolate Chip pancakes more than blueberry, but one has to eat 4 plain before desert.

So the plain ones end up about the size of silver dollars and the Chocolate chip ones end up about 3 to a large skillet.
Brian
<><
:)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Bisquick
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »
Somewhere on the box it tells you to add lemon juice and baking powder to your bisquick pancake batter. By all means, try it!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Bisquick
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 10:28:56 AM »
the box bisquick comes in tastes better than bisquick

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
Bisquick
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »
Damn, I never even THOUGHT to try the box...

Thanks Charb!

Cheesy

trapperready

• friend
Bisquick
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 11:37:32 AM »
I spent 5 years in college, although I only had money for 4 of them. For the last year, Bisquick was a staple. OK, the staple. Between that and Campbell's Tomato Soup, I was able to get by. IIRC, the soup was about $0.20/can and the Bisquick was $0.79/box. I made pancakes, dumplings, bread and a whole bunch of other crud. But, it was filling and got me by. I distinctly remember one time when I tore through the couch cushions and was elated to find the exact amount of change needed to buy a box of Bisquick.

I can't tell you how much I wish I was hunting back then. A single deer would have kept me in protein for a year!

RaggedClaws

• friend
Bisquick
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 11:44:50 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Somewhere on the box it tells you to add lemon juice and baking powder to your bisquick pancake batter. By all means, try it!
I just made these over the weekend for my wife and daughter.  They were delicious!  The added lemon juice, sugar, and baking powder really make a difference.

280plus

• friend
Bisquick
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »
They're downright awesome. Even Mrs 280 likes them. And she's a picky one! shocked

They're a little strange to cook at first because they're all foamy and stuff but man are they good!

Cheesy

bermbuster

• friend
Bisquick
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 03:57:39 AM »
Shortcake made with Bisquick (recipe is on the box) is the only kind my spouse will have.  Perfect with fresh fruit and a little cream or ice cream.  Yum, yum.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bisquick
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 04:26:02 AM »
I like to add 1 cup of grated extra sharp cheddar to the drop biscuit recipe, bake them, and when they are still warm from the oven, brush the tops with some garlic butter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

crt360

• friend
Bisquick
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 11:34:39 AM »
Bisquick is great, as long as you use it while it's still good.

If you're like me, you've encountered that old box of Bisquick in the pantry (behind the extra jars of pickles) and thought to yourself, "man, a big ol' pile of pancakes would be great."  You, like me, were too lazy to go to the store and get a fresh box.  You figured, "how bad could it be?"  After mixing up enough to feed yourself and many of your neighbors, you begin cooking.  They look so beautiful, plumping up just right, and turning a light golden brown.  You slap a few on a plate, butter 'em up, pour on some maple syrup, and cut a big triangle shaped bite.  Shocked  What the hell?  A bitter taste fills your mouth.  You take a few more bites, as if some other part of the pancake came out better.  You pour on more syrup and try again.  Still awful and nothing will make the taste go away.  All you can do now is cook up some sausage, have a beer, and make a mental note to yourself.
For entertainment purposes only.