Author Topic: Chris Christie  (Read 5602 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Chris Christie
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
We have a very good governor in VA.

However, this is definitely the first time I've ever been jealous of ANYTHING New Jersey.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2Q0MWFjYzJmNmFjMGUzMzMzZTJjYzAxMGU0MGRjZmM=

THAT'S what a statesman should sound like.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Chris Christie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
I've noticed his name has been making splashes in the news and blogosphere the last few days. We've not seen a critter like him in office for a while. If he keeps up the game he'll either be assassinated or run for President.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
As a former Jersey resident, I kept a close eye on the last election.  Christie, so far, is much better than I would have anticipated.  I figured he was your typical Northeast Republican but he seems to have moved a bit to the right since taking office.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »
Well, I was willing to write off NJ like teh Lord wrote off Sodom & Gomorrah.  Lot could find no righteous man in S&G. 

Looks like the NJ-directed hellfire & brimstone will have to wait.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:46:01 PM »
Chris Christie is who Ron Paul ought to be.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:32:17 PM »
Chris Christie is who Ron Paul ought to be.

Nah, I'm sure Christie still has some anti-liberty positions. 

<quick google>

Heh.

HANNITY: Are there any issues where you are, quote, moderate to left as a Republican?

CHRISTIE: Listen, I favor some of the gun-control measures we have in New Jersey.

HANNITY: Bad idea.

CHRISTIE: Listen, we have a densely-populated state, and there's a big hand gun problem in New Jersey. Now, I don't support all the things that the governor supports by a long stretch. But I think on guns — certain gun control issues, looking at it from a law-enforcement perspective, seeing how many police officers were killed, we have an illegal gun problem in New Jersey.

Another northeastern gun-grabbing hoplophobe, despite his pulling a "full romney" on abortion.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
I find it more than interesting that any time a public republican grows a spine and speaks directly, forcefully, and without equivocation we hear cries "PRESIDENT". 

What republicans need is someone who ACTS directly, forcefully, and without equivocation.  Christie appears to be one such republican.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
Has he always been like this, or is he just hitching a ride on the TEA Party wagon?

I think jfroosters post clears that up.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
Nah, I'm sure Christie still has some anti-liberty positions. 
I'll stipulate that Christie is not ideal.

Question: How does he compare with his predecessor, Jon Corzine? Worse . . . or better?

This is in the same vein as Scott Brown, the new senator from Massachusettes . . . not exactly a hardcore conservative, but look at what he replaced.

By analogy, look at it this way: contracting the flu isn't so bad if the alternative is bubonic plague, ebola, or AIDS.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Reasonable people/citizens who are involved in participation in our government should take up the slogan:  "Pay attention to what they do, not what they say."

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

PTK

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
:D

FANTASTIC!

This is who I am, this is who the people elected.

I came here to govern. I came here to do what people sent me here to do.

Blunt, direct... maybe you can say "honest and refreshing".

=D =D =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
I'll stipulate that Christie is not ideal.

Question: How does he compare with his predecessor, Jon Corzine? Worse . . . or better?

This is in the same vein as Scott Brown, the new senator from Massachusettes . . . not exactly a hardcore conservative, but look at what he replaced.

By analogy, look at it this way: contracting the flu isn't so bad if the alternative is bubonic plague, ebola, or AIDS.

I'll give you no argument WRT his superiority to the previous governor. 

HTG's point was that CC was what Ron Paul ought to have been.  I don't think so, because RP's core is full tilt boogie for liberty and small gov't follows from that.  CC doesn't mind the state treating you like a subject, as long as it does so at a discount.

With "northeastern" (read: statist) values like support for gun control, CC just is not going to go over well with the majority of Republicans. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:16 AM »
Baby steps are better than the stroller.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »
NJ has so many problems that loosening of gun control, while important to people like us, is just not that high on the list of priorities there.  I like CC as a governor of NJ.  Would I like him as POTUS, or even a senator?  Who knows.  If he changed some of those statist tendancies then maybe.  Or even if he just declined to act on them. 
Formerly sumpnz

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »
I'm in the baby steps camp.

Hell, a lot of NJ's gun laws are going to come under attack post-MacDonald.  If Christie will simply lay back and, however "publically regretfully", take it as "settled law on the RKBA" rather than fight we'll be points ahead.

It's going to take a bit to reacquaint much of the NE with what real gun rights are.  If Christie and Brown et al remain popular and get people willing to vote less Leftie then the chances improve for folks better on gun rights but similar in other respects to them to get into their state Legislatures.  They'll have cracked the seal and un-demonized the "R".

It's up to the NJ leg. to change their laws in any event.  I'd rather have a Christie-type make the "support law enforcement noises" to get/stay elected but then, again slightly regretfully for public consumption, sign whatever pro-gun bills the local pro-gun folks can get through the Legislature on the grounds of "respecting the will of the people".  If he doesn't veto the good changes it's a win, he doesn't need to clap while he does it. 

Given the current budget situation he can probably try to deflect new legislation by pointing to the larger problems facing the state and the cost of defending such legislation post-Mac.  He can probably even justify vetoing bad stuff on the grounds of cost-cutting without losing support.

He's better off playing it close to the vest on guns all things considered.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 01:32:33 AM »
Baby steps are better than the stroller.

And I think we all agree with that.  The question was whether Christie is Ron Paul 2.0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
Ron Paul is a visionary with, unfortunately, one bad eye.   He blows it on national defense and illegal immigration.  On most of the rest he's a voice crying in the wilderness.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »
I'll give you no argument WRT his superiority to the previous governor.  

HTG's point was that CC was what Ron Paul ought to have been.  I don't think so, because RP's core is full tilt boogie for liberty and small gov't follows from that.  CC doesn't mind the state treating you like a subject, as long as it does so at a discount.

With "northeastern" (read: statist) values like support for gun control, CC just is not going to go over well with the majority of Republicans.  

Fine, then let me be a little more specific.

Chris Christie is what Ron Paul ought to be: effective.

Christie is vocal, articulate, persuasive, and he's an effective leader.  While Ron Paul is busy inspiring loons to put his face on gold coins, Christie is successfully turning around one of the worst bloated blue nanny states we have.  Christie is tacking on the biggest problem our country faces right now, bloated government spending, and he's getting results.

If you like Ron Paul's policy preferences, fine.  I happen to think he misses the mark in areas such as economics and national defense.  Government has a roll in protecting the people's lives, liberty and property, and in my opinion Ron Paul wouldn't get it done in all areas.  But that's a discussion for another day.

The point here and now is that Christ Christie is getting it done whereas Ron Paul is not.  

Keep an eye on NJ.  You'll be amazed what a guy like this can do in a few years.  My man Mitch, from back in Indiana, was the same kind of guy as Christie.  Maybe a little less blunt and forward than Christie, but he had the same qualities of leadership, persuasiveness, and effectiveness.  Over the past few years Mitch has quietly privatized huge swaths of the state government, cut our property taxes, reformed the budget, and in general been a great administrator.  Compare Indiana to our neighboring states of Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio.  We're mostly OK, they're totally screwed.  Our leadership is a major factor in that.

A guy like Chris Christie can save NJ.  A guy like Ron Paul can't.  A guy like Chris Christie did save (preemptively) Indiana, a guy like Ron Paul wouldn't have made any difference.  Our country desperately needs guys like Chris Christie elected to positions far and wide, at local, state, and federal levels.  Without a doubt, Christie is the model we need to pursue.

And I don't know what Republican circles you travel in, but all the Reps I talk to (mostly in conservative flyover country) know and love Chris Christie.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.