Author Topic: So How is this any Different from what the Mullahs Do?  (Read 6653 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
So How is this any Different from what the Mullahs Do?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 05:13:34 AM »
You must have missed the millions of people killed by those religious fanatics Adolph Hitler, Joe Stalin, Mao Tze Tung, Pol Pot, Fidel Catro, etc etc
Nope, did not miss that.  Their religion was worship of the State, often with themselves as the embodiment of that State.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 05:27:05 AM »
Their religion was worship of the State
Bingo.  20th Century nationalism (and 21st, if you count some) is the new idolatry.

I just started my Tillich class.  Can you tell?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 05:27:30 AM »
Living with Neologism

Nope, did not miss that.  Their religion was worship of the State, often with themselves as the embodiment of that State.
Ahh, the Slick Willy Gambit.  Redefine the word to suit one's current needs* or get into semantic arguments over the meaning of the word "is."  It can be effective with some audiences.

* "Religion" now means anything bad or I consider immoral, up to and including stomping fluffy puppies with Birkinstocks.  I reserve the right to re-define as I deem necessary to bolster my eroding rhetorical position.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 06:42:34 AM »
Jfruser, I've learned not to expect more.  For some people "religion" is just a dirty word that connotes hypocrisy, dishonesty, sexism, and herd instinct.  About the way I view "Libertarian" in other words.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 06:50:36 AM »
Quote from: Sindawe
You must have missed the millions of people killed by those religious fanatics Adolph Hitler, Joe Stalin, Mao Tze Tung, Pol Pot, Fidel Catro, etc etc
LOL

You realize that by this logic athiests worship the absence of a god right?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 07:11:51 AM »
religion:

1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

2.  The life or condition of a person in a religious order.\

3.  A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

4.  A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=religion

You realize that by this logic athiests worship the absence of a god right?
Yes, and from the encounters I've had with atheists over the years, your assesment is correct.

I've no problem with FAITH that an individual may or may not have. It is when people surrender their wits to the will of a supposed learned or enlightened person with out question that the problems arise.  Hence my issue with ORGANIZED religion, the source of so much misery, hypocrisy and madness in our world.  Nationalism/Statism (what some here have labled secularism) has only killed so many more in the last century because our knowledge of the means to kill each other were so much more "advanced" in the last century than in those prior.

Jfruser, I've learned not to expect more.  For some people "religion" is just a dirty word that connotes hypocrisy, dishonesty, sexism, and herd instinct.  About the way I view "Libertarian" in other words.
Well, you're still young Grasshopper, the wisdom will come in time.  Be it in this life, or one that follows. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005, 05:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
I've no problem with FAITH that an individual may or may not have. It is when people surrender their wits to the will of a supposed learned or enlightened person with out question that the problems arise.  Hence my issue with ORGANIZED religion, the source of so much misery, hypocrisy and madness in our world.
ORGANIZED religion causes people to follow along blindly?  I thought that was because most people are intellectually lazy.  So if throughout history no one had agreed on religious matters, or worshipped together, then there would have been less madness, hypocricy and misery?  I don't see why.  

Maybe I don't understand the alternative you are proposing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife