Author Topic: Tired of the marriage? Ready to walk out?  (Read 6656 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Tired of the marriage? Ready to walk out?
« on: April 21, 2005, 05:19:42 PM »
Here's how my nine year old feels about it. Maybe try counseling first.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 05:24:09 PM »
Out of the mouths of babes.............
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

trapperjohn

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 05:30:11 PM »
sometimes wisdom is just that obvious
When gun owners love their guns more than freedom, we have a problem.

Anna G.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 01:26:02 AM »
It is always good to try to amend things before leaving them, but keep in mind that children of divorced parents are hurt at first but do better in the long run than families with two parents with tension between them. Definately try counseling, but don't force it if you don't feel it's working out. Smiley

Pebcac

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 12:20:41 PM »
Jesus, man.  As a father of three, I can imagine how hard it must be to get something like that.  Hopefully, if Mrs. Stand_watie got one, too, it'll be the catalyst to a rebuilt marriage.  I hope you guys can work it out for your kids' sake--it's obvious what they want.  I'd say it's time for counseling.  Good luck.  I'll say a prayer for you guys.
Problem exists between computer and chair.

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 12:56:01 PM »
That's one precocious kid...

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

thumbody

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 09:54:51 AM »
I think counseling is worth a shot but don't stay just for the child.It has to be for the best for all, if you only do it for the kids I'm afraid you all will suffer. It's hard to pretend everything is alright when you know that its not.
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

TimH

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 10:54:30 AM »
Thet must have brought a teasr to your eye

P95Carry

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
Those messages hit home - that's a given.

Let me say this tho - as briefly as I can.

In early 80's my marriage was going down toilet ... and ultimately my wife and I lived rather separate lives, tho the kids still got both of us.  The decision in the end to split was in fact ''for the children'' - reason?  I particularly could foresee the environment they'd have to ''survive'' as being way more destructive if we ''stuck it out''.  They would suffer the stresses and burdens of a bad relationship altho still loved.

Suffice it to say - we divorced in '88 and from then on my kids came to visit in school vacation times and we spent in fact more quality time than would otherwise have ever been possible - in retrospect to us all - VERY precious time.  The divorce was - as divorces go - reasonably amicable and so they were not subjected to all the traumas of bitter divorces.  Neither did I or my ex mouth off to the kids about each other.  They just had parents who were not together but loved them just same.

By the grace of the divine - this strengthened them - and they have said since how they valued their childhoods.  I guess I was maybe one of a lucky few but - I do NOT think the ''stick together for sake of kids'' is always best.  The CAN suffer worse.  The most important IMO if it can work is that they not lose a feeling of equal love and still have security.  Easy to say - maybe harder to achieve.... plus at the age yours are - certainly they will feel they have to do anything to keep things together - it seems the best and simplest to them and they understandably want a coherent family unit.

So many factors have to weighed up.  I am thankful now to be 5 years into #2 marriage - I am blessed truly.  I also have kids (now 28 and 30) who are my dearest friends ... and have each presented me with a grandchild.

I hope your situation can be resolved to a workable state.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Chris

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »
Damn.  Makes you think, or at least it should.  Do the right thing by the boy, whether the marriage survives or not.  He's obviously worth it.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 06:31:32 PM »
if you do get divorced:

a) stay on good terms with your ex-wife
b) do it now rather than let resentment build until there is no possibility for a harmonious separation.

My parents got divorced when I was 5,  it didn't screw me for life.  

atek3

nico

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 07:12:25 PM »
I agree with the others that you shouldn't "stay together for the kids" but you should definitely get counseling if for no other reason than the kids.  I've had a few friends over the years in both situations.  The ones whose parents got divorced and remained on good terms ended up far better than the ones whose parents stayed together "for the kids" which usually ends up being "until they can't stand to be in each other's presence and get divorced anyway but end up making the kids feel forced to choose a side."  If I had to chose one or the other, I'd much rather have my parents divorced but able to be civil/friendly with each other than have them try to stick it out for too long.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 07:28:54 PM »
In my case it was

"I'm tired of the marriage, but instead of mentioning it to my husband who thinks he is happily married, I'll have an affair with some dirty old creep I met on the internet and then when he catches me at it tell him the marriage is over".
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

nico

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 07:53:58 PM »
Eh, I'm not sure if I should just keep my mouth shut, but I don't see how I could stay with someone who cheated on me.  Adultery is a betrayal on a level that is unforgiveable and shows a disdain for the relationship that can't be reconciled IMO.  Marital problems are one thing, but adultery is a complete deal breaker IMO and in that situation I'm pretty sure divorce would be the best choice for me, especially since she didn't fess up of her own accord.  I think I'd have to tell the kids that I'd explain it to them someday but that mommy and daddy just can't be together anymore and that you guys still love them just as much, etc. . .   YMMV of course and you have my sincere sympathy:\

Sean Smith

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
In my case it was

"I'm tired of the marriage, but instead of mentioning it to my husband who thinks he is happily married, I'll have an affair with some dirty old creep I met on the internet and then when he catches me at it tell him the marriage is over".
You've got to be kidding me.  That isn't an issue of being "tired of the marriage."  That's an issue of being married to a worthless human being.

If you stay married to her, you are an idiot, cute/sad kid behavior notwithstanding.  They don't understand that mommy was an unfaithful slut and might have given daddy AIDS.  But YOU do.  Anyway, do you really want a total whore like that to raise your kids?  I wouldn't.  Then again, odds are against you getting sole custody anyway, no matter how awful a human being the mommy is.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 11:16:38 AM »
I'd get the hell away from her, if that's how you feel.  The kid seems smart enough to understand.

Here's something I saw on TheHighRoad.org and saved it in my personal collection, seemed like sound advice:
--------------------
My ex threatened to slam her face into a door frame until her face was black and blue then call the cops and tell them I beat her.

Shook me up good.

I then reminded her that her little sister had two children by a man that wasn't her husband WHILE she was married. The poor slob thinks they're his kids. I told her I would pay for the paternity suit(s) if necessary to blow her family relationships and happiness all to hell and back.

The best advice you can take is to get your own attorney, and remember these few simple things :

1 - IT'S OVER. No going back, fixing or saving the marriage - PERIOD.

2 - At this point, it is a game of cat and mouse to see who comes out with the most assets, kids etc..

3 - She is already screwing someone else. Yep, your little sweetie, has to have a shoulder to cry on, and the p**sy goes to anyone who will listen and say 'ooooh.. you poor thing'.

4 - Keep your mouth shut. Don't talk about the details, or how rotten you feel to ANYONE. Your attorney won't care if you feel bad, but he will damned sure do his best to cut another notch in his gunbelt with a win in court. That's how attorneys keep score - for most of them, it's an ego thing.

5 - If you have receipts or can prove ownership of the guns prior to marriage, send copies of it to your attorney.

6 - Don't talk to her or her attorney at all.

7 - If you have any mutual friends, just say 'yeah it's sucks... I still love her' or some such drivel, then change the subject or leave. You never know who your real friends are until times like these. If said mutual friends are a couple, the female will almost always side with her, the guy will keep his mouth shut and go along with whatever she says so he can keep getting laid. Nothing is more cancerous to ANY relationship, than having a woman telling another how bad men are. If things get really rough and they are called to testify, by that time your ex's story will almost certainly be perceived as fact by many of your so called mutual friends.

8 - Keep your dick in your pants. Don't go party, drink a few beers with the guys or date other women. A photograph of you laughing it up and having a good time will most certainly be presented in court as proof that you are a womanizer, alcoholic or were never home long enough to give your ex the 'attention' she needed to make the marriage work. You know, she always wanted to work things out, get counseling etc.. you were always out screwing around or getting drunk.

9 - Get over it. Don't look back. Any good memories you have weren't real. She was a bit*h then too, you were just too blinded by the nookie to see it.

10 - Get the hell off of the public forums. Anything you post (even joking) will be presented to a judge (or jury) whom most likely doesn't understand or find gun humor funny.

In short - shut up, lay low and get an attorney.

It's time to get in the game man, no avoiding it.

Rely on every instinct of self-preservation and survival that you have in you.

You are being hunted, by someone with vengence. The attorney has personal gain at stake and your ex has already sunk a pick axe in your chest. Trust the fact that yes, even your little snookums is trying to destroy you. Why doesn't matter, you have taken the first hit - don't take another.

Knowing full well you are now a target, what does your gut tell you to do ?

Play the game and don't give up any advantage. There are no winners in divorce, but someone will come out ahead.

Screw the guns, walk the line and take any advantage you can find. Don't provide the opportunity for them to get an advantage on you.

Good luck with it. It sucks for sure, but two years from now you will have a new wench, a couple of new toys and NONE of the headache afforded you now.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

wasrjoe

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 11:40:14 AM »
Wow, I am never getting married. EVER.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

nico

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 05:31:37 PM »
It's never to early to make them understand and ultimately turn them against her forever. big_smile
yeah it is.  With a kid that young, if he tries to explain that "mommy is a bad person" all he'll end up doing is making them feel like they have to take a side.  

IMO, the best counseling in this situation may be for you and your kids to deal with the impending divorce.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 06:34:25 PM »
yeah it is.  With a kid that young, if he tries to explain that "mommy is a bad person" all he'll end up doing is making them feel like they have to take a side
Daddy isn't interested in turning his daughter against her mother.  Regardless, she's already knows the right from the wrong in the matter. She found out (from her mother) about the boyfriend - the difficulty posed now is going to be in her being able to forgive her mother.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 08:47:34 AM »
Only one old man?? Wow, you lucked out, it was 11 when I found out what my ex was doing.  Get rid of her now, she will not change.

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 05:08:46 PM »
Why forgive when you can forget?

God almighty I hate sluts.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2005, 10:56:43 AM »
In my case it was

Brother, that sent a stab through me. Sorry to hear it, man.

Sounds, though, like the choice has been made, at least on her side, and once it's done, it's done. Best get it finished as soon and as cleanly as possible.

Again, sorry to hear it.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!