Author Topic: Banjo music  (Read 6673 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Banjo music
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 11:44:29 AM »
Now bagpipes drive me up a wall! I get massive headaches from some sounds and smells and bagpipes are a sure trigger for me.

The English had the same problem  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »
The difference between a banjo and a trampoline?  You are expected to take your shoes off when you jump on a trampoline.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
"Perfect Pitch": Getting the banjo in the dumpster on yer first throw.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »
Leave the bagpipes out of this.

The problem is most pipers know "Amazing Grace", "Danny Boy", "Scotland the Brave" and possibly some generic reel tune.  Now imagine a line of men in skirts walking towards you, being led by some crazed man squeezing a cat to this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PKSOAtUjc

stay safe.

I'm imagining it.  And I'm planning where my first round would go.   >:D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 02:21:28 PM »
I like bagpipes, as long as they are played outside.

My mom almost killed someone over this subject.

As far as banjo's, my mom got really heavy into folk music when I was a kid. So we were always going to jams and parties and festivals. Two things I'm very used to are falling asleep surronded by musicians playing bluegrass/old-time/folk music and being shoved into a small car with an upright bass.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »

Well, he hasn't done any comedy since sometime in the 80s, so...

He's had 30+ roles in movies and TV since 1990. Not all were comedy but he has ad steady work.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
I don't mind banjo music. It's just I am a Blues/Funk/Classic Rock drummer and we don't get many banjo players in those genres. A good friend of mine plays the banjo and we swap jokes all the time. Now bagpipes drive me up a wall! I get massive headaches from some sounds and smells and bagpipes are a sure trigger for me. My Scottish ancestors are not happy with me!

I've never noticed any unusual smells from bagpipes, now bagpipe players are another story...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
He's had 30+ roles in movies and TV since 1990. Not all were comedy but he has ad steady work.

And if you've seen them, you know that none of them are comedies.  =|  :P He just hasn't been funny in a long time, is my point.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »

And if you've seen them, you know that none of them are comedies.  =|  :P He just hasn't been funny in a long time, is my point.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
I like bagpipes, as long as they are played outside.

One of my favorite little jokes on a first date with a woman is to ask if she's ever had a guy serenade her, standing outside her window playing romantic music. All say no, and I then say, "next time I'll bring my accordion."  When she makes a disapproving sound, I say, "I'm kidding. I don't play the accordion." Pause, then "I play the bagpipes."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »
Leave the bagpipes out of this.

The problem is most pipers know "Amazing Grace", "Danny Boy", "Scotland the Brave" and possibly some generic reel tune.  Now imagine a line of men in skirts walking towards you, being led by some crazed man squeezing a cat to this tune https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7PKSOAtUjc

stay safe.

I've heard a story about the battle of El Alamein where a British (or maybe Scottish) regiment was pinned down by the Germans and their commander called back and ask for a platoon of tanks or a bagpiper.

I've always wanted to go to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBYVmnMFMtA

Meanwhile back to banjo players:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:22:27 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.