Author Topic: Kids snorting candy?  (Read 6653 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Kids snorting candy?
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:49:09 AM »
I read this in last night's paper. I wonder where kids ever got the idea to try grinding up candy and snorting it? Where would they see someone snorting something? Movies? MTV? TV?

I have to laugh at the last paragraph, though. It's the drug-story equivalent of a news anchor reporting on a stabbing with a graphic of an AK47 on the screen behind him.

BIRMINGHAM — Alabama drug educators say they're concerned about a new trend among some children that involves crushing certain types of candy and then snorting or inhaling it.

The Birmingham News reports the trend is known as "smoking Smarties."

Carol Williams, project coordinator of the Shelby County Drug Free Coalition Project Safe Place Programs of Family Connection Inc., says children are literally inhaling sugar into their bodies.

Williams said children either crush candies or using already powdered candies such as Pixy Stix or powder drink packets such as KoolAid and snort them into their noses.

She said inhaling dust into the nasal cavities can lead to infections in the sinuses or upper respiratory system.

She adds that some children do it to mimic the act of smoking a cigarette.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Kids snorting candy?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »
Had a guy in my unit at my first duty station that would snort sugar.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »
My response in the other thread is appropriate here too...

I doubt it's a "trend" like the article says. Probably more like an isolated group of dipshits
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »
Well, I don't know about you, but even though I was a heavy smoker, I never tried snorting cigarettes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
Well, I don't know about you, but even though I was a heavy smoker, I never tried snorting cigarettes.

Did you ever try to smoke candy  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »

Does it do anything?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Does it do anything?

I wouldn't know.  He was our only black member of our unit and felt he had to do crazy *expletive deleted*it to try and fit in at times.  Really blew his mind one day shortly after I got there when I brought back to the room 2 x 40's of Old E.  Pissed him off when he realized they weren't for him. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »

Keeps you awake when caffeine has lost its efficiency.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »
I've never tried it, but heard a pixie stick burns like hell if you snort it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »
Keeps you awake when caffeine has lost its efficiency.

Details?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »
*snort*

As long as there have been pixie stix, there have been kids snorting pixie stixs.

a bunch of kids in my middle school got suspended for it (on the drug no tolerance policy. Mimicing drug use is part of it)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »
So ... what if you stick your pixie stix - oh, never mind  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »

a bunch of kids in my middle school got suspended for it (on the drug no tolerance policy. Mimicing drug use is part of it)

Okay. I think some of my brain cells just committed suicide.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
So ... what if you stick your pixie stix - oh, never mind  :angel:
Your horse would not be happy........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
Really blew his mind one day shortly after I got there when I brought back to the room 2 x 40's of Old E.  Pissed him off when he realized they weren't for him. >:D

Aw, that was wrong, Dawg.  :mad:

:lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
I have a bottle of Old Ezra that I have had for 30 years.

I'm just waiting for the right time to crack the seal..........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
Details?

After two days, caffeine had little to no effect of keeping you awake and alert.

Snorting a line of sugar will however work quite well. Not sure if it's from the adsorption of the sugar, or more likely the horrific burning and pain. Feels like smashing a rusty nail through your head, coated with lime juice.

Perks ya right up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 10:54:17 PM »
Snorting a line of sugar will however work quite well. Not sure if it's from the adsorption of the sugar, or more likely the horrific burning and pain. Feels like smashing a rusty nail through your head, coated with lime juice.

Perks ya right up.

Man, that's almost as dumb as taking arsenic to get high (hangs head in shame).

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »

Never tried sugar. I did, however, do a line of table salt once, with similar results.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 11:02:44 PM »
 I seem to remember having candy cigarettes as a kid
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »
guys use to do this at my highschool.

not the sharpest tool in the shed

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
I seem to remember having candy cigarettes as a kid

My mom was pretty pissed when those stopped being readily avalible. They were one of the four traditional candy items in my easter baskets. You can still get them sometimes as novilties, but they can be kinda hard to find.
I still have the box from the last pack she bought me.

The other one pissed her off even more, I thought she was gonna go all irrate when the stopped making the chopper chocolete bunny (there was a weird family wide tradition on that based on something my aunt said when she was a kid)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »
This ain't new.

I remember doing this in elementary school, in the late 80's.  Mostly just to frustrate the teachers.  We knew we wouldn't get high off it, and that it burned like all heck.  But when your teacher is being a jerk to someone else, or running a really boring class, it's just the ticket to change the direction of things in the classroom.

We'd grind up Smarties and snort 'em like coke.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
AZRedhaw44, somewhere along the line, someone must have gotten the idea to snort candy from seeing people snort drugs. It doesn't seem like the sort of behavior that develops naturally.

It's like toad-licking in Colorado a few years back. There's some species of toad that has a substance in its skin that can make a human being get high. As Rush Limbaugh asked, who was the first person to wonder what would happen if he licked a toad?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
It's like toad-licking in Colorado a few years back. There's some species of toad that has a substance in its skin that can make a human being get high. As Rush Limbaugh asked, who was the first person to wonder what would happen if he licked a toad?

My guess, someone was really hungry and couldn't get a fire going, so he ate it raw, got high and told his friends. Then they "experimented" until they found it wasn't necessary to eat it, just lick it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth