Author Topic: New computer fraud scheme  (Read 849 times)

Preacherman

New computer fraud scheme
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:16:49 PM »
I've heard about that.

I had something somewhat similar happen to my computer a few months ago. I clicked where I shouldn't have clicked, and it downloaded a nasty series of trojans that essentially tried to coerce me into buying "virus protection software" that would clean up the problem.

Luckily mtnbkr knows his way around this kind of crap, and he saved me from a hard drive wipe and rebuild.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 04:47:21 AM »
Quoting from memory, a letter circa 192X from Major Smedly D. Butler in Nicaragua to Major General Commandant William Ward Burroughs, USMC:

"Yesterday we captured a Corporal who had been a deserter for 30 days.  After administering the obligatory 20 lashes and shaving his head we returned him to duty.  However, until we shoot one or two of these fellows, I do not believe that we will ever completely solve this problem."

Same goes for these fuzznuts keyboard commandos who feel that it's their mission to prove just how clever they are!  IMHO, invading somebody's privacy/destroying property/identity theft for fun/profit is no different than burglary and should be punished severely.

I guess my Viking/Hun DNA is running a little strong this morning.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 05:02:38 AM »
Same goes for these fuzznuts keyboard commandos who feel that it's their mission to prove just how clever they are!  IMHO, invading somebody's privacy/destroying property/identity theft for fun/profit is no different than burglary and should be punished severely.
But but but....It's just the Internet/Computer/Cyberspace, it isn't real, so it doesn't matter...[/sarcasm]

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 05:46:35 AM »
"But but but....It's just the Internet/Computer/Cyberspace, it isn't real, so it doesn't matter..."

I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to see the internet as being more real than anything off the box.

I've got to quit spending so much time online...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:45 AM »
I'm trying to remove this Trojan right now on a colleagues computer. I'm all for public torture for these folks that think they can get away with this.

Bring out stocks, racks, iron maidens or any of the other favorites from the Spanish Inquisition.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 02:59:50 PM »
If this the virus I think it is (Can't open the original link), its been cracked.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5038330.stm

http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/06/01/1758224.shtml

From the /. article: My Lord what are we coming to, these days even the virus authors don't know anything about writing secure software.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »
Isn't it obvious?  This isn't a problem because of dumbass script kiddies, tehy are just causing problems because society failed on them.  The real problem is the wide accessibility of the internet, along with users that don't know what they are doing.  I propose that internet access be limited to those only that can prove absolute need.  They will be forced to undergo rigirous training on computers, and not allowed access until they have completed a minimum of a half dozen internet related certifications.

(I'm just kidding, except that the problems really are made worse by people that really don't know what they are doing)
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'